Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

One sign that we are getting fatter as a country:

haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,487
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
Fucking pickleball.

The rules are shittier and less intuitive than tennis, the flow of the game is shittier than tennis, the ball isn't as fun to hit as a tennis ball. If you're at a beach or where there's wind the game turns shitty quickly.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that tennis is too much running for all these fat ass Americans. You actually have to have some semblance of athleticism to play it.

If you're old I can kind of get it although playing 🎾 pretty much gets you your entire days worth of exercise done within an hour.

It's fucking weird how the pickleball to tennis court ratio is like 7:1 now.

40% growth and one of the most popular sports now and celebrities are all pimping it?

Cornhole trend is less pathetic than this. A slobby drunk with an arthritis brace throwing a sand bag is at least honest.

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You're getting this all backwards. It's not that Americans are too fat for tennis, it's that Americans are just way too fit and athletic for ping pong.

It's a dumb game half empty/dumb game half full question of perspective, and you need a walk on the beach.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,505
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pickleball was invented on Bainbridge Island.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,487
    Swaye's Wigwam

You're getting this all backwards. It's not that Americans are too fat for tennis, it's that Americans are just way too fit and athletic for ping pong.

It's a dumb game half empty/dumb game half full question of perspective, and you need a walk on the beach.

It's modeled after ping pong rules, but I don't consider ping pong a sport. That you can't really play doubles in it is a big disqualifier.

It's just pathetic how the same people that refuse to play tennis are now obsessed with pickleball. They aren't athletic enough to hit anything but a slow moving wiffleball.

The serve rules for pickleball are the pussiest old person shit I've ever seen. What's the point of even serving if you're doing it underhand.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,276
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    That shit is so annoying when trying to play REAL tennis. The sound is irritating.

Doubles tennis is barely exercise. There is no chance pickleball has health benefits beyond simply being outside and not sitting down, and I guess maintaining coordination and dexterity.

Thank real god for clay tennis courts which are free from pickleball bullshit.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

That shit is so annoying when trying to play REAL tennis. The sound is irritating.

Doubles tennis is barely exercise. There is no chance pickleball has health benefits beyond simply being outside and not sitting down, and I guess maintaining coordination and dexterity.

I've seen pretty damn decrepit old folks playing reasonable tennis, both doubles and singles. I wouldn't call the singles competitive as they usually just crack ground strokes back and forth to each other until one screws up. They can hit sweet shots with velocity though, and hitting hard, accurate shots is enjoyable in itself. Like @haie said it's satisfying to hit a tennis ball well similar to a baseball or golf ball.

I've seen some pretty rousing doubles matches among senior citizens though. The father of my best friend growing up was a HS teacher and the tennis coach. That was in the 80s and my friend moved away 25 years ago but I've become friends with the old man as an adult. He's long retired as a teacher but still coaches the HS team and has serious game in his upper 70s. He just sticks to doubles for competitive matches.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,926
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

I wish I could play REAL tennis. But my rotator cuff is too fucked up from my horrific ski accident. @MrsSnow loves tennis and I need to find her some gals to play with.

I don't have a problem with Pickleball as a game like anything else, but it's definitely not exercise.

The pickleball fatties probably think some BS diet like keto or paleo will save them too. The number one predictor of a person's lifespan is VO2 max so me and @whlinder are saved.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Young Throbber played on the junior tennis circuit as a young lad. But then had misguided dreams of an NBA career and gave up the sport.

About the only regret of my life.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Young Throbber played on the junior tennis circuit as a young lad. But then had misguided dreams of an NBA career and gave up the sport.

Lil' piss 1.0 thinks he's gonna be an NFL QB. He's does have a cannon of an arm for a lanky ass 5'3" 9 year old.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,252
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I played tennis for a long time (left-handed during beisbol season), but stopped at about age 35 due to Father Tim, and being on the other side of the net for two friends blowing Achillies out in a two week span...

I also played a shit-load of pickle ball, well before it was "IN", or anyone knew what it was. About 30 years ago at the school I was at, the corches played IM hoops, M-W-F. On Tuesday/Thursday, we were bored. One of the asst. ADs was spotted upstairs in the gym, with heavy-duty tape, making a court. Cut up an old volleyball net, and it was on. Coaches' league (with a few profs that we liked), ultra-competitive (to the point of thrown paddles, copious amounts of F-bombs, near-coming to blows, and a couple concussions from running into walls), and we fucking loved it...Fall, winter, spring leagues for the 9 years I was there, singles and doubles. We would go down on the weekends and play, just for something to do, and, it is like golf in that you can drink beer while playing, if you so choose...

I do scoff at it being the "newest craze", but IFL'ed it...
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,140
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I told my wife Pickleball is big because we’re too lazy for tennis. She looked at me like I was crazy, that’s how I knew I was RIGHT.
  • Options

Lil' piss 1.0 thinks he's gonna be an NFL QB. He's does have a cannon of an arm for a lanky ass 5'3" 9 year old.
    Right or left handed? I know some guysm…
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,906
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Fucking pickleball.

The rules are shittier and less intuitive than tennis, the flow of the game is shittier than tennis, the ball isn't as fun to hit as a tennis ball. If you're at a beach or where there's wind the game turns shitty quickly.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that tennis is too much running for all these fat ass Americans. You actually have to have some semblance of athleticism to play it.

If you're old I can kind of get it although playing 🎾 pretty much gets you your entire days worth of exercise done within an hour.

It's fucking weird how the pickleball to tennis court ratio is like 7:1 now.

40% growth and one of the most popular sports now and celebrities are all pimping it?

Cornhole trend is less pathetic than this. A slobby drunk with an arthritis brace throwing a sand bag is at least honest.

This.

I play tennis, kiddos play tennis. Bet you can’t guess which member of my family doesn’t play tennis…
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,505
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tennis could very well be the worst sport for someone to pick up if they're fat. Sounds like an ACL waiting to happen.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

@Fishpo31 we did not tie his right arm behind his back at an early age.

Also - and I mean no disrespeck - Mrs Snow and I loathe the though of youth travel beisbol.

Probably, leaving millions of dollars on the table. We are terrible parents.
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    3rd grade pickleball CHAMP. Come at me faggot!
  • Options

Fishpo31 said:

Also - and I mean no disrespeck - Mrs Snow and I loathe the though of youth travel beisbol.

No disrespeck taken...I was mocking the state of Yute baseball in general. He should play whatever he wants to, for as long as he wants to, not because Dad and Mom dumped $5G into year-round training, and twice that for family "vacations" to play for endless "World Series" trophies, and ultimately the "FULL RIDE scholarship"...

#Showcaseparents
    #Pocketfullofschollies
  • Options
    Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

No disrespeck taken...I was mocking the state of Yute baseball in general. He should play whatever he wants to, for as long as he wants to, not because Dad and Mom dumped $5G into year-round training, and twice that for family "vacations" to play for endless "World Series" trophies, and ultimately the "FULL RIDE scholarship"...

#Showcaseparents
    #Pocketfullofschollies
    After a few cacktails, I will tell you that I gave my old man grief about not tying my right arm down, until the day he died…I use my left arm/hand for everything except throwing. An old scout (a big tim guy, too) once told me, after I had thrown a complete game where my catcher had to tie my spikes because my back was fucked up, “If you were left-handed, I’d sign you right fucking now”…so I became a pitching corch…Ooh La La…