Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2022 FIFA World Cup Predictions and Thread

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Argentina

What do you say about someone who says baseball is the worst, most boring sport ever invented? Soccer people are the most sensitive sports fans on the planet.

That they're close, but golf exists.

Two major issues with the US.

1. Inability to control tempo in midfield when holding a lead.
    2. Poor decision-making on counter attacks, which left goals on the table. Need to recognize runs and play the pass early before defenders can react.

The first half was probably the best I’ve ever seen them play at a WC. Should have been up 2-3 at halftime.

Also, Ronaldo is a diving cunt snd Gareth Southgate is driving his Ferrari like a Ford.

The US' glaring problem is that they don't have a pure goal scorer on the roster. I'm starting to wonder if I'm the curse, as every team I follow in every sport plays a brand of that sport that makes you hate watching even when they win. This is the international soccer version of watching the 2019 Huskies. They're trying to set the record for how far a team can go in the tournament on the fewest number of goals scored. The chances have been there, they're just not being putting them in.

I hate to give the talking heads credit, but they're right about the midfield. I wasn't sold on it at all during the buildup, but it's elite. The problem is that you can't just put 11 elite midfielders on the field at the same time.

The Iran game was a frustrating win both strategically and in terms of the play from some of the stars. Sure, Pulisic got the goal, but that was the easiest part of a play that included a beautiful pass to Dest, who made an amazing run and even better inch-perfect cross off his head. Otherwise, Pulisic drew defenders but not much else. He suffered from the same heavy touch that Weah and Robinson suddenly developed out of nowhere. He also keeps putting his corner kicks right to the first defender. McKinney, Dest, Ream, Turner, and Adams had great games; I have very low expectations for Sargent, so I was pleasantly surprised with his holdup play, although he's the last person I expect to put the ball in the net; Musah, Carter Vickers were hit and miss; everyone else played poorly by their standards.

And then there's Berhalter's Pete-Carroll-prevent-defense-FS strategy of subbing literally all of your offense off the field with over 20 minutes left to play and up by only one. I was 100% sure that Iran would equalize--one of their flops in the box was eventually going to convince the wef--and there would be nobody left on the field capable of scoring and no subs left to make. I absolutely hate packing it in to protect a single goal lead, as I've seen it blow up in a team's face a million times. With nearly every threatening player on the bench, the US suddenly couldn't maintain possession at all and were left absorbing wave after wave of attacks. Berhalter got away with playing with fire there, and I was yelling at a screen.

I found myself googling "what's the fewest number of goals scored by a team that advanced past the group stage" after the game. Mathematically, that number could be zero, but so far I haven't read of a team that's pulled that off. TrumpSad.gif.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Other non-Euro team
    Deutschland Aus!
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    France
    Spain happy to force Germany out while not being drawn into the quarterfinals against Brazil
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Argentina
    There was a hot minute there where both Spain and Germany were going to be eliminated, then Germany took the lead again. That would have been awesome.
  • hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    France

There was a hot minute there where both Spain and Germany were going to be eliminated, then Germany took the lead again. That would have been awesome.

Japan beat both of them.
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Brazil
    I hope all the American fans who thought we could compete are enjoying watching a REAL football team kick our ass with superior finishing ability.

Next time will be different LOL
  • hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    France

I hope all the American fans who thought we could compete are enjoying watching a REAL football team kick our ass with superior finishing ability.

Need a new corch
    edited December 2022
    France
    hardhat said:

Need a new corch
    Need bigger and stronger forwards, too. But a new coach is #1 on the list of things that need to change
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    Other non-Euro team
    2026 will be different!!!!!1!!!!1!!!!

As host we don’t even have to qualify.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    France
    The Dutch are GOOD at kickball
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,719
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Brazil
    Bob_C said:

chuck said:

As I recall the world cup is marred by cautious play and ties in group play

Still bitter about My Mexicans getting robbed in 14 as well

There's a lot of insufferable shit in soccer and that's one of the things. I've seen two teams basically playing with 10 defenders and no real interest in trying to score. Top that with an uptick in faking injuries and some of the most faggy refereeing (quick yellow cards) and I now think it's unwatchable.
    If the US actually cared we would dominate. Imagine the roster just taking backup WR’a and CB’s from NFL teams. Thus I don’t care.
    soccer is still the fourth sport here, maybe fifth behind hockey in places like Minnesota

I'm a casual fan and I'll watch some Euro leagues, but it's not displacing football, basketball, and beisbol any time soon. To be elite, you have to develop kids in academies and select teams at a young age. While there's a little of that, there's far more in beisbol and AAU basketball for, let's be honest, mostly black kids. I got really mad in 2014 when we lost to the Belgians, but I'm more at peace knowing the US is not a top ten team. I just enjoy the gaymes and hope for the best, but "we" aren't going to challenge Brazil, Argentina, Germany (I know they're out, but they'll be back), France etc. any time soon.
    France

Bob_C said:

chuck said:

There's a lot of insufferable shit in soccer and that's one of the things. I've seen two teams basically playing with 10 defenders and no real interest in trying to score. Top that with an uptick in faking injuries and some of the most faggy refereeing (quick yellow cards) and I now think it's unwatchable.
    If the US actually cared we would dominate. Imagine the roster just taking backup WR’a and CB’s from NFL teams. Thus I don’t care.
    soccer is still the fourth sport here, maybe fifth behind hockey in places like Minnesota

I'm a casual fan and I'll watch some Euro leagues, but it's not displacing football, basketball, and beisbol any time soon. To be elite, you have to develop kids in academies and select teams at a young age. While there's a little of that, there's far more in beisbol and AAU basketball for, let's be honest, mostly black kids. I got really mad in 2014 when we lost to the Belgians, but I'm more at peace knowing the US is not a top ten team. I just enjoy the gaymes and hope for the best, but "we" aren't going to challenge Brazil, Argentina, Germany (I know they're out, but they'll be back), France etc. any time soon.
    International clubs are starting to invest in US academies, so maybe we'll have some actual professionals identify and recruit talent here.

That said, I don't think US will ever be able to do enough to be like Euro or S American teams where soccer is #1 and on the minds of everyone all the time.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,768
    Founders Club

Bob_C said:

chuck said:

I'm basically down to football and women's golf for the eye candy.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    Other Euro team
    Odd no soccer dorks posted yesterday. That was a good game. It even had the soccer version of a (almost) bench clearing brawl. I thought the Dutch were going to muscle their way through. They definitely would've cleaned house in a brawl as long as the 80k Argentina fans didn't stampede.

Shootouts are tense when happening but ultimately not a very satisfying end imo.

I'll take this over basketball. Or going outside in a foot of slush.
    France
    France v Argentina should be a good match

Can't wait
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    France
    Colonialists over the Colony
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes