Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Were we?

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited November 2022 in College Football Forum
… wrong! about Harbaugh? And, more generally, wrong about 3 years or GTFO?

@RaceBannon single handedly ushered in this culture of impatience and has to own it. If a coach did it before, should we? gove him more than 3 years to deliver?

Harbaugh has Michigan rolling.

Comments

• Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    He’s definitely an outlier. I’m shocked it actually worked out for him, I thought he was dead in the water.

Good for him though.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've never doubted Harbaugh. I think people just underestimate how difficult it is to stop a juggernaut when it's rolling (Meyer,Saban,Carroll) in college football.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,259
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Urban didn't lose to Michigan

One game season and Day has gone 0 and 2 the last two years

And lost to Oregon
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Day is the millennial version of John cooper.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    He was always good. Just not in Urban’s level which can get you fired at michigan or tosu. Even with Day’s record regardless of what else happens he has about another year or two of michigan losses that he could sustain before being told to leave.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,259
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Harbaugh had a record before Michigan that bought him time. Even so he had to take a pay cut to keep his job before last year when he finally broke through

10 win coach that wins 73% of his games. Would not get fired at UW

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Day is helfrich with better recruiting assistants
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,966
    Founders Club

@RaceBannon single handedly ushered in this culture of impatience and has to own it. If a coach did it before, should we? gove him more than 3 years to deliver?

You argued with me about Harbaugh, and I've always said he was a great coach.

You argued with me about Chip and said he'd struggle to win 7 games this year. I said 9-10 wins and challenged you to a friendly wager, which you declined.

Of course, I was wrong wrong wrong about Russell Wilson having a great season this year, but that's another story.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Harbaugh, as an Alumn, truly cares about Michigan. When they said put up or shut up, He said fine, but I’m gonna do it my way from now on. Most other coaches would have said whatever and took their contract money on the way out the door.
  • Options

You argued with me about Chip and said he'd struggle to win 7 games this year. I said 9-10 wins and challenged you to a friendly wager, which you declined.

Of course, I was wrong wrong wrong about Russell Wilson having a great season this year, but that's another story.
    It took Chip 5 years to have a good Season.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,966
    Founders Club
    Kaepsknee said:

So? Does that mean he didn't win 9 games this season?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Kaepsknee said:

Did he ever hit .500?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Kaepsknee said:

Harbaugh, as an Alumn, truly cares about Michigan. When they said put up or shut up, He said fine, but I’m gonna do it my way from now on. Most other coaches would have said whatever and took their contract money on the way out the door.

This would at least imply that prior to that time his hands were tied. I don't think anyone at Michigan was holding Harbaugh back, but I'd love to hear the theory on why they were not letting him do it "their way" up to this point. And I've heard all about the "Michigan way" and the "Michigan man" and all that shit all my life. It's made up.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Coming back to this. I don't remember arguing with you about Harbaugh, but this thread is evidence of my revisiting my position that his mojo from SDSU and Stanford is gone. I remember arguing about Chip, and I stand by my position. Whoopdeedoo, he eeked out a couple more games than my hyperbole-inspired 7. He had a 20th year QB who was as good an athlete as Mariota, he had a running game and WRs coming out of his ass, and most of all, he had time. And he doesn't even reach the P12 championship game, much less win it.

You're a pretty objective observer and don't get caught up in the Oregon crazies, but it does help to assume everything he has at UCLA and place him at Oregon and then imagine what we? say? We say he's a mediocre coach.

That's what he is now. Something is missing, which is hardly surprising because it happens all the time. You can see it when he gives interviews. He's happy in LA and at that school. The pressure is off. Oregon was a different experience for him, and it showed. He acted like a coach under pressure to do something there. In LA he's a much, much more relaxed version of who he was. He go the money.

As I like to say, great coaches seldom recreate what they did at the next stop. Urbs is the clear exception. I just wonder if Harbaugh is now. We shall soon see. I have my doubts.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Kaepsknee said:

This would at least imply that prior to that time his hands were tied. I don't think anyone at Michigan was holding Harbaugh back, but I'd love to hear the theory on why they were not letting him do it "their way" up to this point. And I've heard all about the "Michigan way" and the "Michigan man" and all that shit all my life. It's made up.
    We never know what the relationships are between the Prez, AD and Football coach.

What the Prez is comfortable with the AD doing. What the AD is comfortable with the Coach doing. And then you have to invert that as well.

Because all 3 have top shelf jobs at a school like Michigan and could have other jobs by Tuesday if that’s what they chose to do.

As you know, as Dwag. The power structure is real between the 3.

Harbaugh had all the power. Until year 3. As things weren’t trending well. And Then, the AD had all the power as it was put up or gtfo.

Pay cuts and lack of extensions. That was the most high profile of a no confidence vote as there has been in modern day CFB. Most corches would have sold their own couch at that point.

Given that. It’s hard for me to envision the power structure between the 3 didn’t shift back to Harbaugh, in exchange for Him staying to turn it around.

And it doesn’t really matter what I think as Michigan proved what I’m saying with the new raise and extension after beating tOSU in ‘21
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Coming back to this. I don't remember arguing with you about Harbaugh, but this thread is evidence of my revisiting my position that his mojo from SDSU and Stanford is gone. I remember arguing about Chip, and I stand by my position. Whoopdeedoo, he eeked out a couple more games than my hyperbole-inspired 7. He had a 20th year QB who was as good an athlete as Mariota, he had a running game and WRs coming out of his ass, and most of all, he had time. And he doesn't even reach the P12 championship game, much less win it.

You're a pretty objective observer and don't get caught up in the Oregon crazies, but it does help to assume everything he has at UCLA and place him at Oregon and then imagine what we? say? We say he's a mediocre coach.

That's what he is now. Something is missing, which is hardly surprising because it happens all the time. You can see it when he gives interviews. He's happy in LA and at that school. The pressure is off. Oregon was a different experience for him, and it showed. He acted like a coach under pressure to do something there. In LA he's a much, much more relaxed version of who he was. He go the money.

As I like to say, great coaches seldom recreate what they did at the next stop. Urbs is the clear exception. I just wonder if Harbaugh is now. We shall soon see. I have my doubts.
    Chip is fat and happy after getting fired from the Eagles and 49ers. I believe his buyouts were like $25M.

At Oregon, only three of the assistants were his hires. The rest were pretty much dead wood (as far as recruiting) and some as coaches as well.

To hire Kelly, Oregon had to force Bellotti to retire from coaching. AD for 1 year, then on to broadcasting and a fantastic PERS retirement from the State of Oregon.

Kelly didn’t cater to the “moneyed” alumn and this annoyed the big boys.

He wanted to leave a year earlier to the NFL than he did.

Chip’s agent was also the agent for UnderArmor.

UCLA wanted a splashy hire . . . Answer: Chip Kelly.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Kaepsknee said:

Kaepsknee said:

We never know what the relationships are between the Prez, AD and Football coach.

What the Prez is comfortable with the AD doing. What the AD is comfortable with the Coach doing. And then you have to invert that as well.

Because all 3 have top shelf jobs at a school like Michigan and could have other jobs by Tuesday if that’s what they chose to do.

As you know, as Dwag. The power structure is real between the 3.

Harbaugh had all the power. Until year 3. As things weren’t trending well. And Then, the AD had all the power as it was put up or gtfo.

Pay cuts and lack of extensions. That was the most high profile of a no confidence vote as there has been in modern day CFB. Most corches would have sold their own couch at that point.

Given that. It’s hard for me to envision the power structure between the 3 didn’t shift back to Harbaugh, in exchange for Him staying to turn it around.

And it doesn’t really matter what I think as Michigan proved what I’m saying with the new raise and extension after beating tOSU in ‘21

Harbaugh was Head Coach at University of San Diego, not the San Diego State Aztecs. University of San Diego is a FCS football program.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Kaepsknee said:

Just needed time to get his guys in there. Some here, or formerly here, expect instant wins. So do I but still.

One formerly here wouldn't even credit Coach DeBoner's 10 win inaugural until said former poster viewed 18, no 20 games. CFB committee must read these boreds and fucked the Dawgs out of a conference shot at the title and a Rose Bowel. Thanks for noth8ng former poster!
  • Options
    Kaepsknee said:

UCLA’s a different gig. UCLA fans historically haven’t given a shit about football.

Chip hated to recruit at Oregon and appears to not work very hard at it at UCLA. It’s also tougher to get recruits into UCLA.

See Bryan Addison, WR recruit at UCLA. Couldn’t get into UCLA. Showed up at Oregon in August one year. Now playing at safety at Oregon.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Harbaugh went back to back playoffs and curb stomping if tOSU.

The difference is Meyer is gone, it's pretty simple. Harbaugh has won everywhere big, not sure it's up for debate.