Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Where is the screen game?

Penix under pressure the entire game. Johnson caught 75 balls at MSU last year. Somehow we don't have a single screen called to slow down their rush?

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club

Penix under pressure the entire game. Johnson caught 75 balls at MSU last year. Somehow we don't have a single screen called to slow down their rush?

I was thinking more like how about trying a draw play? I thought that the whole game. Like Rich Alexis vs Oregon State in 2000.

But our running game was working fairly well last night as it was.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club

I was thinking more like how about trying a draw play? I thought that the whole game. Like Rich Alexis vs Oregon State in 2000.

Johnson should've had another 5 carries. We? could have put the game away up 29 - 18 if Grubb doesn't go completely pass happy for two consecutive possessions.
    I'm going to bring this up on today's pod
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732
    where did oregons backup corner come from? i know he gave up the game winner but that guy looks like a pete carrol protege
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,847 Swaye's Wigwam
    phineas said:

where did oregons backup corner come from? i know he gave up the game winner but that guy looks like a pete carrol protege

Their “overrated” recruiting classes.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,698 Founders Club
    Yeah not much TE contribution lately either. Hopefully both will be seen at the Pac Championship.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,477 Swaye's Wigwam

Johnson should've had another 5 carries. We? could have put the game away up 29 - 18 if Grubb doesn't go completely pass happy for two consecutive possessions.
    Same issues at Arizona with getting cute.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,612

If there's something that I would knock Grubb on it's that we don't seem to adjust play-calling based on what is/isn't working. You saw it yesterday and you saw it against Texas last year as well.

Both of those games were against teams that had way above average defensive talent relative to the other teams on our schedule. In both of those games our O Line held up pretty well but the front 7 of both Texas and Oregon were effective in speeding up Penix and getting hands in passing lanes. They were table to be aggressive and we didn't adjust at all to make them pay for it.

I love Grubb but we're going to lose a big game because of it at some point.

Good point and I was asking my seatmate why we weren't seeing any screens to help keep the pass rush honest.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,418 Swaye's Wigwam
    What about moving Penix out of the pocket at all? He glued his cleats down the entire game and took some hits. Didn't help the oline by being that immobile
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,329 Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

What about moving Penix out of the pocket at all? He glued his cleats down the entire game and took some hits. Didn't help the oline by being that immobile

Love Penix. Only question is if he is the GOAT at UW at QB. That said, I don't want to see another not mobile QB at UW. It's just so much harder to defend. A rare play I loved in the Petersen era was the misdirection screen back to Gaskin they executed perfectly against Alabama on the first drive.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,418 Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Love Penix. Only question is if he is the GOAT at UW at QB. That said, I don't want to see another not mobile QB at UW. It's just so much harder to defend. A rare play I loved in the Petersen era was the misdirection screen back to Gaskin they executed perfectly against Alabama on the first drive.
    Absolutely. The margin for error is just tighter when you don't have that escapability. Most of the QBs in the PAC can do it
    Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

Absolutely. The margin for error is just tighter when you don't have that escapability. Most of the QBs in the PAC can do it
    You have to be a virtuoso with great receivers like Penix to work as a true drop back to me in the college game now. The OLs are always going to have holes so it's hard to deal with it without being mobile.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,361 Founders Club

Good point. I was dumbfounded at our play calling up two scores. Made absolutely zero sense.
  • MakaDawgMakaDawg Member Posts: 492
    Bernard disappeared for much of the second half (must have gotten injured) but he’d be a killer in the screen game.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter
    MakaDawg said:

Bernard disappeared for much of the second half (must have gotten injured) but he’d be a killer in the screen game.

He got hurt on special teams

MakaDawg said:

He got hurt on special teams
    Took a bad shot to the ankle/calf at the end of his pretty good kick return.
  • gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,729 Swaye's Wigwam
    in game chat i was commenting how I love it when we are throwing to DJ (I like to call him that)... I agree we should be using his hands more, he has great ones.