Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Haener or Penix

Was thinking how Jakey Haener almost came to UW and bowed out last minute. Wondering if this was Kalens plan the whole time ie: getting Penix? Or if he just lucked out?

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Haener had a vocal and rabid following here. I got on the wrong side of them

I knew Penix and Jake Haener is no Penix

Race and I were RIGHT
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 787
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    Jake Haener 2023 UW starting QB. Cook it.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,031
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    haener pros: smoke for a mom cons; kind of just 'good' qb

penix pros: really fuckin good cons: ??
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

To be fair, Haener is one of the leaders in the country in QBR (higher than Penix) and would have done well here too.

Fresno state was on a losing streak while he was hurt, but have won every game since his return and lead their division.

If nothing else it shows Deboer can develop.

Holding out hope for Sam, but the common trait in Penix/Haener seems to be gunslinger mentality and I'm not sure he fits that.

My guess is Portal QB or awkward Morris transition year to Kienholz as a redshirt starter.

Haener is having a great year.
    8th in the country in QB rating and #1 in the country in completion %.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,249
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Haener had a vocal and rabid following here. I got on the wrong side of them

I knew Penix and Jake Haener is no Penix

I was (and am) enamored with both of them
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,950
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Would need to see pics of Penix' mom for an evaluation of all variables involved.

• Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Coaching. Penix isn't penix if he went to Cal. I think Eason, Haener and even Morris would look better than they did. What do you think penix looks like under Jimmy Pond?
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

To be fair, Haener is one of the leaders in the country in QBR (higher than Penix) and would have done well here too.

Fresno state was on a losing streak while he was hurt, but have won every game since his return and lead their division.

Holding out hope for Sam, but the common trait in Penix/Haener seems to be gunslinger mentality and I'm not sure he fits that.

My guess is Portal QB or awkward Morris transition year to Kienholz as a redshirt starter.

More bullish on Sam than DMO. Sam ran a similar offense to what UW has now in high school and carved. Quick and correct decisions, albeit with D-1 talent and against a weak league. Donovan's passing schemes set him back. Longer developing routes, fewer WRs, more TE emphasis with befuddling route trees.

DMO makes too many ill advised throws, is shorter with a max effort delivery. Neither he or Sam are real threats extending plays.

I'd wager Sam has the inside track but expect a portal addition which probably influences either, DMO more likely to LEAVE.

Either way, it will be interesting or it won't
    DMO is a gunslinger that will let it rip

Huard has all the arm talent in the world but I dont think the mental game is there yet

DMO is hyped on the sidelines and is often seen joking around with Penix and celebrating with him

Huard is nowhere to be seen
    K.

Every team needs a hype cheer leader type. At least one poster on these boreds fashioned DMO ELITE out of HS.

My DMO scouting report included the "gunslinger" moniker albeit a negative connotation.

Short in stature and Big balled, I predicted DMO would generate big plays mixed with forced errors that would cost games, frustrate Husky nation, and turn him into the new HH anathema.

Millen and Damon made NFL careers playing the cheerleader role. I don't see DMO having an NFL future. Nor do I have him winning an Orange Bowl or piloting a team two plays away from two Rosebowls ( @puppylove_sugarsteel )

I do applaud DMOs sideline enthusiasm and laud you for the astute observation.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,610
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited November 2022
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

More bullish on Sam than DMO. Sam ran a similar offense to what UW has now in high school and carved. Quick and correct decisions, albeit with D-1 talent and against a weak league. Donovan's passing schemes set him back. Longer developing routes, fewer WRs, more TE emphasis with befuddling route trees.

DMO makes too many ill advised throws, is shorter with a max effort delivery. Neither he or Sam are real threats extending plays.

I'd wager Sam has the inside track but expect a portal addition which probably influences either, DMO more likely to LEAVE.

Huard has all the arm talent in the world but I dont think the mental game is there yet

DMO is hyped on the sidelines and is often seen joking around with Penix and celebrating with him

K.

Every team needs a hype cheer leader type. At least one poster on these boreds fashioned DMO ELITE out of HS.

My DMO scouting report included the "gunslinger" moniker albeit a negative connotation.

Short in stature and Big balled, I predicted DMO would generate big plays mixed with forced errors that would cost games, frustrate Husky nation, and turn him into the new HH anathema.

Millen and Damon made NFL careers playing the cheerleader role. I don't see DMO having an NFL future. Nor do I have him winning an Orange Bowl or piloting a team two plays away from two Rosebowls ( @puppylove_sugarsteel )

You don't get my point here. DMO is ahead of Huard. Huard is not as good and is not a leader via his body language. I'm not arguing whether or not DMO is winning us a big Bowl or even getting us to one.
    Next year, the odds of who we start goes as follows:

50% - Transfer
    25% - Kienholz
    23% - DMO
    1% - Huard
    1% - Penix
  • Options

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

K.

You don't get my point here. DMO is ahead of Huard. Huard is not as good and is not a leader via his body language. I'm not arguing whether or not DMO is winning us a big Bowl or even getting us to one.

50% - Transfer
    25% - Kienholz
    23% - DMO
    1% - Huard
    1% - Penix
    I got your point. You don't get mine and I am RIGHT
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,610
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

K.

50% - Transfer
    25% - Kienholz
    23% - DMO
    1% - Huard
    1% - Penix
    I got your point. You don't get mine and I am RIGHT
    I think DMO with Grubb, if he isn't totally ruined by Donovan PTSD, could potentially be as good as Haener was for Fresno State last year.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Doogles said:

K.

50% - Transfer
    25% - Kienholz
    23% - DMO
    1% - Huard
    1% - Penix
    Not that there's anything riding on it, but I think it's a mistake to dismiss Huard based on a tiny amount of info, presumption and reading of sideline body language.

I wouldn't rule out the true freshman in 2023 though. Big, swinging dick that can run.