Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If we had more fathers like this the world would be a better place

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited November 2022
    Jack Python Westover > Jack Cobra Browning
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,989
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm so fucked on this.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,556
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Imagine paying money to be educated in Eugene.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

What does one do as an Oregon resident though?

I generally think private schools and out of state tuition are a waste of money unless there is some slam dunk ROI and you've got @creepycoug kid's level academis prowess.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

I generally think private schools and out of state tuition are a waste of money unless there is some slam dunk ROI and you've got @creepycoug kid's level academis prowess.
    If you're from a state with decent public schools.

The maff is different if you're not.

My kid's top choice is Penn State, and I have been blowing her shit about the cost of it compared to the value of UVA/VaTech (VA resident). She got so sick of it she tried to convince me her top choice was now Oregon. I told her that's fine it can be but you can pay for the whole damn thing and also fuck off.

Needs to work on her bluffing ability.
    Obviously UVA falls into the "Public Ivy" (LOL) category and Penn State is not. But it's not like Penn State or UO are terrible schools for academis.

But still they aren't places you should strive to attend out of state.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    whlinder said:

If you're from a state with decent public schools.

The maff is different if you're not.

My kid's top choice is Penn State, and I have been blowing her shit about the cost of it compared to the value of UVA/VaTech (VA resident). She got so sick of it she tried to convince me her top choice was now Oregon. I told her that's fine it can be but you can pay for the whole damn thing and also fuck off.

Needs to work on her bluffing ability.
    I don't want to be a dick here to my fellow Sean Taylor guy (hi @RoadDawg55 ), but your dilemma isn't just in-state tuition vs. out of state tuition, but UVa is just a much more elite school with a much better academic reputation. If I lived in Pennsylvania and my kid got into UVa and PSU, I'd pay the OOS for UVa. Va. Tech less so, but not much less so.

So, yeah, in that case, I'd say, no.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    TheHB said:

46XiJCAB said:
    Duck off. It’s Bellevue College.
    My bad. Bellevue College in the Community of Bellevue.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,542
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

It’s fucking obvious.
    I was going to say. If you grow up in Oregon and go to UO over Oregon State you are legally retarded and should just go get a full time caregiver.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,542
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

UW's surge in the academic world is largely a function of its QS world rankings, which focuses on a few variables that work well for Washington. But those same rankings tell me I should choose ASU over Dartmouth and has schools like Arizona pegged above schools like UVa or Vanderbilt; so, depending on who you are and what you value, that's either fubar or gold Jerry, gold.

UW is quite elite in some key areas, like comp. sci and biotech, and I'm proud of that as an alumnus. But as serious adult talk in the real world, outside of things like that, I don't think it matters. Haie has a lot of good fun with it, but the UW and UO history major are going to be treated pretty equally and you're not going to convince me anybody knows whether one received a better education than the other.

I also try and remember that it's harder to get into UO, OSU, WSU, UA and ASU now than it was for me to get into UW when I did, and a lot of the things that make UW stand out now were non-existent when I graduated. So for a lot of us, walking around with academis superiority boners makes about as much sense as it did for Jimmy Lake ... or Mahler himself, who tells Twatter that he didn't finish community college.

Turning it around: UW will typically trail (by a lot) Cal, UCLA and Michigan, and by less, Illinois, Wisky, UNC CH and UT. Hell, there are more than a few rankings (including US News) that has Florida ranked higher than UW. Do I think those schools are better, much less a lot better, than UW, or more ridiculously, that those kids are getting a better education than they would at UW? No, I don't.

It's suck-my-dick week. Which means everyone is on @haie alert and the fur and the feathers are flying.
    You are smart AF to do UW undergrad + JD so I give you a pass, but when it comes to these things you can't live in the past.

And the reality is UW was really hard to get into when I went there, and it's extremely hard now. They want to be Berkeley. Doesn't matter that they aren't.

It's a different game than Oregon and the state schools.

But the state schools still do a pretty good job and get what needs to be taught in 2022.

Oregon just puts out shit and tells their residents to eat it.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I love Westy he has swag above his pay grade and makes clutch plays. He might be the next iteration of UW TE that we don't think that much of then goes on to play a decade in the league
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It’s fucking obvious.
    My father in lawhas a masters in civil engineering from Boove (ND undergrad) so maybe family influence can help.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,556
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It’s fucking obvious.
    Move?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

When I was eight or nine years old my dad told me if Oregon was the only school I could get into he wouldn’t pay for it.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

When I was eight or nine years old my dad told me if Oregon was the only school I could get into he wouldn’t pay for it.
    First, fuck off Softy. You’re a mouth breathing retard.

I told all the Glovelets the same thing Westovers dad told him.

The deal was they already knew they’d never go there cuz I raised them the right way.

There no such thing as Duck Hate Week in my house. It’s Duck Hate Lifetime.