Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Roster Numbers - January 2023

Updated view of the roster. Currently sitting at 92 scholarship players so will need at least 7 couch sales between now and fall camp. We have no K or P on scholarship and I wouldn't be surprised if we add another QB at some point so we may need up to 10 guys to kick rocks.

My best guesses at upcoming attrition
-Dumas
-Sunday
-Adams
-Wyrsch
-Peacock
-Murao
-Curne
-Tinae

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,695
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I could see Taj Davis and/or Jabez Tinae leaving.

I also think Huard will go. Morris has already gotten the chance to play and was not a "pedigreed" 5-star coming in. Doubt he thinks that he can develop and have any chance playing professionally after college. Huard probably still holds out that hope and would be smart to look elsewhere for playing time.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,174
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I was really surprised to hear Newton say he’s coming back.

These 4 seem like locks to leave:
    Sunday
    Murao
    Curne
    Tinae

I hesitate to put prior transfers like Dumas and Nixon on lists as potential transfers although I don’t think Dumas played at all and Nixon barely played. I feel like Adams had as much of not more PT than Nixon.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,501
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Updated view of the roster. Currently sitting at 92 scholarship players so will need at least 7 couch sales between now and fall camp. We have no K or P on scholarship and I wouldn't be surprised if we add another QB at some point so we may need up to 10 guys to kick rocks.

I think DeBoer will keep special teams players off scholarship, with Gross or Schrock at K and McCallister at P

We may not have 10 players portal since every year we do have players medically retire. I don't want to speculate on that, but that will be a source of freeing up scholarships
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,956
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Is the 85 a hard limit with Covid and giving seniors an extra year? Thought there was some stipulation that the extra year for those folks didn’t count towards the 85.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,794
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Shocking he didnt have a path to playing time even with the departures
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,704
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Why not throw out some names?

It's not easy to pick which ones for me, but I expect 3 running backs and two more receivers to leave. One of the receivers will be someone that got reps and targets this season (Taj Davis or Giles Jackson please don't be Polk).

So there are 5.

Two more DBs will portal but I can't guess which since they're all so shitty. So that's 7.

I think an interior DL will portal. I could see Bandes being the guy. That's 8.

Murao seems like a no brainier on the OL. I don't think Curne leaving is imminent but I'd guess one more OL. That's 10.

I think they'll portal 12+ as they aren't done bringing guys in. t's hard to pick names outside of a few obvious guys. We know the RB list is going to shrink by a lot, that there is too much WR talent to keep that whole room together, and that more attrition is needed in the defensive backfield. It's the DBs that I have the most trouble with. They had to play every healthy body so it's hard for me to tell who they really wanted to have out there.

Yeah I wasn't buying off that he was going to leave even though he keeps getting mentioned. Would have thought he'd have an inside track at one guard spot.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Yeah, you rarely see an olineman with that much game experience suddenly get benched with 0 chance at playing time.

Given what we saw on the lines this past year, I'm not worried at all. Rosengarten came in and was a fucking mauler on day 1.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

It's not easy to pick which ones for me, but I expect 3 running backs and two more receivers to leave. One of the receivers will be someone that got reps and targets this season (Taj Davis or Giles Jackson please don't be Polk).

So there are 5.

Two more DBs will portal but I can't guess which since they're all so shitty. So that's 7.

Murao seems like a no brainier on the OL. I don't think Curne leaving is imminent but I'd guess one more OL. That's 10.

I think they'll portal 12+ as they aren't done bringing guys in. t's hard to pick names outside of a few obvious guys. We know the RB list is going to shrink by a lot, that there is too much WR talent to keep that whole room together, and that more attrition is needed in the defensive backfield. It's the DBs that I have the most trouble with. They had to play every healthy body so it's hard for me to tell who they really wanted to have out there.

Yeah I wasn't buying off that he was going to leave even though he keeps getting mentioned. Would have thought he'd have an inside track at one guard spot.
    Adding a few more to my list. This should get the roster down to 85.

1 Curne
    2 Dumas
    3 Sunday
    4 Adams
    5 Wyrsch
    6 Peacock
    7 Murao
    8 Tinae
    9 Giles Jackson
    10 K Fab
    11 Davon Banks or Elijah Jackson

• Options

Our couch sellers so far:

DL Kuao Peihopa (suspended/likely dismissed)

DB Cameron Williams (buried on depth chart)

DB Zakhari Spears (buried on depth chart)

WR Junior Alexander (buried on depth chart)

TE/FB Caden Jumper (buried on depth chart)

OG Victor Curne (lost starting job)

Peihopa and perhaps Curne are the only ones I'd rather not have seen leave

Yeah, thus far all the losses have been what we'd call "Unregrettable Attrition" in the corporate world. Curne was solid but he had no path to starting and already earned his degree. Peihopa is a loss but I don't think him leaving was voluntary.
  • Options
    Founders Club

chuck said:

So there are 5.

Adding a few more to my list. This should get the roster down to 85.

1 Curne
    2 Dumas - has brought nothing to the table
    3 Sunday - has brought nothing to the table
    4 Adams- - extremely limited role and would be our 5th best back at best
    5 Wyrsch who?
    6 Peacock - who?
    7 Murao - - has brought nothing to the table, but has 3 years remaining and was behind studs
    8 Tinae - - has brought nothing to the table, but has 3 or 4 years remaining
    9 Giles Jackson - probably the biggest disappointment. was supposed to be electric and just isn't, even on special teams
    10 K Fab - - I can remember 4 plays of his over 2 years, and none of them were good.
    11 Davon Banks or Elijah Jackson - Banks improved and then got injured, I can't recall Jackson ever doing anything

• Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,251
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Curne was below average and I’d rather move on with younger players
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,251
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

McCutcheon?
  • Options

McCutcheon?
    I've seen some rumors that the "Husky" spot might evolve into a more traditional nickel spot similar to the PK/JL defenses so in that scenario McCutcheon would be a good fit in that role. I wouldn't be surprised if he left too though.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,174
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Curne was brutal. I noticed him being the reason many plays got blown up last year and am thrilled he's leaving. Worst starting OL in a long time