Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gordon Ramsay: how to cook the perfect steak.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,836
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

chuck said:

chuck said:

I did a really fat NY just like this last night. I would've normally reverse seared it but I just let it warm on the counter for a good long while and managed med-rare with a nice crust. Fuckin good.

chuck said:

I just learned that prepping garlic doesn't need to take me so long, at least not for a steak.

Garlic press !
    You still have to peel it for that. I don't know if I'll ever peel another clove now that I've seen the light.
    I used to buy a lot of minced (Chinese slave peeled) garlic cause I was lazy AF, but it just tastes like shit compared to fresh.

I don't mind peeling as much as chopping. The garlic press still saves a lot of time.

I've had success reverse searing on the grill for a bit - let it rest for a bit - and then get the final high temp sear in cast iron.

Get the best of both worlds this way.
    For me it's the peeling that's annoying. That shit gets everywhere and I get yelled at regularly for not cleaning all of it up. I also used to buy big jars of Christopher Ranch minced garlic. It definitely tastes and smells like shit compared to fresh. I'd rather use granulated.

I did it his way with about half a bulb, maybe 8sverage size cloves. Crushed them a little with my hand. The butter really absorbed the flavor.
    I've tried it his way three times now and I'm getting it down to a science. I don't know if this makes me a retard, but I've always cooked with either butter or olive oil, but not both. I bought the air fryer because I was tired of all the smoke from the butter burning on the cast iron. But like Gordon says, start with the olive oil so it doesn't burn then add your crushed garlic and butter after you've gotten your sear.

I'm getting the searing down just right, and I'll be damned if it doesn't taste as good as almost any restaurant I've been to, with a couple of notable exceptions.

I really appreciate this video.
    Condo HOA's a the greatest tyranny in the land.
    Disagree. Condo HOAs are bad but not nearly as tyrannical as a neighborhood HOA
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,863
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

I did a really fat NY just like this last night. I would've normally reverse seared it but I just let it warm on the counter for a good long while and managed med-rare with a nice crust. Fuckin good.

chuck said:

I just learned that prepping garlic doesn't need to take me so long, at least not for a steak.

Garlic press !
    You still have to peel it for that. I don't know if I'll ever peel another clove now that I've seen the light.
    I used to buy a lot of minced (Chinese slave peeled) garlic cause I was lazy AF, but it just tastes like shit compared to fresh.

I don't mind peeling as much as chopping. The garlic press still saves a lot of time.

I've had success reverse searing on the grill for a bit - let it rest for a bit - and then get the final high temp sear in cast iron.

For me it's the peeling that's annoying. That shit gets everywhere and I get yelled at regularly for not cleaning all of it up. I also used to buy big jars of Christopher Ranch minced garlic. It definitely tastes and smells like shit compared to fresh. I'd rather use granulated.

I did it his way with about half a bulb, maybe 8sverage size cloves. Crushed them a little with my hand. The butter really absorbed the flavor.
    I've tried it his way three times now and I'm getting it down to a science. I don't know if this makes me a retard, but I've always cooked with either butter or olive oil, but not both. I bought the air fryer because I was tired of all the smoke from the butter burning on the cast iron. But like Gordon says, start with the olive oil so it doesn't burn then add your crushed garlic and butter after you've gotten your sear.

I'm getting the searing down just right, and I'll be damned if it doesn't taste as good as almost any restaurant I've been to, with a couple of notable exceptions.

You can still have a BBQ in most neighborhood HOAs.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Garlic press !

Disagree. Hondo HOA's are the worst.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,780
    edited February 2023
    Early in my career, had to prepare the annual financials and audit an HOA. Pre-Sarbanes Oxley when auditors could do both.

Fuck those guys. What a bunch of pieces of shit. They whined about, like, $200 in professional fees.

Miserable people those who are on the board of HOAs.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,836
    Founders Club

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Garlic press !

I can understand a condo HOA forbidding BBQs due to safety and insurance. Subdivision HOAs are worse.

A friend is on his subdivision HOA and their rules forbid above ground pools. Ok, cool. Beginning of COVID he gets a call or email from someone complaining about an above ground pool. He walked over to look at it and it was a kiddie pool.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Garlic press !

I can understand a condo HOA forbidding BBQs due to safety and insurance. Subdivision HOAs are worse.

A friend is on his subdivision HOA and their rules forbid above ground pools. Ok, cool. Beginning of COVID he gets a call or email from someone complaining about an above ground pool. He walked over to look at it and it was a kiddie pool.

I'm reporting my neighbor for having 5 dead arborvitae running along the side of their lot that's adjacent to the road. MF'er need to cut those things down.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,863
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2023

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Garlic press !

This is an instance where we can both be right.

My hyperbole is more of an observation that condo living is inherently more restrictive than single family do to its communal nature.

That said every condo I’ve ever lived in has allowed BBQs. I made sure I had a current fire extinguisher on hand.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    Founders Club

Early in my career, had to prepare the annual financials and audit an HOA. Pre-Sarbanes Oxley when auditors could do both.

Fuck those guys. What a bunch of pieces of shit. They whined about, like, $200 in professional fees.

Sarbanes-Oxley sounds like a walk-on UCLA QB that torched the Husky defense 350 yards and 4 TDs sometime in the past 20 years
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Sarbanes-Oxley sounds like a walk-on UCLA QB that torched the Husky defense 350 yards and 4 TDs sometime in the past 20 years
    I liked to call him Sarb The Ox. That's what I liked to call him.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,170
    Swaye's Wigwam

I liked to call him Sarb The Ox. That's what I liked to call him.
    He gored the DAWGS