Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Penix covering for Huff

2»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,542 Founders Club
    That's 55th which is in the middle which is mediocre. Not sucks

Don't have a ranking on TD percentage but it's not good

Mediocre

Recency bias is no way to evaluate performance
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,546 Founders Club

The OL has played great. Teams haven’t gotten to Penix often. I read somewhere that our RB’s are near the bottom of the country in terms of exceeding expected yards per carry. We all know the RB’s aren’t anything special, but it’s telling. Our run game is not abysmal.

Part of that is because Penix and the passing game is so dangerous, but it’s also because the OL is doing a good job. I hated Huff being retained, but it has worked out just fine.

During the Oregon game they mentioned Washington was last in the conference at broken tackles per carry.

Don't quote me but it was like 0.18 which is awful.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2022

You don’t like Huff, which is well deserved. I’ve never really been a fan either. The OL got worse when he took over from Strausser.

This stat doesn’t prove much. We are scoring TD’s in the red zone at the same percentage as Bama (66%). We are 3% behind the #1 team on this list, Georgia. I think we can all agree that an actually good RB would help us. The RB’s are the weakest part of our offense.

Huff recruited the OL, they have been much improved, and if you look at the depth chart, the OL should continue to be good.

We haven’t converted a couple of short yardage opportunities, which is frustrating, but both the eye test and stats have shown the OL has played very well.

It’s worked out so far. I wouldn’t be worried if Huff left or got fired, but results are results.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/703
    Alabama wants to fire Bill O Brian. Red zone has cost them two losses

Saying that keeping Huff is embracing mediocrity is generous

There's a body of work

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,940 Swaye's Wigwam
    I read or heard some stats a week or so ago regarding UWs running game. There was a metric for situational running play success. In other words, did the play achieve what was needed inbthe situation.

One would assume, based on what most seem to remember and all the comments here, that UW would rate pretty low in this metric. Not the case though.

I'd try to look it up but that's pretty intensive for what I'm doing at the moment.

And it's just a stat. I'm not taking a side re: Huff just by mentioning it. Just thought it was interesting and surprising.

Baseman said:

When your QB is leading the country in passing yards and has only been sacked five times…. That’s damn good. I can’t pretend like our OL hasn’t been good this season. I know nobody has said they aren’t good, but still. I’ve bashed Huff many times, but he gets credit for his group playing well.

If Huff doesn't get credit for the good this year, if its all Penix and the scheme, Huff shouldn't take shit for Peterman/Donovan's abortion of an offense
    OL has played well this year and will be good again next year. Both tackles are studs. We lose three starters, but we have talent and depth. I don’t think I’ll want Huff fired anytime soon.

Huff is an example of the old rule here that the HC is all that matters. DeBoer and Grubb know what they are doing and now a seemingly shitty assistant isn’t so shitty anymore.
    Most of the time and I've beat the hell out of this drum.

At the same time I expect the HC to make staff changes where it looks loke it can be a benefit. I'd probably be looking at other assistants if I'm Deboer, but I'd do it quietly and not announce any firings or changes until the new guys are identified.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,415 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Baseman said:

When your QB is leading the country in passing yards and has only been sacked five times…. That’s damn good. I can’t pretend like our OL hasn’t been good this season. I know nobody has said they aren’t good, but still. I’ve bashed Huff many times, but he gets credit for his group playing well.

If Huff doesn't get credit for the good this year, if its all Penix and the scheme, Huff shouldn't take shit for Peterman/Donovan's abortion of an offense
    OL has played well this year and will be good again next year. Both tackles are studs. We lose three starters, but we have talent and depth. I don’t think I’ll want Huff fired anytime soon.

Huff is an example of the old rule here that the HC is all that matters. DeBoer and Grubb know what they are doing and now a seemingly shitty assistant isn’t so shitty anymore.

At the same time I expect the HC to make staff changes where it looks loke it can be a benefit. I'd probably be looking at other assistants if I'm Deboer, but I'd do it quietly and not announce any firings or changes until the new guys are identified.
    Fix the defense first.

chuck said:

Baseman said:

Fix the defense first.
    Goes without saying...
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Baseman said:

Roady gets it