Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

We should have paid Miami to take Mario off our hands

2»

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

I love that all the Ducks now basically say what I said about Crisco for years. I have no idea what to think of Lannning other than the Pac-12 fucking sucks and other than USC every program in the conference won’t be able to compete recruiting.

Oregon’s bet might actually be to stay in the conference and try to become college football’s Gonzaga.

Recruiting, A rose bowl win, and his mastery over UW bought him a lot of equity with Oregon fans.

The 2020 losses to Oregon St and Cal followed by a blowout loss to Iowa St in the Fiesta Bowl we’re warning signs, but most excused those due to Covid restrictions.

The 2021 loss to Stanford coupled with the late season meltdowns against Utah were enough for me to say that Cristobal had serious flaws in his game planning processes and that he was unlikely to grow out of that.

The way in which he checked out in November and left Oregon was enough to get even his most ardent supporters to say something was rotten with him all along.

Hindsight is 20/20 POTD
    Stanford loss in 2021 was the deal breaker for me.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I recall a local radio personality saying that there was something going on at Oregon but he didn't know exactly what it was. There was a weird vibe coming out of Eugene that wasn't there previously. MC was gone within a month.

People can't stand a HC who checks out on his team. Those Utah slaughters were 100% on MC. The meeting this Nov. should be very interesting.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    thechatch said:

I love that all the Ducks now basically say what I said about Crisco for years. I have no idea what to think of Lannning other than the Pac-12 fucking sucks and other than USC every program in the conference won’t be able to compete recruiting.

Oregon’s bet might actually be to stay in the conference and try to become college football’s Gonzaga.

Recruiting, A rose bowl win, and his mastery over UW bought him a lot of equity with Oregon fans.

The 2020 losses to Oregon St and Cal followed by a blowout loss to Iowa St in the Fiesta Bowl we’re warning signs, but most excused those due to Covid restrictions.

The 2021 loss to Stanford coupled with the late season meltdowns against Utah were enough for me to say that Cristobal had serious flaws in his game planning processes and that he was unlikely to grow out of that.

The way in which he checked out in November and left Oregon was enough to get even his most ardent supporters to say something was rotten with him all along.

Hindsight is 20/20 POTD
    That FB loss to the Fighting Campbell's of Mighty Iowa St. was F'n embarrassing. Another MC failure to launch.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    A lot of us were in early in 2019. But from where the program was you had to give him time and they shockingly delivered a RB Win. None of us thought they were beating Utah in the CCG that year, they let Herbert run in that game and in the RB and it covered a lot of the shit on a stick football they were playing towards the end of 2019.

Oregon had 204 yards of total offense in the Rose Bowl. This is college football. Not the Houston Texans in a wildcard game.

Something similar in the fake 2020 CCG vs USC.

He makes very run of the mill college football things look nearly impossible.

2020 was crap.

2021 was crap sans tOSU. Awful, awful games to watch.

They got worse the longer he was here while bringing in some of the highest rated classes in school history and the cupboards weren’t bare when he got the job.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So Lanning is only winning with Cristobol players?

@creepycoug

I know I know Lanning has a top 10 class
  • Options

@creepycoug

So far…

But at the very least they look like they’re playing modern college football again, not trying to solve a Rubik's Cube with a blindfold on.

Baby steps.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

@creepycoug

So far…

But at the very least they look like they’re playing modern college football again, not trying to solve a Rubik's Cube with a blindfold on.

Baby steps.
    Someone said they looked more like Chip than Chip

They were very crisp against the Bruins
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

@creepycoug

So far…

Baby steps.

It’s just nice that when Oregon lines up, I have no idea what play they are running. I haven’t been able to say that for the last 3 or so years.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

@creepycoug

So far…

Baby steps.

Like most things in life, it's not in fact black and white, but at least a little more subtle. This place isn't life, so I understand.

My sober take on Mario is in general agreement with the Ducks. He needed to turn the reigns over to a good OC with the understanding of what he wanted he wanted long-term. He was also ridiculously stubborn about sticking with Brown, who was broken, and no, Cristo didn't break him; he broke himself by making stupid decisions on the field and being accurate with the ball maybe 1/4 of the time, with no ability to hit a deep route ever. No offense or coach is to blame for that, no matter where he's holding a clipboard now, other than sticking with him. Cristobal stuck with him so he bought him.

No, he's not some elite coach, obviously, but some Ducks are understandably writing what he did well out of the narrative. It wasn't "shocking" that they delivered a RB; they were the best team in the conference as demonstrated by the wins over DWAG and the ass kicking of Ute in the champ. Pretty simple. They ran Herbert in the money games not because it took them that long to figure it out, but because somebody remembered his injury at Doovil on a QB dive play. As you all will no doubt recall, Oregon's QB room lacked depth, to say the least. Smart move. You can't win a RB you don't get to.

Lanning looks like a great coach and is probably an upgrade. LIPO as you wander into the meat of the schedule, and as for recruiting, I count my chickens when they hatch. Mario delivered. Lanning might well too, but hasn't done it yet.

Oh, and I'll repeat it again: he beat Peterson 3 times. It'll be a little while before Lanning gets to go after a win against a put-together DWAG squad. In Seattle, that would count for a lot.
  • Options

@creepycoug

So far…

Baby steps.

Like most things in life, it's not in fact black and white, but at least a little more subtle. This place isn't life, so I understand.

My sober take on Mario is in general agreement with the Ducks. He needed to turn the reigns over to a good OC with the understanding of what he wanted he wanted long-term. He was also ridiculously stubborn about sticking with Brown, who was broken, and no, Cristo didn't break him; he broke himself by making stupid decisions on the field and being accurate with the ball maybe 1/4 of the time, with no ability to hit a deep route ever. No offense or coach is to blame for that, no matter where he's holding a clipboard now, other than sticking with him. Cristobal stuck with him so he bought him.

No, he's not some elite coach, obviously, but some Ducks are understandably writing what he did well out of the narrative. It wasn't "shocking" that they delivered a RB; they were the best team in the conference as demonstrated by the wins over DWAG and the ass kicking of Ute in the champ. Pretty simple. They ran Herbert in the money games not because it took them that long to figure it out, but because somebody remembered his injury at Doovil on a QB dive play. As you all will no doubt recall, Oregon's QB room lacked depth, to say the least. Smart move. You can't win a RB you don't get to.

Lanning looks like a great coach and is probably an upgrade. LIPO as you wander into the meat of the schedule, and as for recruiting, I count my chickens when they hatch. Mario delivered. Lanning might well too, but hasn't done it yet.

Oh, and I'll repeat it again: he beat Peterson 3 times. It'll be a little while before Lanning gets to go after a win against a put-together DWAG squad. In Seattle, that would count for a lot.
    Agree with some of this. Not all of it. I should probably stop there because I don’t want to talk about him anymore but I do so enjoy it….

Around here we blame the head coach. His hatchlings were all in place last year when they played some of the worst looking football in the country. Year 4. His guys were in there. The current running backs and starting QB are not MCs which is a massive reason Oregon is winning. He had the same Oline last season, granted a year younger, they looked nothing like they do this year and it’s not about them just being more physical or a year older. it’s the way they’re scheming with them.

He sucks bro.

Case has been closed for a couple months now.

Side note, he beat Patterson twice not thrice. Not that twice wasn’t enough, don’t twist.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2022

@creepycoug

So far…

Baby steps.

Agree with some of this. Not all of it. I should probably stop there because I don’t want to talk about him anymore but I do so enjoy it….

Around here we blame the head coach. His hatchlings were all in place last year when they played some of the worst looking football in the country. Year 4. His guys were in there. The current running backs and starting QB are not MCs which is a massive reason Oregon is winning. He had the same Oline last season, granted a year younger, they looked nothing like they do this year and it’s not about them just being more physical or a year older. it’s the way they’re scheming with them.

He sucks bro.

Case has been closed for a couple months now.

Side note, he beat Patterson twice not thrice. Not that twice wasn’t enough, don’t twist.
    Brutal. True about Peterman. Forgot Mario sent him off to retirement early, which in turn set your favorite program back 4 or more years. Another thing for which you should be grateful to Criscoballz.