Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PAC Deal Framework

Comments

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,465
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    LebamDawg said:

Guarantee fuck nuts like this don't watch football. Lot of support on Twitter for Apple. Like there was for the innovative Pac 12 network. Uw stays they die. If they die they die

and they are all watching women's soccer
    FOX got 6.43 million viewers for a 1-1 draw this week

That's more than any Pac-12 championship game ever
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,992
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

You take a B1G offer right now even if it’s below the best- case pac offer.

You need to align yourself with the most passionate and visible football communities immediately not some Larry Scott vision of a streaming future that taps the Chinese market, etc.

Cfb is all about prestige and visibility and the B1G financial upside is so much bigger than anything the pac can offer, even if you lose out on millions over the next 5 years.

I am not confident there is an offer from the BiG right now. I am not sure their teams in the conference want to expand right now. It would take a commissioner really pitching the idea that they HAVE to do it. A bunch of have-nots in the conference will have to sign off on it and I am just not sure they are motivated to do it unless somehow fox gives out more money for a couple of west coast teams to come on.

TL DR. Maryland and Rutgers twist the knife.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

You need to align yourself with the most passionate and visible football communities immediately not some Larry Scott vision of a streaming future that taps the Chinese market, etc.

Cfb is all about prestige and visibility and the B1G financial upside is so much bigger than anything the pac can offer, even if you lose out on millions over the next 5 years.

I am not confident there is an offer from the BiG right now. I am not sure their teams in the conference want to expand right now. It would take a commissioner really pitching the idea that they HAVE to do it. A bunch of have-nots in the conference will have to sign off on it and I am just not sure they are motivated to do it unless somehow fox gives out more money for a couple of west coast teams to come on.

That’s ALWAYS been my biggest concern with the B10
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

That’s ALWAYS been my biggest concern with the B10
    If they don't get the offer The big 12 is a death sentence anyways. It's big 10 or bust. NEM.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,465

Tequilla said:

I just read that Apple TV has 25 million subscribers. You think between 80 and 120% of them are going to pay to watch the PAC Fucking 12?

Yep … biggest elephant in the room

There are ways to increase those numbers … for example T-Mobile customers were given the option to get the MLS package for free (similar to what they do for MLB)

But it’s a HUGE bet that is a giant leap of faith
    How many of those 25 million subscribers are on a promo deal because they bought a new Apple product recently?

I had AppleTV for 3 months after getting g a new iPad. Watched the first 2 seasons of Ted Lasso.

Mrs Nacho got a new iPhone and 3 free months. We finished season 3 of Ted Lasso in early June. Haven’t looked at AppleTV since then and she canceled her sub yesterday.
    Really depends on whether Apple can secure programming that people want to watch

It's $6.99/mo which is way less than YouTubeTV for the 4 months we get college football
  • Options

Tequilla said:

I just read that Apple TV has 25 million subscribers. You think between 80 and 120% of them are going to pay to watch the PAC Fucking 12?

There are ways to increase those numbers … for example T-Mobile customers were given the option to get the MLS package for free (similar to what they do for MLB)

How many of those 25 million subscribers are on a promo deal because they bought a new Apple product recently?

I had AppleTV for 3 months after getting g a new iPad. Watched the first 2 seasons of Ted Lasso.

Mrs Nacho got a new iPhone and 3 free months. We finished season 3 of Ted Lasso in early June. Haven’t looked at AppleTV since then and she canceled her sub yesterday.
    You're not wrong. I have zero faith in the uw admin to foresee this though.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,922

Tequilla said:

Apple's originals are actually now better than Amazon's originals.

And they both are better than Netflix' swill lately.

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The big ten is actually dumb af for sitting on 16. Adding Oregon/UW/unc/Duke/fsu/Miami would put it on par with the sec + make it the premiere basketball conference. Only a few schools really generate money from Bball, and the big ten would then have most of them (Duke, unc, md, msu, UM, Wisconsin, Illinois, purdue, ucla)
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,575
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    ntxduck said:

The big ten is actually dumb af for sitting on 16. Adding Oregon/UW/unc/Duke/fsu/Miami would put it on par with the sec + make it the premiere basketball conference. Only a few schools really generate money from Bball, and the big ten would then have most of them (Duke, unc, md, msu, UM, Wisconsin, Illinois, purdue, ucla)

ACC schools are talking about going to court to get out of their grant of rights deal. Seems like they're stuck for several years.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,548
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

They can't sit at 16. It's an arms race with the SEC and they only have 2 west coast schools.

Sure they want to expand east and get some schools that could either go SEC or B1G, but they can't leave the LA schools on an island.

No one here is mentioning that you have to appease your largest customer, which is FOX. FOX wants a West Coast pod.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Im not that concerned. Has a top 20 program been left out in the cold ever before? Why would it happen now? The most realistic scenario is PAC 12 folds then B12 sends an invite and UW and Oregon use that to negotiate with B10 for a half share for a few years and then full share after

How many teams in the B10 are more valuable than UW? 5 including the LA schools?
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,596
    Founders Club
    So besides all of the questions about exactly who are the millions of people that are going to stream a jacked up version of the Mountain West with 3 marketable teams when AZ leaves, is this an apple + "TV" channel streaming subscription add on or is this an Apple sponsored Pac 8 streaming app on the Apple TV box which is available by subscription or both?

the reason I ask is that "Apple TV" is literally the apple TV box that you buy that enables you to download various apps that you can subscribe to.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

Guarantee fuck nuts like this don't watch football. Lot of support on Twitter for Apple. Like there was for the innovative Pac 12 network. Uw stays they die. If they die they die

and they are all watching women's soccer
    Now is the time to leverage our @WeAreAFatLesboSchool brand
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

ntxduck said:

They can't sit at 16. It's an arms race with the SEC and they only have 2 west coast schools.

Sure they want to expand east and get some schools that could either go SEC or B1G, but they can't leave the LA schools on an island.

No one here is mentioning that you have to appease your largest customer, which is FOX. FOX wants a West Coast pod.
    Sure doesn’t seem like FOX cares about that. They could have UW & OR any time they want in the BIG10. And yet here we are…
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,596
    Founders Club
    edited August 2023
    Yep here we are… and this lays the groundwork for WA and Or to gladly accept a substantial discount to join the BIG while USC and dos Bruins come in at full value… all they had to do was wait for the announcement of the Pac 8 “deal”

Better yet, the sports networks dont have to own that they broke up the west coast conference.

On the other hand, WA and OR can both now say, we are leaving and we owe no exit fee.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,548
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2023
    doogville said:

haie said:

ntxduck said:

Sure doesn’t seem like FOX cares about that. They could have UW & OR any time they want in the BIG10. And yet here we are…
    There are factors at play beyond "fuck it lets just publicly skin 7 schools who used to be our business partner."

Additionally this whole shit show forces UW and Oregon to accept less than a full share which makes all the fucking truck stops happy like Minnesota and Illinois, so that they can easily get the votes they need.

It helps those schools wit travel too. You'd see more of a pro style road trip where ah Indiana plays USC and then flies up to Seattle, does online lecturing/tutoring and practices in a public park before kicking UW's ass. Rather than flying back and forth to wherever the fuck their campus is, Hawkins?