Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sean McGrew

Comments

• Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,008
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

whlinder said:

I mean, he ran really hard as a DaWg.

Usually the hardest running RBs are the dumbest.

@CoreyDillon true?
    Interesting, it was often said that O linemen were often some of the smartest dudes on the team.
    Pretty sure this is a big reason Stanford had such a great OL for so many years. Building on your sample size... my cousin played OL at PLU, and so did his sister's husband -- they are both smarter than your average Lutherans.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited February 2023

I tutored athletes in the UW AD for a few months. There was one football player who legit could not read. Or at like, 4th grade level. Completely lost, no comprehension basically.

Neuheisel era.

In case anybody wonders if this is exaggeration, it is not. I absolutely 100% believe this.

What part of its tough for the island boys to learn a new language does this board not understand?

I remember when I was in a freshmen biology lab (not at uw) when some Mortimer looking dude starting yelling and struggling with some poly offensive linemen over a worksheet that was completed and then ripped out of his hand and then he was shoved over a chair to the ground while said offensive linemen proceeded to put his name on the paper and sprint out of the class and put the assignment in the drop box before he left. Most of the class had headphones on as a requirement except for my roommates and I (we divided conquered making sure to cheat the right way). The lab assistants weren’t dumb enough to confront him or save Mortimer from the assault from a 6’7” 320lbs man who knew his eligibility was on the line. They acted all confused like they had no clue what happened and helped him get his paper filled out again and life went on. Its really about the survival skills you learn in college. I know i know csb.

Also I have been told by multiple sources a certain former cane running back is illiterate. Illiteracy is real.
    Nobody ever said it was peculiar to Washington. College football is full of it. I will say this: you will not find the illiterate or barely literate variety at Stanford, the Academies, Duke, (probably) Northwestern or Vandy. You just won't. They won't be brain surgeons, or even smart, but you gotta have a 3.3 GPA to be recruited to Furd for football. Reading ability at the sixth grade level is required.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

whlinder said:

@CoreyDillon true?
    Generally running backs are among the worst. Interesting, it was often said that O linemen were often some of the smartest dudes on the team. My limited samples size is consistent with that take.

Running back is all instinct. Some technique in pass blocking, but by an large can be the dumbest guy on the field because he doens't really have to think or cooperate with anyone most of the time.
    Given the hundreds of UW interviews I've done, I'm in a good position to render judgment. Offensive linemen, kickers and QBs were the smartest, or at least the most articulate, generally speaking. Other positions like wide receiver and linebacker can have really, really smart or really, really dumb people.

I interviewed the following QBs:

Warren Moon
    Tom Flick
    Steve Pelluer
    Hugh Millen
    Chris Chandler
    Billy Joe Hobert
    Mark Brunnell
    Brock Huard
    Marques Tuiasosopo
    Casey Paus
    Jake Locker
    Aaron Rodgers
    Jaden Sheffey

Virtually everyone on that list was very intelligent.

• Options

whlinder said:

@CoreyDillon true?
    Generally running backs are among the worst. Interesting, it was often said that O linemen were often some of the smartest dudes on the team. My limited samples size is consistent with that take.

Running back is all instinct. Some technique in pass blocking, but by an large can be the dumbest guy on the field because he doens't really have to think or cooperate with anyone most of the time.
    Given the hundreds of UW interviews I've done, I'm in a good position to render judgment. Offensive linemen, kickers and QBs were the smartest, or at least the most articulate, generally speaking. Other positions like wide receiver and linebacker can have really, really smart or really, really dumb people.

I interviewed the following QBs:

Warren Moon
    Tom Flick
    Steve Pelluer
    Hugh Millen
    Chris Chandler
    Billy Joe Hobert
    Mark Brunnell
    Brock Huard
    Marques Tuiasosopo
    Casey Paus
    Jake Locker
    Aaron Rodgers
    Jaden Sheffey

Virtually everyone on that list was very intelligent.

I was looking for one guy who I spent some time around (not with to be clear) who was a major horse's ass. He's not on your list. He's probably not as dumb as the players I think about when this topic comes up. But he's not smart either.

Of the list, I've been acquainted with one and have a close mutual connection with the other. I'd probably not use the word 'very', and neither would they if they were being honest. But they are clearly not dumb.
  • Options

I tutored athletes in the UW AD for a few months. There was one football player who legit could not read. Or at like, 4th grade level. Completely lost, no comprehension basically.

Neuheisel era.

In case anybody wonders if this is exaggeration, it is not. I absolutely 100% believe this.

What part of its tough for the island boys to learn a new language does this board not understand?

I remember when I was in a freshmen biology lab (not at uw) when some Mortimer looking dude starting yelling and struggling with some poly offensive linemen over a worksheet that was completed and then ripped out of his hand and then he was shoved over a chair to the ground while said offensive linemen proceeded to put his name on the paper and sprint out of the class and put the assignment in the drop box before he left. Most of the class had headphones on as a requirement except for my roommates and I (we divided conquered making sure to cheat the right way). The lab assistants weren’t dumb enough to confront him or save Mortimer from the assault from a 6’7” 320lbs man who knew his eligibility was on the line. They acted all confused like they had no clue what happened and helped him get his paper filled out again and life went on. Its really about the survival skills you learn in college. I know i know csb.

Also I have been told by multiple sources a certain former cane running back is illiterate. Illiteracy is real.
    Nobody ever said it was peculiar to Washington. College football is full of it. I will say this: you will not find the illiterate or barely literate variety at Stanford, the Academies, Duke, (probably) Northwestern or Vandy. You just won't. They won't be brain surgeons, or even smart, but you gotta have a 3.3 GPA to be recruited to Furd for football. Reading ability at the sixth grade level is required.
    I should send you a pic of my college transcript @creepycoug . Sad. Really sad.

I could have used a philosopher king tutor.
    I'm sure that had more to do with behavior, maturity and choices. The dudes I think about when talking about this basically need to go back to primary school and start over. And I'm serious when I say that. Literally need to start over somewhere in grade school, and probably not 6th grade. They have absolutely no academic skill whatsoever.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Neuheisel era.

I'm sure that had more to do with behavior, maturity and choices. The dudes I think about when talking about this basically need to go back to primary school and start over. And I'm serious when I say that. Literally need to start over somewhere in grade school, and probably not 6th grade. They have absolutely no academic skill whatsoever.
    The golden boy in Olympia when I was in grade school was destined for greatness by junior high. Sure he burned down the stadium at Steven's Field but it was an accident

By high school he was so fucked up they kicked him off.

Saw him a decade later. He was in and out of mental wards. Bi polar and that stuff was the issue. Still played a mean game of touch football at the Sunday game at Steven's Field where the stadium used to be

Cool story

The moral is people are blinded by talent
    Growing up we had a similar kid, Mark TeVelde. A year older than me. Really handsome kid, charismatic, super talented, played quarterback and safety on our Bengals teams for several years. He was the one guy you'd point to as destined for stardom.

Was diagnosed as schizophrenic in his teens. There were rumors at age 20 that he was homeless and sleeping in a park. Ended up killing himself at age 26.
  • Options

Neuheisel era.

It's disturbing how much class one can skip and still graduate in 4 years @creepycoug .

Who needs class in college. Just good looks, a personality and a concrete peeper.
    Much easier to do at a state flagship and Kane Hall. Small private LACs, where the professor remembers the hat you wore the week b4, impossible to hide. Wanna skip class? Go to a big school.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    ChatGPT could change the game for the brainless. Who needs nerds like us to help them out in anthropology class now?
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

This made me think of the infamous Billy Don Jackson, who was a stud three-year starter for UCLA, was arrested, and was described during the trial as functionally illiterate...as a junior in college. It caused a complete re-working of academic admissions at the UC's...my cousin was a teacher of his in HS, and I saw him play in the Texas HS championship game at Texas Stadium, while there for a family funeral...csb

So you went to family funeral in Texas stadium while the state championship game was happening? That’s some dedication
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

From the /r/huskies sub

Budda Baker was right
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,252
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

This made me think of the infamous Billy Don Jackson, who was a stud three-year starter for UCLA, was arrested, and was described during the trial as functionally illiterate...as a junior in college. It caused a complete re-working of academic admissions at the UC's...my cousin was a teacher of his in HS, and I saw him play in the Texas HS championship game at Texas Stadium, while there for a family funeral...csb

So you went to family funeral in Texas stadium while the state championship game was happening? That’s some dedication
    Not considered technically gifted writing…my grandfather is not “the Jimmy Hoffa of Texas”, for the record…
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Thanks Fishpo!