Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Official HH Book Club List

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA

I am now seeing from my own shit above this is the same guym who wrote about the Epphh Bee Eye.

The author's view of the CIA is so dim that I feel like I need to find something else for balance.

Chort, reading the first review now on GoodReads:
    But any work of journalism, to be regarded as great, must be objective and here is the problem with this book: it is such a pervasivley negative account, it reports that the CIA is so off the charts bad, that a reader wonders if Weiner is just slamming them page after page. Surely in over 60 years of service the CIA has done something right.

I think some of the Tug denizens might cheer this grim assessment. But at the same tim, the CIA as depicted in the book can't rig a tinpot South American election.

There's some hilarious chincompetence depicted. I already can't remember what shithole country it was, but a female ambassador was doing things the CIA didn't care for. Agents bugged her office, taped the ambassador making lovey dovey sounds directed at a female name, and leaked it as the ambassador having a lesbian affair with her secretary. Nope, she was petting her dwag.

Anyhow, as far as technical writing gifts go, well-written book. And everything is attributed. I do wonder what was left out.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA

I am now seeing from my own shit above this is the same guym who wrote about the Epphh Bee Eye.

The author's view of the CIA is so dim that I feel like I need to find something else for balance.

Chort, reading the first review now on GoodReads:

But any work of journalism, to be regarded as great, must be objective and here is the problem with this book: it is such a pervasivley negative account, it reports that the CIA is so off the charts bad, that a reader wonders if Weiner is just slamming them page after page. Surely in over 60 years of service the CIA has done something right.

I think some of the Tug denizens might cheer this grim assessment. But at the same tim, the CIA as depicted in the book can't rig a tinpot South American election.

There's some hilarious chincompetence depicted. I already can't remember what shithole country it was, but a female ambassador was doing things the CIA didn't care for. Agents bugged her office, taped the ambassador making lovey dovey sounds directed at a female name, and leaked it as the ambassador having a lesbian affair with her secretary. Nope, she was petting her dwag.

Anyhow, as far as technical writing gifts go, well-written book. And everything is attributed. I do wonder what was left out.
    Chincompetent government agencies capable of pulling off the most intricate of conspiracies and keeping secrets for 60 plus years always makes me chortle.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Really been enjoying Pearlman's book about the Showtime era Lakers (HBO series "Winning Time" was based off this book).

I was a YUGE Lakers fan as a yoot in the mid - 80's and yet little Yella didn't know who the fuck Jack McKinney or how Dr. Buss got rich.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Finally bought Heat 2. Have heard nothing but great things about it.