Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some rewatch observations

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
A few random thoughts after the rewatch:

Only big concern for me was penalties (and maybe FG kicking). Gotta clean some stuff up for sure, especially the 15 yarders. Troy got away with at least one more false start than they called on him. OTOH this might have been the worst officiating crew I can remember. The non fumble was egregious. The holds were pretty questionable for me. Refs just clueless on multiple plays.

We looked good on grass!
Jabbar Muhammad is always in position. Every bit a #DBU corner. Impossible to overstate how big of a jump he is from anything we had last year. I think his value is being overlooked a bit.
ZTF is back! Massive development if this holds. He looked explosive.
Other DBs looked good, especially considering all the injuries.
Run defense the best it's looked all year for me, and this was the team I was afraid might be able to push us around some. Tuli is still a stud in the middle of the DL.
TE is really deep.
WRs made some plays, they might be pretty good. QB has a little potential I think.

Legitimate CFP contender. And not just for the four seed. Pac12 play gonna be fun.

Comments

• Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FG kicking little sus but I can't imagine they get stopped before the red zone almost ever going forward so there shouldn't be too many long kicks
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Not disagreeing with any of the observations. We looked great. That being said, I'm not as excited as some after the win because I'm not sure we learned a lot that we didn't already know.

Michigan State was bad... like, really bad. Their QB would be the worst QB in the Pac 12 and it's not even close. Athletically I think they were probably a step up from Boise but still, they were weak in the secondary and in the pash rush. That combination of deficiencies is going to get you blasted playing UW.

Also, team may have given up due to Mel Tugger situation. Talentwise, I think they are better than they played but they were, indeed, God awful.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Meant to mention the running game and ST (outside FG kicking). Running game still not used a ton (and when you can pass like we can I am good with that) but Johnson looked much more physical than I anticipated and Tybo has some nice burst. Both of them looked better than I expected any RB to look this year. Super encouraging since the one thing Michigan State is great at is producing DL. This OL seems to have come together even without Mele (and Buelow). If they can open holes like that consistently and we have a run game when we need it the offense is officially unfair. Strong day for the backs and run blocking.

Special teams coverage is really nice and we hit hard. Germie is so slippery on KO returns, he's gonna break one eventually. Would be nice to see the punt return unit open a hole but that's nitpicking at this point. Jalen made at least one bad decision on fielding a punt inside the 5 but got bailed out by the clear unnecessary roughness.

Complete performance really.

Did Mele play at all? It was still 1st quarter when I noticed Brailsford at center (I think) but didn’t see an obvious injury substitution.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Meant to mention the running game and ST (outside FG kicking). Running game still not used a ton (and when you can pass like we can I am good with that) but Johnson looked much more physical than I anticipated and Tybo has some nice burst. Both of them looked better than I expected any RB to look this year. Super encouraging since the one thing Michigan State is great at is producing DL. This OL seems to have come together even without Mele (and Buelow). If they can open holes like that consistently and we have a run game when we need it the offense is officially unfair. Strong day for the backs and run blocking.

Special teams coverage is really nice and we hit hard. Germie is so slippery on KO returns, he's gonna break one eventually. Would be nice to see the punt return unit open a hole but that's nitpicking at this point. Jalen made at least one bad decision on fielding a punt inside the 5 but got bailed out by the clear unnecessary roughness.

Did Mele play at all? It was still 1st quarter when I noticed Brailsford at center (I think) but didn’t see an obvious injury substitution.
    No. Mele is out for a few weeks. Maybe more.
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,008
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Whole team looks to talk a lot of shit.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

dnc said:

No. Mele is out for a few weeks. Maybe more.
    Completely missed that but then again, I didn’t do much Twitterind nor spend time reading about this game by Friday.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

He's out for the year, didn't play any
  • Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Dang, big hit. Banks is done for the year too.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    we finally have QB with a big penix @MikeDamone
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,507
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

@JoeEDangerously made a good point that while the Polk TD was lucky it's the kind of plays that happen to good teams you write off as luck but it happens because when you're good and know it and expect good things players are more on the look out and confident and expecting to make big plays instead of the other way around. It's one reason why the modest OKG Petersen shit sucked because even though they were good they never played with that energy.

Not many db's are going to intercept an absolute fucking laser like that. At worst it's just an incompletion.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,348
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Was there ever any explanation as to why the booth never reviewed that obvious fumble after having an abundance! of time to do so?

Maybe booth man was taking a dump at the time? Replay should be beyond that kind of shit happening by now.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,507
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

Was there ever any explanation as to why the booth never reviewed that obvious fumble after having an abundance! of time to do so?

Maybe booth man was taking a dump at the time? Replay should be beyond that kind of shit happening by now.

Because they were Pac 12 refs.