Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Text exchange the other day

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,969 Founders Club
edited January 2023 in Hardcore Husky Board
I was having a text exchange with Joey and Woolley the other day.

I was saying Richard Newton reminds me of 2006 fullback James Sims who had one monster game against one of the Arizona schools but otherwise did little. I feel like Newton has one monster game in him before he departs. 15 carries, 202 yards and 3 tds. Something like that.

Woolley and I were saying imagine Shelton Sampson being coached by a DeBoer team, or if he could have been the main back on the 2000 Rose Bowl team.

Meanwhile, Joey was interjecting obscure wrestling references from 1960s Whatcom County. Kinda awkward frankly.

Comments

• JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,630 Founders Club
    Saw the thread title and said “Oh no…”

Hung out with this guy once or twice. Good dude.

https://www.cascadiadaily.com/news/2022/dec/18/graham-morin-memorial-tournament-returns-to-squalicum/
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,853 Standard Supporter

Saw the thread title and said “Oh no…”

Hung out with this guy once or twice. Good dude.

https://www.cascadiadaily.com/news/2022/dec/18/graham-morin-memorial-tournament-returns-to-squalicum/

(There are) multiple dick pics?

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,087

I was saying Richard Newton reminds me of 2006 fullback James Sims who had one monster game against one of the Arizona schools but otherwise did little. I feel like Newton has one monster game in him before he departs. 15 carries, 202 yards and 3 tds. Something like that.

Woolley and I were saying imagine Shelton Sampson being coached by a DeBoer team, or if he could have been the main back on the 2000 Rose Bowl team.

Meanwhile, Joey was interjecting obscure wrestling references from 1960s Whatcom County. Kinda awkward frankly.

Joey of the Joey Kitchen Joeys?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,969 Founders Club

If @JoeEDangerously owned a chain of bar restaurants I'm sure they'd be called "Joey Dangerously's"
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,661
    edited January 2023

Sims' huge game was at Arizona for sure. I think it was in the 2005 game when Stanback hit Chambers on the halftime Hail Mary that went like 70+ yards. I don't remember him playing FB but you're probably right on that. He was definitely the primary TB that day. Didn't he spend most of his career on defense?
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,495 Founders Club

If @JoeEDangerously owned a chain of bar restaurants I'm sure they'd be called "Joey Dangerously's"

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,969 Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Sims wasn't a fullback, he was a twitchy TB with size who I think got a cup of coffee with NY Giants.

Another squandered athlete

Au contraire @Doogles

https://gohuskies.com/sports/2013/4/18/208223681.aspx
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,563 Founders Club

Doogles said:

Sims wasn't a fullback, he was a twitchy TB with size who I think got a cup of coffee with NY Giants.

Au contraire @Doogles

Looks like we're both right. From one of the articles under your link: https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Huskies-Notebook-Sims-forcing-his-way-into-1152556.php

James Sims isn't sure if he wants to be out front or behind the scenes, and that fits because he may be Washington's secret weapon this year playing a mutant position.

Sims, an Academic All-American, cinema studies major and sketch comedy enthusiast, is not really a fullback, but he will play one for the Huskies on TV. Fullbacks are not 209 pounds. Fullbacks don't run 4.4 40-yard dashes. Fullbacks don't graduate high school with 4.0 GPAs and serve as student body presidents...But on a team with a 280-pound tailback -- bruising freshman Johnie Kirton -- perhaps Sims makes sense.

Basically they switched him from safety because he was an athletic freak with zero instincts and for some mid-2000s UW fuckery decided backup fullback. I don't think he actually played much of any in that role and was a tailback by the time he received real carries.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,630 Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Au contraire @Doogles

Looks like we're both right. From one of the articles under your link: https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Huskies-Notebook-Sims-forcing-his-way-into-1152556.php

James Sims isn't sure if he wants to be out front or behind the scenes, and that fits because he may be Washington's secret weapon this year playing a mutant position.

Sims, an Academic All-American, cinema studies major and sketch comedy enthusiast, is not really a fullback, but he will play one for the Huskies on TV. Fullbacks are not 209 pounds. Fullbacks don't run 4.4 40-yard dashes. Fullbacks don't graduate high school with 4.0 GPAs and serve as student body presidents...But on a team with a 280-pound tailback -- bruising freshman Johnie Kirton -- perhaps Sims makes sense.

Basically they switched him from safety because he was an athletic freak with zero instincts and for some mid-2000s UW fuckery decided backup fullback. I don't think he actually played much of any in that role and was a tailback by the time he received real carries.
    Maybe we’ll all do a pod on squandered talents and players who got too much time that they should have squandered
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,413 Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Au contraire @Doogles

I liked Sims a lot. He probably could have been at least a better college running back with actual coaching.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited January 2023
    Isn’t this supposed to stay in the chat?
  • HHBruhHHBruh Member Posts: 504
    Always read this as Joe ED anger obviously.

Angry Joe’s more likely. Doug Baldwin stole my gimmick before I could copyright it I guess

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,661

Pretty sure Sims was the 12th man vs Michigan in 2002

Sounds right
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,974 Swaye's Wigwam

Pretty sure Sims was the 12th man vs Michigan in 2002

I always thought that was Sam Cunningham.

It was one of the two. I'm right until I'm wrong though.