Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Magical season?

13»

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Bob_C said:

Will BA's naturally just go up because of the new shift rules going in? Seems like they would, and a real opportunity for the nerds to find out which guys were most impacted negatively by the shift and go try to snatch up those cheap contracts.

The counter to that I guess is will batters be negatively impacted by seeing the shortstop sprinting towards right field once the pitch is in the air? Seems like that is possible.

Yep seems like this will be an issue and one that is almost impossible to predict. Somebody in Tampa is trying to develop an algorithm for it right now though assuredly. Going to be a really chinteresting adjustment year.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    They had to make the playoffs this year and did. Then they even won a playoff series.

It's not a natty but it might just be the 1989 Freedom Bowel.

I'm as optimistic as a fan who has lived through 30 some years of Mariner failure can be.

LIFPO
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

They had to make the playoffs this year and did. Then they even won a playoff series.

I'm as optimistic as a fan who has lived through 30 some years of Mariner failure can be.

LIFPO

Anyone watching can see they've built a contender that can go toe to toe with anyone. The question is whether it takes another step or not, and a yes answer seems to bee in the cards. Good tims.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Reminds me of a convo with an old departed scout when I was breaking in. The question: Arms or bats? His reply…”Arms. You trade young arms for the fucking bats”. “We” are getting there…
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Reminds me of a convo with an old departed scout when I was breaking in. The question: Arms or bats? His reply…”Arms. You trade young arms for the fucking bats”. “We” are getting there…

It sounds like there are three more guys in the system about ready to come up to MLB. Hancock has the name recognition and the stuff to be a good trade piece. I'd be fine with them moving him only because I don't think his arm will hold up long term.

Flexen is good trade bait. I wish Marco was but the future numbers in his contract look ugly to me. I need to see that again.
    I have no issue with Marco as the 5th starter going forward. He's a former #1starter, a different look than Ray from the left side, and is a competitor and leader. He does well with what he has…that’s a 5th starter. Flex for a bat…
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I have no issue with Marco as the 5th starter going forward. He's a former #1starter, a different look than Ray from the left side, and is a competitor and leader. He does well with what he has…that’s a 5th starter. Flex for a bat…

There's typically a sense that even a dominant staff should accept one soft tosser who "eats innings" and generally keeps you in the game if you're scoring.

I dont subscribe. He's going to be badly overpaid in the near future and is no better than average at anything. I'd dump him with a smile if he wasn't a key guy in the club house and if they weren't tied to him by a questionable contract.

The 5th spot should be where you let your young guys ready to move up make some mlb starts IMO. Of course nothing ever works according to that plan due to injuries or unexpectedly good or bad showings by individuals.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

LIFPO

Being a Mariners fan isn't for sermon seekers
  • phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    i liked what I saw from Flexen during the year, more so than marco.
    Bob_C said:

Will BA's naturally just go up because of the new shift rules going in? Seems like they would, and a real opportunity for the nerds to find out which guys were most impacted negatively by the shift and go try to snatch up those cheap contracts.

The counter to that I guess is will batters be negatively impacted by seeing the shortstop sprinting towards right field once the pitch is in the air? Seems like that is possible.

It is all cause/effect. Launch angle was the counter when everybody started to shift, (if you can't hit it through them, hit it over them) and K numbers started climbing accordingly. The high,"chase" FB becomes a thing to counter it. Defensive positioning adjusts; hitters adjust; pitchers adjust.

It will take a while to make the correction, and it may not be as dramatic as we might think. A lot of guys are making big$$ hitting .220 with 30 jacks and 200 Ks. You will still see shifts, and holes to hit through, but without the Rover...

One thing that is still in play is the different, uncomfortable angles that guys are put in to turn a double-play.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,384
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

Bob_C said:

It is all cause/effect. Launch angle was the counter when everybody started to shift, (if you can't hit it through them, hit it over them) and K numbers started climbing accordingly. The high,"chase" FB becomes a thing to counter it. Defensive positioning adjusts; hitters adjust; pitchers adjust.

It will take a while to make the correction, and it may not be as dramatic as we might think. A lot of guys are making big$$ hitting .220 with 30 jacks and 200 Ks. You will still see shifts, and holes to hit through, but without the Rover...

One thing that is still in play is the different, uncomfortable angles that guys are put in to turn a double-play.
    Isn't MLB about to ban the shift defense? Get rid of that shit, just like you can't actually play zone in the NBA. It ruins the product.

Fishpo31 said:

Bob_C said:

Isn't MLB about to ban the shift defense? Get rid of that shit, just like you can't actually play zone in the NBA. It ruins the product.
    Yes. Two infielders on each side of the bag, feet on the dirt…
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,761
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

Bob_C said:

But they can move once the pitch is in the air.
    Bob_C said:

Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

Bob_C said:

But they can move once the pitch is in the air.
    Yes they can, but the elapsed time for out-of-hand to hitting zone is roughly .425 seconds, at 95mph…
    There will be shifting, but not as radical. Straight-up positioning is roughly 15 feet over, 15 feet deep for middle INF, for corners a step and a dive from the lines. I think we will see the off-side MIF play as far to the pull side as he can, on the "side of origin", per new rule. When one shifts, the corner guy must go with him, so for a LH hitter, the SS will be just to the left side of the bag (as viewed from the plate), and the 3B moving to the 6.5 hole.
    As a college coach, the info is limited, the skill is limited, as is the execution. For the last 15-20 years, I have my guys play to the pull side in the infield, and the off side in the OF. This covers the gaps spacing-wise, so balls don't roll all the way to the wall...