Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We always loose to Maryland and Rutgers

2»

Comments

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Canadawg said:

@Sandra6 We(!) did this one for you.

Lacrosse is for the poor/unskilled kids that couldn't cut it on the ice
    From the years I covered lacrosse on the Eastside, those kids by and large were not poor
    True. It's considered preppy in WA, dunno about east coast
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,652
    I bing* searched for 'hot Maryland coeds' and got jack shit.

*bing being the superior nude search engine over Duck Duck Go.

When you need some nudes, Bing it!
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Canadawg said:

From the years I covered lacrosse on the Eastside, those kids by and large were not poor
    in WA it's for kids that are scared to play football
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Canadawg said:

You mentioning east coast sparked a memory for me. Woodinville Lacrosse hired a Notre Dame grad to be their head coach. He came out to WA and the team under his watch was performing beneath expectations if I remember correctly. I was covering one match and the coach got pissed off and started cursing at the refs loudly and continuously. So in my story I described how the coach lost his cool and was unleashing a verbal tirade on the refs.

A couple weeks later I was covering them at Mercer Island. Before and during the match I noticed the coaching staff was avoiding interacting with me. Then after the match I went up to the head coach for the interview and he told me to go talk to somebody else. So I interviewed the equipment guy or something like that and went home and wrote my story.

After the season was over I heard that during a team meeting my name came up and the head coach was railing against my article and me for having wrote it. An assistant coach spoke up and said that all I was doing was describing what happened and in fact some of the parents had been embarrassed by the coach's behavior. Some of the kids reportedly spoke up saying similar things. And it turned into a big, contentious meeting that got really emotional. When the season ended, the coach resigned and headed back east to New Hampshire or something like that. My memories of him are of an arrogant and elite kind of guy. Anyway, I didn't find out that my article had sparked a ruckus until a few months after the season had ended, when an assistant coach described it to me.

CSB
    If I remember right, that kid wasn’t just from ND, he’s the son of the head corch Corrigan who’s been there like 35 years. Csb
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

They would fall into the unskilled category then. Athletic WRs that can't catch get put at DB sort of thing
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I go with US News & World Report. People take shots at it, but other rankings put too much emphasis one or two things and spits out results that are hard to justify unless all you care about is one of those things. For example, Arizona has a much larger research budget than Georgetown, and always will, but the student body at Georgetown is several cuts above the student body at Arizona, and always will be. So the World rankings, which rely on that measure very heavily were meaningless to me when choosing where my kids would go to school. Here is the US News ranking of the P12, national university category:

Stanford #3
    Cal #20
    UCLA #20
    USC #25
    UW #55
    Colorado #97
    Arizona #105
    Oregon #105
    Utah #105
    ASU #121
    OSU #151
    WSU #212

I'd say that's about right, and yes, including as it relates to Oregon. I begrudgingly think they under-rank ASU and WSU, but I also don't care.

The location of this discussion is everything about the point of view on Oregon, but if you actually go look at their CDS numbers, it's consistent with this at least insofar as the quality of students is concerned, which to me is the main thing in choosing where you go to undergrad. They do have their areas in which they excel and they are only starting to see the fruits of having their own independent board of trustees. They raised almost $700 million last year alone. You won't find this anywhere, but there has been some rumblings about re-associating OHSU with UofO again. That would help them in a number of ways. I would not sleep on them.

Btw,

Ohio State #49
    Miami #55

I wouldn't put Miami ahead of Washington because Washington is better at more things than Miami (as it is relative to Oregon). But Miami has been a harder school to get into for a long time. I don't know about today, but historically it has been.
    edited March 2023
    haie said:

The guy who made the rankings went to the #52 (probably 100+ accounting for bias) school.

Interesting thing about OU and Alabama: they have been spending lots of money trying to lure kids with money to beef up their academic standing. So, for example, if you're a NMF, no matter how much money your parents have, you can go to Bama on a full academic scholarship. As a result, both of those schools have lured kids in who have great stats (and of course there are still many who don't), but their rankings have never reflected it. Bama has way more NMFs than Washington, even though UW is a better school. There is a snobbery of sorts in academia that fits well with the blue blood/Mt. Rushmore obsession by some on this board. It holds that academic prestige is a fairly permanent pecking order and it takes forever to change. I think that's part of it, along with a snotty attitude about having to buy smart kids. The elite schools generally don't do that (buy smart kids) ... because they don't have to.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Canadawg said:

Just look at the schools that excel at Lacrosse.

Duke, ND, a bunch of Ivies. I'd say without reservation* that it's not a poor kid's sport.

*@Swaye's people excepted, obviously
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,687
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Canadawg said:

Duke, ND, a bunch of Ivies. I'd say without reservation* that it's not a poor kid's sport.

It's just not the same when you aren't using the head of your enemy to play
    edited March 2023
    dnc said:

Canadawg said:

without question, it is not.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

I go with US News & World Report. People take shots at it, but other rankings put too much emphasis one or two things and spits out results that are hard to justify unless all you care about is one of those things. For example, Arizona has a much larger research budget than Georgetown, and always will, but the student body at Georgetown is several cuts above the student body at Arizona, and always will be. So the World rankings, which rely on that measure very heavily were meaningless to me when choosing where my kids would go to school. Here is the US News ranking of the P12, national university category:

Stanford #3
    Cal #20
    UCLA #20
    USC #25
    UW #55
    Colorado #97
    Arizona #105
    Oregon #105
    Utah #105
    ASU #121
    OSU #151
    WSU #212

I'd say that's about right, and yes, including as it relates to Oregon. I begrudgingly think they under-rank ASU and WSU, but I also don't care.

The location of this discussion is everything about the point of view on Oregon, but if you actually go look at their CDS numbers, it's consistent with this at least insofar as the quality of students is concerned, which to me is the main thing in choosing where you go to undergrad. They do have their areas in which they excel and they are only starting to see the fruits of having their own independent board of trustees. They raised almost $700 million last year alone. You won't find this anywhere, but there has been some rumblings about re-associating OHSU with UofO again. That would help them in a number of ways. I would not sleep on them.

Btw,

Ohio State #49
    Miami #55

I wouldn't put Miami ahead of Washington because Washington is better at more things than Miami (as it is relative to Oregon). But Miami has been a harder school to get into for a long time. I don't know about today, but historically it has been.

aa, cal too high.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

I always associated LaCrosse with preppy white kids in suburban East Coast cities
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,687
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,349
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The unequal revenue share being discussed, not by WV retards, is Oregon and Washington getting more money with Utah also having their hand out.

New flash: UW and UO don't want anyone besides themselves to get higher revenue share.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Canadawg said:

I always associated LaCrosse with preppy white kids in suburban East Coast cities
    That’s because that is factual
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    This the dumbest thing thing I’ve ever heard which makes it the most likely thing Jen will agree to and the Pac12 will do.