Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Haener or Penix

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,582
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited November 2022
    chuck said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

To be fair, Haener is one of the leaders in the country in QBR (higher than Penix) and would have done well here too.

Fresno state was on a losing streak while he was hurt, but have won every game since his return and lead their division.

If nothing else it shows Deboer can develop.

Holding out hope for Sam, but the common trait in Penix/Haener seems to be gunslinger mentality and I'm not sure he fits that.

My guess is Portal QB or awkward Morris transition year to Kienholz as a redshirt starter.

More bullish on Sam than DMO. Sam ran a similar offense to what UW has now in high school and carved. Quick and correct decisions, albeit with D-1 talent and against a weak league. Donovan's passing schemes set him back. Longer developing routes, fewer WRs, more TE emphasis with befuddling route trees.

DMO makes too many ill advised throws, is shorter with a max effort delivery. Neither he or Sam are real threats extending plays.

I'd wager Sam has the inside track but expect a portal addition which probably influences either, DMO more likely to LEAVE.

Either way, it will be interesting or it won't
    DMO is a gunslinger that will let it rip

Huard has all the arm talent in the world but I dont think the mental game is there yet

DMO is hyped on the sidelines and is often seen joking around with Penix and celebrating with him

Huard is nowhere to be seen
    K.

Every team needs a hype cheer leader type. At least one poster on these boreds fashioned DMO ELITE out of HS.

My DMO scouting report included the "gunslinger" moniker albeit a negative connotation.

Short in stature and Big balled, I predicted DMO would generate big plays mixed with forced errors that would cost games, frustrate Husky nation, and turn him into the new HH anathema.

Millen and Damon made NFL careers playing the cheerleader role. I don't see DMO having an NFL future. Nor do I have him winning an Orange Bowl or piloting a team two plays away from two Rosebowls ( @puppylove_sugarsteel )

I do applaud DMOs sideline enthusiasm and laud you for the astute observation.

You don't get my point here. DMO is ahead of Huard. Huard is not as good and is not a leader via his body language. I'm not arguing whether or not DMO is winning us a big Bowl or even getting us to one.
    Next year, the odds of who we start goes as follows:

50% - Transfer
    25% - Kienholz
    23% - DMO
    1% - Huard
    1% - Penix
    Not that there's anything riding on it, but I think it's a mistake to dismiss Huard based on a tiny amount of info, presumption and reading of sideline body language.

I wouldn't rule out the true freshman in 2023 though. Big, swinging dick that can run.
    I'm dismissing him based off of the fact that two different coaching staffs think that Morris is better.

Could Huard have an offseason of revelation? Sure.

Practice reports are always like this - TD, INT, INT, 3 and Out, TD, INT, Fumble
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

To be fair, Haener is one of the leaders in the country in QBR (higher than Penix) and would have done well here too.

Fresno state was on a losing streak while he was hurt, but have won every game since his return and lead their division.

Holding out hope for Sam, but the common trait in Penix/Haener seems to be gunslinger mentality and I'm not sure he fits that.

My guess is Portal QB or awkward Morris transition year to Kienholz as a redshirt starter.

More bullish on Sam than DMO. Sam ran a similar offense to what UW has now in high school and carved. Quick and correct decisions, albeit with D-1 talent and against a weak league. Donovan's passing schemes set him back. Longer developing routes, fewer WRs, more TE emphasis with befuddling route trees.

DMO makes too many ill advised throws, is shorter with a max effort delivery. Neither he or Sam are real threats extending plays.

I'd wager Sam has the inside track but expect a portal addition which probably influences either, DMO more likely to LEAVE.

Huard has all the arm talent in the world but I dont think the mental game is there yet

DMO is hyped on the sidelines and is often seen joking around with Penix and celebrating with him

K.

Every team needs a hype cheer leader type. At least one poster on these boreds fashioned DMO ELITE out of HS.

My DMO scouting report included the "gunslinger" moniker albeit a negative connotation.

Short in stature and Big balled, I predicted DMO would generate big plays mixed with forced errors that would cost games, frustrate Husky nation, and turn him into the new HH anathema.

Millen and Damon made NFL careers playing the cheerleader role. I don't see DMO having an NFL future. Nor do I have him winning an Orange Bowl or piloting a team two plays away from two Rosebowls ( @puppylove_sugarsteel )

You don't get my point here. DMO is ahead of Huard. Huard is not as good and is not a leader via his body language. I'm not arguing whether or not DMO is winning us a big Bowl or even getting us to one.

50% - Transfer
    25% - Kienholz
    23% - DMO
    1% - Huard
    1% - Penix
    Not that there's anything riding on it, but I think it's a mistake to dismiss Huard based on a tiny amount of info, presumption and reading of sideline body language.

I wouldn't rule out the true freshman in 2023 though. Big, swinging dick that can run.
    I'm dismissing him based off of the fact that two different coaching staffs think that Morris is better.

Practice reports are always like this - TD, INT, INT, 3 and Out, TD, INT, Fumble
    Huard could be in line to replace Penix if he were out for the season. We really don't know. Morris came in for a series early because they only needed someone to call the offense and hang onto the ball. He struggled with that in his only chance.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

K.

50% - Transfer
    25% - Kienholz
    23% - DMO
    1% - Huard
    1% - Penix
    I got your point. You don't get mine and I am RIGHT
    I think DMO with Grubb, if he isn't totally ruined by Donovan PTSD, could potentially be as good as Haener was for Fresno State last year.
    There will be a portal QB. Count on it.

Saw enough of DMO in HS to know who he is and it's not PAC championship level.

Also saw Sam who looked like Penix. He doesn't have a cannon but it's avg+ for a college QB and plays up with touch and decision making.

If you think DMO improves under Grubb, why not Sam? Never thought Sam was elite. a very good prospect for an air-raid/spread offense. Pro-style run heavy out of 11 or 12 personnel, like Donovan? No.

Sam's a better athlete than DMO but neither are even Pac average for extending plays.

Let DeBoener get another guy in here this off-season. Competition in the spring and summer. Let the best man win
  • Options
    TrojanSwordTrojanSword Member Posts: 542
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    That is one of the pros about the Portal. If De Boner shows he can be a QB whisperer maybe some disgruntled high star QBs around the country take notice and he can have his pick from the portal until he can pick his own out of high school.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

K.

50% - Transfer
    25% - Kienholz
    23% - DMO
    1% - Huard
    1% - Penix

Huard could be in line to replace Penix if he were out for the season. We really don't know. Morris came in for a series early because they only needed someone to call the offense and hang onto the ball. He struggled with that in his only chance.
    We don’t know, but I’m pretty sure Morris would be the first one in.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

That is one of the pros about the Portal. If De Boner shows he can be a QB whisperer maybe some disgruntled high star QBs around the country take notice and he can have his pick from the portal until he can pick his own out of high school.

Ewers from Texas

Arch is already enrolled

And yes Ewers has struggled lately but he's a freshman
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Morris threw darts until he didn't, he's never shown touch or a longball, but there's potential.

I have faith that between Morris, Huard, Kienholz, and a transfer that Deboer will figure it out. It's his bread and butter.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm more worried about almost every other position besides QB next year. Deboer and Grubb have proven to have a high floor there. Weather they figure out how to unlock Sam, crank DMO up a notch or get a portal guy I can't see them putting a dud out
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Sam is just not a tough kid. Every time I’ve seen him play he just looks befuddled by the speed of P5 football.

He’s a slightly twitchier jake browning.

Unlike peterman, kalen likes really good qbs. Portal.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,120
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

K.

DMO = future recruiting coordinator somewhere
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

K.

DMO = future recruiting coordinator somewhere
    I'm Jordan Reffett and I approve this message
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2022
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

K.

receipts please? I called Sirmon elite if that's who you are thinking of.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sam is just not a tough kid. Every time I’ve seen him play he just looks befuddled by the speed of P5 football.

Yep. There is nothing that points to Sam Huard being a good QB other than his recruiting ranking. Huard starting at UW and playing well is very unlikely.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,353
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yep. There is nothing that points to Sam Huard being a good QB other than his recruiting ranking. Huard starting at UW and playing well is very unlikely.
    I’m still willing to give him more tim. Not sure there were many Haener believers in these here parts.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Penix has a higher ceiling, Haener wouldn’t be much of a drop off if at all. But Penix makes throws Haener can’t, gets attention Haener wouldn’t, and has a much better chance of ending UWs decent NFL QB drought. I’m not sure our record is any worse with Haener but long term Penix provides more. Also keeps us from having to relive a bunch of the Pete era that we’d have to with Haener.

Record probably the same, vibes much better with Penix.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Penix has a higher ceiling, Haener wouldn’t be much of a drop off if at all. But Penix makes throws Haener can’t, gets attention Haener wouldn’t, and has a much better chance of ending UWs decent NFL QB drought. I’m not sure our record is any worse with Haener but long term Penix provides more. Also keeps us from having to relive a bunch of the Pete era that we’d have to with Haener.

Record probably the same, vibes much better with Penix.

I think Penix plays tougher than Haener because he’s a bigger, stronger guy. Penix stands tall in the pocket, steps up in the pocket and delivers the ball from a better platform. (I know penix has his own injury history)

Anyway I would take penix 10 out of 10 over haener whose size hampers effectiveness over a full P5 season.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022
    What a gay thread.

Bathhouse energy is strong.
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,009
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Since no one has answered my question, i shall ask again

Do you think Kalen told Haener to stay home after he found out Penix had interest in UW?

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,120
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

I’m still willing to give him more tim. Not sure there were many Haener believers in these here parts.
    It was pretty much just me. It seems like there was one other.