Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW NIL

Comments

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,518
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited June 2023

Winning via the portal will be much easier to do in college hoops where 1-2 players can change the entire team. Recruiting will still matter in CFB. How many players has UW gotten through the portal thus far? 20? Penix is the only one who's made a difference from what I can tell. Portal should be used for building depth, particularly for rebuild jobs with new coaches.

Ja'Lynn Polk is the only other good portal guy they've gotten. Generally, if a player is in the portal they've been at a school for a year or two and haven't made an impact (see guys transferring out of UW). It's rare to see the guys like Jordan Addison who USC got who had won the Biletnkoff or a Christian Gonzalez who was a first round athlete who was just on a terrible school looking to upgrade.

Also, once these guys get into the portal, isn't UW just going to get outbid in NIL money again anyway?
    One thing that was very noticeable this year—the legit portal guys were all in there early and mostly gone by signing day in early February. You’ve got to be all over the portal from Dec-Jan…once February hits there are very slim pickings left. Teams that were relying on filling out their roster post-spring camp (coach prime) got stuck taking a bunch of dead wood
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,671
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Winning via the portal will be much easier to do in college hoops where 1-2 players can change the entire team. Recruiting will still matter in CFB. How many players has UW gotten through the portal thus far? 20? Penix is the only one who's made a difference from what I can tell. Portal should be used for building depth, particularly for rebuild jobs with new coaches.

Ja'Lynn Polk is the only other good portal guy they've gotten. Generally, if a player is in the portal they've been at a school for a year or two and haven't made an impact (see guys transferring out of UW). It's rare to see the guys like Jordan Addison who USC got who had won the Biletnkoff or a Christian Gonzalez who was a first round athlete who was just on a terrible school looking to upgrade.

Also, once these guys get into the portal, isn't UW just going to get outbid in NIL money again anyway?
    I'm just numb to the 8 months of shitting pants over not having "lit" weekends in June and then when it's all said and done they're top 25 classes with solid transfer pickups. Polk hadn't done anything at Texas Tech. Slow footed Virginia running back comes in and pumps Kwiatkowski with blue chips.

Jimmy Lake is the only real exception to that rule.

It's dooging, but even with the ASU running back I trust the coaches.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2023
    ntxduck said:

One thing that was very noticeable this year—the legit portal guys were all in there early and mostly gone by signing day in early February. You’ve got to be all over the portal from Dec-Jan…once February hits there are very slim pickings left. Teams that were relying on filling out their roster post-spring camp (coach prime) got stuck taking a bunch of dead wood
    Who is a legit portal guy? Proven talent that got in trouble at his first school?

It's all just random talent acquisition at this point. The fan knows even less than the clueless neck beard 247 guy now.

Cooper Petagna saying, "Yeah, coaches will take a kid they know sucks because others think they're good just to bump their class rating" shows how fucking retarded this all is.

Have an elite system and identify culture fit and guys who will play a role at a high level.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,289
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Penix, Towelpopper, and Polk. I like picking up Muhamedachbar, Miss St RB, and My Mersonarie GoForth... The portal is good at finding niche players that a arent all around world beaters but fill a role that is needed, for example a RB that can pass pro and catch out of backfield versus a homerun threat 5* that everyone wants. All I know is that DeBoner is finding discreet ways to skull fuck guys like Lanning and Sark, some of it is obvious to the common fan and some is not. I guarantee that oner is finding a way to stop Bo Nix's other ankle right now
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    dannarc said:

Penix, Towelpopper, and Polk. I like picking up Muhamedachbar, Miss St RB, and My Mersonarie GoForth... The portal is good at finding niche players that a arent all around world beaters but fill a role that is needed, for example a RB that can pass pro and catch out of backfield versus a homerun threat 5* that everyone wants. All I know is that DeBoner is finding discreet ways to skull fuck guys like Lanning and Sark, some of it is obvious to the common fan and some is not. I guarantee that oner is finding a way to stop Bo Nix's other ankle right now

I believe deboer is smart enough to know exactly what he wants and what will work. Turning towelpopper into a highly productive back is a good sign to me.

The portal is a big boon to guys that can evaluate well. Not just guys who stack bodies.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    dannarc said:

The other part is keeping a legit team culture and getting new guys integrated and coached up.

It’s going to be interesting to see the portal era dumpster fires around the country. I think deboer is good enough to actually run a strong program in this environment.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,518
    haie said:

ntxduck said:

Who is a legit portal guy? Proven talent that got in trouble at his first school?

It's all just random talent acquisition at this point. The fan knows even less than the clueless neck beard 247 guy now.

Cooper Petagna saying, "Yeah, coaches will take a kid they know sucks because others think they're good just to bump their class rating" shows how fucking retarded this all is.

Have an elite system and identify culture fit and guys who will play a role at a high level.
    Legit portal guys are a mix of super talented players from smaller schools that want to improve their nfl prospects, players looking to get out after a coaching change (or a qb change for wrs, where a good qb leaves And there’s no one left to get them the ball), or players who want to go win a title.

If you look at the top 10 transfers on 247, 8/10 fit the above criteria. The #10 guy who went from Bama to Miami fits yours. Devin Leary, I have no idea why he transferred. Was the starter at nc state last year until he got hurt. Kentucky is sec (in name only) but their offense is historically terrible, so it’s not really an upgrade for him. Maybe he saw Levis play like absolute dog shit and still be a projected first round pick and thought that was enviable.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2023
    ntxduck said:

haie said:

ntxduck said:

Legit portal guys are a mix of super talented players from smaller schools that want to improve their nfl prospects, players looking to get out after a coaching change (or a qb change for wrs, where a good qb leaves And there’s no one left to get them the ball), or players who want to go win a title.

If you look at the top 10 transfers on 247, 8/10 fit the above criteria. The #10 guy who went from Bama to Miami fits yours. Devin Leary, I have no idea why he transferred. Was the starter at nc state last year until he got hurt. Kentucky is sec (in name only) but their offense is historically terrible, so it’s not really an upgrade for him. Maybe he saw Levis play like absolute dog shit and still be a projected first round pick and thought that was enviable.
    It's all situational and behind the scenes.

I will say that UW is taking transfers that have a year of college practice/lifting under their belt. Underwhelming under a bad staff hasn't deterred them from wanting these players.

UW will lose out on kids that want to be paid up front, for sure. I'm not sure the football staff cares. University obviously doesn't.

But how badly is that going to burn them, if at all?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

It's really sad to see how far the UW Athletic Department has fallen and the shroud of secrecy that they are allowed to operate in

You can point to a number of different items that Jen has presided over in terms of just her hiring activity that is just flat out disastrous on an ADs resume

I haven't seen any evidence that Jen and UW wasn't completely caught with their pants down at the LA school leaving and having literally zero Plan B's outside of the Big 10

The NIL stuff ha largely been a joke the entire time ... but you have tons of people running interference and trying to say those being critical don't know what they are talking about (just look at the results)

And on top of it all, Jen backdoored her way to the AD seat by talking behind Pool Boy's back at how he was managing the budget ... now Jen presides over a world where there is literally zero chance for her to not run the ICA's funding into the ground barring a life vest from the Big10

Why would there be any evidence? It's publicly known that UW and Oregon had no clue what was going on.

As to NIL, we brought back every eligible starter from an 11-2 team, including Rome.

0% chance that happens with terrible NIL.

They want proven players and there's more Petersen shit to the program than there is Tedford. It just is what it is. But that approach has brought a season that was much more fun than any of Petersen's seasons.

Traditional High School recruiting is fucking dead and boring anyways. Who wants to be some CFB cuck fan that's creaming over a high school class one year and then cheering it on the next after they're all transferring and being replaced by the next class. Oregon and Texas A&M are paste eating dumb fuck schools.
    This is a response that not even Billy Madison would be proud of
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

It's really sad to see how far the UW Athletic Department has fallen and the shroud of secrecy that they are allowed to operate in

You can point to a number of different items that Jen has presided over in terms of just her hiring activity that is just flat out disastrous on an ADs resume

I haven't seen any evidence that Jen and UW wasn't completely caught with their pants down at the LA school leaving and having literally zero Plan B's outside of the Big 10

The NIL stuff ha largely been a joke the entire time ... but you have tons of people running interference and trying to say those being critical don't know what they are talking about (just look at the results)

And on top of it all, Jen backdoored her way to the AD seat by talking behind Pool Boy's back at how he was managing the budget ... now Jen presides over a world where there is literally zero chance for her to not run the ICA's funding into the ground barring a life vest from the Big10

Why would there be any evidence? It's publicly known that UW and Oregon had no clue what was going on.

As to NIL, we brought back every eligible starter from an 11-2 team, including Rome.

They want proven players and there's more Petersen shit to the program than there is Tedford. It just is what it is. But that approach has brought a season that was much more fun than any of Petersen's seasons.

Traditional High School recruiting is fucking dead and boring anyways. Who wants to be some CFB cuck fan that's creaming over a high school class one year and then cheering it on the next after they're all transferring and being replaced by the next class. Oregon and Texas A&M are paste eating dumb fuck schools.
    Sorry there isn't a bunch of tbs busts for you to jerk off to.

Could always pop in that Michigan TCU tape..
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,710
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Was Martin a portal or a traditional transfer? He worked out. I'm also pretty stoked they brought Bernard back.

Martin is a great example and one I forgot about. Was ho hum at A&M, sucked under Lake and friggin dogshit Cooper McDonald played above him. I'm excited about getting Bernard back as well but he's such an odd situation that I almost don't count him as a transfer.

My only worry is they'll only be able to sign said Cooper McDonalds out of high school and that will eventually catch up with you.

I'm maybe a bit salty on the portal because I dooged and thought JTT or Emeka or Conerly were going to portal back home like they should.
  • Options
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

This is a horrendous try hard post … which is saying something for you

I have long been on record of not watching HS tape until after a player has signed with UW on Signing Day

HS recruiting matters because it is still the most direct way to add talent to your roster and there are a lot of positive reasons to do so starting with getting them embedded within your culture, systems, and development. Moreover, while there is a speculative element to any NIL funds paid it’s at a fraction of what it is to go after any top line players in the portal (to which UW isn’t competitive at that level if NIL either)

When you talk about the NIL being effective for keeping players in school for this coming year, which players specifically are you talking about? Also, in the context of those players, pay close attention to how many of those players were recruited to UW out of HS versus those that came to UW via the portal. When you examine those %’s you’ll get a sense for why HS recruiting will always matter.

Finally, I know that you in particular (and there are others as well) love to rip on TCU because you think they are so inferior to UW. You may not know this, but TCU this academic year is the only program in the CFP era to make the CFP, the NCAA Tournament, and the College World Series all in the same year. I’d consider that a fairly impressive accomplishment.

IF UW isn’t able to get into the B10 and is stuck in a bastardized version of the P10, then you can take it to the bank that TCU will have a stronger athletic department in the sports that really move the needle than UW as long as UW is not in one of the B2 conferences
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

I have long been on record of not watching HS tape until after a player has signed with UW on Signing Day

HS recruiting matters because it is still the most direct way to add talent to your roster and there are a lot of positive reasons to do so starting with getting them embedded within your culture, systems, and development. Moreover, while there is a speculative element to any NIL funds paid it’s at a fraction of what it is to go after any top line players in the portal (to which UW isn’t competitive at that level if NIL either)

When you talk about the NIL being effective for keeping players in school for this coming year, which players specifically are you talking about? Also, in the context of those players, pay close attention to how many of those players were recruited to UW out of HS versus those that came to UW via the portal. When you examine those %’s you’ll get a sense for why HS recruiting will always matter.

Finally, I know that you in particular (and there are others as well) love to rip on TCU because you think they are so inferior to UW. You may not know this, but TCU this academic year is the only program in the CFP era to make the CFP, the NCAA Tournament, and the College World Series all in the same year. I’d consider that a fairly impressive accomplishment.

IF UW isn’t able to get into the B10 and is stuck in a bastardized version of the P10, then you can take it to the bank that TCU will have a stronger athletic department in the sports that really move the needle than UW as long as UW is not in one of the B2 conferences
    I do love to rip on TCU.

• Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wholeheartedly support not paying 17 year olds and saving the money for who turns out to be the real players a couple years later. Might make recruiting look mediocre but Ill take 11 wins over 4 stars

I do wish there was some stability to where players play though. A senior transfer for someone who wants to play makes sense but what even is the team you cheer for if everyone can flip month to month with little restrictions
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,006
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

What about Row Boat?

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,710
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2023
    Canadawg said:

I wholeheartedly support not paying 17 year olds and saving the money for who turns out to be the real players a couple years later. Might make recruiting look mediocre but Ill take 11 wins over 4 stars

I do wish there was some stability to where players play though. A senior transfer for someone who wants to play makes sense but what even is the team you cheer for if everyone can flip month to month with little restrictions

Just don't know how this works. The players they paid to return this year because they had proven themselves (Odunze, McMillan, Fautanu, Rosengarten, Trice, Tuli) were guys they would have almost assuredly now had to pay coming out of high school to get on the roster in the first place. Who is a player on the UW roster right now who is good who wasn't an NIL out of high school type guy. Westover? Good luck building a program on those guys.

Also the state of Washington is producing shit for actually good college football players so that's going to make things even more difficult.

I'm not encouraging being A&M or Oregon and loading up on low four star randos for 247 ratings and TBSers is idiotic. I don't think that approach works but they gotta figure something out.

Also, USC and Oregon will outbid for any decent transfer willing to move out west. I actually wonder if JTT and Conerly were open to possibly portalling until they found out all UW was offering was a Roth IRA and a rainbow flag.
  • Options
    Canadawg said:

I get the idea of paying those that deserve it

That said that isn’t the world we live in

11 wins is great and nobody is complaining about that … that said though those wins don’t come without talent behind it and finding talent is still paramount

Big picture, UW is not going to sustain winning via the portal. With the exception of Penix the transfers that have come to UW are effectively role players versus war daddy difference makers.

The Penix situation is largely a unique special case that I just don’t think you can assume is repeatable going forward

Nobody is asking UW to be a Top 10 recruiting engine … that’s likely not doable for a number of reasons. But right now, the trending is towards getting blown out and that simply can’t happen