Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeBoer on UW recruiting and NIL

As we thought ...

Per Mike Vorel in the Times:

MV: In terms of NIL resources, education and collectives surrounding the program, do you feel like Washington has what it needs to win recruiting battles for the top players in the country?

KD: “We’ve come a long way over the last 12 months, and I don’t think we’re there yet. We are headed in the right direction, and the support continues to grow. It’s very promising, in my mind, where we’re going to be. A lot of it has to do with the sustainability that’s going to be there for us, because of the foundation within our university with NIL. I feel like everything’s been done the right way. There are smart people making good decisions. We have a lot of support. It’s just a matter of continuing to educate our donors and our fan base on how NIL works and how it’s being done at our university, how important it is to producing a high-end team every year. That education continues to lead to more and more support. Hopefully, a year from now we’re talking about another level that we’ve gone to.

“So it’s been a slower climb, but I feel really good about the direction we’re going. Could there have been a guy or two that we might have in our program that we don’t? Yeah, probably. But it is what it is and we’re still attracting the right guys to our program. I’ve been coaching long enough to know that the guys who want to have a transformation and not just a transaction, those are the ones that you win with long term.”

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,992
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

Not a bad job of toeing the line while revealing what he really thinks.

I heard that he thinks we are not good at NIL loud and clear.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,983
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I’ve been unimpressed with recruiting but after 11 wins and a shared off season natty deboner has earned the opportunity to get his own guys in here. I hope with another 11+ win season he’ll be able to beat some of the “big boys” for some more coveted recruits. Being able to bring in some all conference transfers will be huge and again hope we see this in the next cycle as the cupboards feel a little bare. They might have high potential guys who need a couple years to get there and that’s cool but who the fuck is going to play in ‘24? If this crews process includes development that’s ok BUT we? Have a two year black hole in recruiting which looks concerning on paper.

TL; dr. I wonder if deboner has his hands in driving nil opportunities? I wonder if stacking 10/11+ win seasons will drive more dollars? Where’s sonic when you need him.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,124
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Probably not related at all🤔
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,321
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Development vs. transaction might win a small fraction of battles against schools that are poor at the former. Particularly (like you saw a lot with Petersen) with kids that already come from money. The problem is there there are plenty of "schools" out there at which a kid can get both. The NFL draft is littered with players that drove shockingly nice cars while "going to school," and this predates NIL by a long ways.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Development vs. transaction might win a small fraction of battles against schools that are poor at the former. Particularly (like you saw a lot with Petersen) with kids that already come from money. The problem is there there are plenty of "schools" out there at which a kid can get both. The NFL draft is littered with players that drove shockingly nice cars while "going to school," and this predates NIL by a long ways.

I think the mentality of someone who values development over a few bucks is the big kicker. Especially in football where you have to be very committed to hurting yourself to make plays.

Something to be said for having guys that won't transfer out when the check is delayed
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,992
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Canadawg said:

I think the mentality of someone who values development over a few bucks is the big kicker. Especially in football where you have to be very committed to hurting yourself to make plays.

Something to be said for having guys that won't transfer out when the check is delayed
    Plenty of schools do both. It's up to the fan base, admin and big dick boosters to decide how much they care. It's not an either or. Bama has been paying their players well for years before this.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Reading this just makes me laugh when those tied into UW NIL were busy telling me how wrong I was when I was calling out how behind the curve UW’s NIL efforts have been

No doubt improvements have been made

No doubt still behind where UW needs to be to compete at the top levels
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,124
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

Reading this just makes me laugh when those tied into UW NIL were busy telling me how wrong I was when I was calling out how behind the curve UW’s NIL efforts have been

You’re not assuming he wrote a multi-paragraph TL,DR email on the topic?🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,983
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MakaDawg said:

Jen assured me it’s not her fault in any way and that her hands are tied.

Then she asked me for money. LOL

I bet her hands are tied…
  • Options
    Geevis_and_ButtheadGeevis_and_Butthead Member Posts: 987
    Step 1: Move to the B1G

Step 2: Tell athletic department to pay its own bills with the increased media check and therefore don't ask the boosters for shit

Step 3: Have CKD issue an ultimatum on the importance of a fully-funded NIL slush fund

Step 4: Let the boosters — big and small — decide how much they value football success at UW

Step 5: Profit!!
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Plenty of schools do both. It's up to the fan base, admin and big dick boosters to decide how much they care. It's not an either or. Bama has been paying their players well for years before this.
    Texas, USC, Texas A&M, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee

All top 10ish recruiting programs that haven't accomplished anything with it in many recruiting cycles. Obviously highschool talent means something but the even the best cars need good tires
  • Options
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

No ... it actually did

There's a former UW swimmer turned lawyer that is heavily involved in the NIL stuff ... regularly told me on Twitter that I was mistaken when I talked about how behind the curve UW NIL stuff was

That's ok though ... wouldn't expect you to do anything other than try to discredit anything I say at every turn
  • Options

Step 1: Move to the B1G

Step 2: Tell athletic department to pay its own bills with the increased media check and therefore don't ask the boosters for shit

Step 3: Have CKD issue an ultimatum on the importance of a fully-funded NIL slush fund

Step 4: Let the boosters — big and small — decide how much they value football success at UW

Step 5: Profit!!

The cleanest way for UW to become more competitive in the NIL world is exactly what you noted with Step 2 ... the Athletic Department needs to be self funding without begging for support from donations, etc.

Do that and the donations that they receive today can be "repurposed" to NIL
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,321
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

Texas, USC, Texas A&M, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee

All top 10ish recruiting programs that haven't accomplished anything with it in many recruiting cycles. Obviously highschool talent means something but the even the best cars need good tires
    Tennessee just finished 6th in both polls, beating Bama, Clempson, and LSU. One of their losses was a close(ish) one to the champs. I don't think they belong on your list. The rest of your list are very similar schools that don't support a counterargument in the way you think they do. I don't think anybody's arguing development vs. recruiting rankings, which is what I think you're getting caught up in. What's being said is that there are schools that do BOTH. You can't argue that Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. don't develop players. The NFL draft suggests that they develop players just fine. They also pay them and have for as long as I've been following the game.

So nobody is going to argue about schools that chase recruiting rankings and don't develop like most of the schools in your list. The question is how UW goes about not losing a QB or hometown future AA receiver to Ohio State or a California AA tight end to Georgia. Because you're not going to make a "we'll get you in the NFL" argument that's going to win a kid over when any of those schools are an option.
  • Options
    Geevis_and_ButtheadGeevis_and_Butthead Member Posts: 987
    DeBoer won't stick around for a continued "slow climb" or if he's repeatedly losing recruits to schools specifically due to UW's funding issues for NIL

Won't be good If UW hasn't made any move toward the Big Ten by the end of the season