Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Looking back, who had the more disappointing coaching career?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
Once upon a time, I loved both of these guys. But both had underwhelming careers. Yes, I realize that Mora is still going. But to this point, what are everyone's thoughts?

Looking back, who had the more disappointing coaching career? 60 votes

Rick Neuheisel
31%
RaceBannonchuckDooglespawzwhatshouldicareaboutAlexishuskyhooliganLebamDawgPitchfork51theknowledgeEdwin_BambinoBleachedAnusDawgdannarcDavidOreDawgFishpo31WoolleyDoogTheRoarOfTheCrowdSandra6 19 votes
Jim L. Mora
68%
DerekJohnsonMelloDawgCFetters_Nacho_LoverFire_Marshall_BillSwayeiDawgwhlinderPostGameOrangeSlicesvadawgMad_SondtdAtomicDawg79smoothdawgYouKnowItalumni94TheHBThe_Undertakerbiak1NeGgaPlEaSeSarkingham 41 votes

Comments

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,176
    Rick Neuheisel
    My expectations of Slick were much higher than Mora. Never understood the Mora fetish.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,986 Founders Club
    Jim L. Mora
    Rick's Highs dwarf anything Mora could attain.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,710 Swaye's Wigwam
    Rick Neuheisel
    Neu because I never cared about Mora
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,542 Founders Club
    Rick Neuheisel

Yes but since he actually coached here it's most disappointing that he couldn't make it last. Had a better opening than any coach before him. DeBoer now on the clock

Mora was a hypothetical built for 2007. Anything after that was meaningless
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member Posts: 1,480
    Jim L. Mora
    Jim went from NFL head coach to fuckin UCONN. At least Rick won something. WOOF!
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    Jim L. Mora
    Rick won something and just missed two additional trips to the rose bowl. Big wins too. It was fun.

Mora got a bunch of talent at ucla and was a slightly better version of sark in LA. No hardware.

Both were considered up and comers.
    Jim L. Mora

Yes but since he actually coached here it's most disappointing that he couldn't make it last. Had a better opening than any coach before him. DeBoer now on the clock

Mora was a hypothetical built for 2007. Anything after that was meaningless
    I will agree with you Race that Rick demonstrated far more real world potential than Mora who was more dealing in hypotheticals BS, and in this respect the let down of his "low" was harder to take. I mean I didn't go to the 2001 Rose Bowl because I was poverty stricken at the time and thought we'd be back next year. 2019 was long time coming.

I suppose my vote was more who was the most "disappointing" based on the overall suck factor.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,390
    Rick Neuheisel
    Rick had success, but couldn't (didn't) sustain it. It is hard to climb out of the hole, but once you do, it takes an incredible amount of work and discipline to sustain it. There is no more getting overlooked, sneaking up on teams. Rick won an RB with Lambo's guys, and then he coasted instead of grinding. JLM could have done the same here, but I don't know if he is dynamic enough to sustain it, long term.

When Chip was at the 0, they were measuring him for a statue, and he decided to shoot for the moon (and avoid THE HAMMER). My poont is that a lot of coaches can scheme, a lot that can recruit/evaluate, and very few that can do both and create a sustainable, winning culture...
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,933 Founders Club
    Jim L. Mora
    I went with Mora because there were warning signs about Rick from his time in Colorado.

Mora was a blank slate, had decent defenses in SF and I thought he would be our? version of Pete Carroll, middling NFL, rah-rah type coach who connects with and gets the best out of college players. His first 2 years looked like that would happen and then the wheels came off leading to his implosion.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,940 Swaye's Wigwam
    Rick Neuheisel
    I don't know. It seemed like Mora came closer to building his own success at UCLA than Neu did and that Neu flamed out faster there. I didn't pay close attention and it doesn't matter. Both disappointed in the end.
    Jim L. Mora
    chuck said:

I don't know. It seemed like Mora came closer to building his own success at UCLA than Neu did and that Neu flamed out faster there. I didn't pay close attention and it doesn't matter. Both disappointed in the end.

Mora had a respectable start at UCLA and I think if he had eaten his birthday cake, he would have likely been an upgrade over the Sark years at UW.
    Jim L. Mora

chuck said:

Mora had a respectable start at UCLA and I think if he had eaten his birthday cake, he would have likely been an upgrade over the Sark years at UW.
    He wouldn't have gone owen12 in 08

The vindication was Mora leading the other Huskies to a bowl last season. They had sucked for years.

That was the original premise. He'd come in after 07 and get rid of the Ty stench and bring excitement back

Yes we? wanted him again after 08 but Sark also brought some excitement back for a minute

Ty still being here in 08 is unforgivable
    I was told my some members of the half brain pundit class that Sark had achieved house money status after 2010.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,542 Founders Club
    Rick Neuheisel

chuck said:

He wouldn't have gone owen12 in 08

The vindication was Mora leading the other Huskies to a bowl last season. They had sucked for years.

That was the original premise. He'd come in after 07 and get rid of the Ty stench and bring excitement back

Yes we? wanted him again after 08 but Sark also brought some excitement back for a minute

Ty still being here in 08 is unforgivable
    I was told my some members of the half brain pundit class that Sark had achieved house money status after 2010.
    I'm not saying Sark has house money status after beating Nebraska but if he did it would look like this
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter
    Rick Neuheisel
    I went Neweasel as he disappointed - Slick Rick for a reason. Mora never coached here so hard to pick him as Idngaf about fUCLA.

Slick will never be rated worse than the comportment king - in mines opinion

And if it wasn't for Ty, would this hell hole exist?
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Jim L. Mora
    Slick Rick was at one point one of the top 5 highest paid coaches and got a rose bowl. He got some decent wins under his belt. That Miami W is probably one of the best in program history.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,933 Founders Club
    Jim L. Mora
    Baseman said:

Came to read about Kevin Ware from his necro bro, @trublue. But as necro bros say, it's better LATE than never!

Unfortunately after working 25+ years in law enforcement some shit is creepy and not funny in any context
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,607 Standard Supporter
    Jim L. Mora
    I thought Mora would be our Pete Carroll.

He was not. Not even our coach. Sark got it.

Rick did let me down without question after 2000 and the skill players he had. But Mora never came.