Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Looking for a good divorce attorney preferably in Snohomish or Island County

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,987
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Please send me a PM if you have someone you'd recommend. It's for a friend

Comments

• Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,803
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What's the budget consideration?
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If you listen to enough conservative talk radio in your area there is definitely one advertising multiple times a day.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Get a good pre nup

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834
    Word of advice to your friend.

Make one attempt to get to a settlement with the ex- . It's a community property state so assets are split they way they are split - 50/50 for everything during the marriage. Come up with a reasonable parenting plan if kids are involved. Write down the main points. Take it to any competent lawyer to draw up the documents. Sign the papers.

Then save tens of thousands of dollars and skip the divorce attorney. He'll end up exactly where you would have been in the first place before the two opposing attorneys run their scam and billable hours up.

One version 1.0, I think I dropped something like $15 or $20K in early 2000 bucks and got back to EXACTLY the same spot she and I mapped out on a napkin at Starbucks.

• Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2022

Make one attempt to get to a settlement with the ex- . It's a community property state so assets are split they way they are split - 50/50 for everything during the marriage. Come up with a reasonable parenting plan if kids are involved. Write down the main points. Take it to any competent lawyer to draw up the documents. Sign the papers.

Then save tens of thousands of dollars and skip the divorce attorney. He'll end up exactly where you would have been in the first place before the two opposing attorneys run their scam and billable hours up.

One version 1.0, I think I dropped something like $15 or $20K in early 2000 bucks and got back to EXACTLY the same spot she and I mapped out on a napkin at Starbucks.

Exactly.

Mediation if the split is amicable. You can still part on friendly terms. Best if kids are involved.

Only get an attorney if you know it’s gonna be nasty.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

With a big attorney fight it might be even worse. My ex bro in law turned down a "reasonable" settlement. Spent a year in court, went to binding arbitration and got skull fucked for over 10 years.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,987
    Founders Club
    This situation is over a 20 year old kid whose mother wants him to go to a $75,000 a year private college and wants the dad to pay for it. She is suing him over some sort of "adult support" law. My buddy has been willing to split costs on public in-state tuition, but this isn't good enough for the ex.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

This situation is over a 20 year old kid whose mother wants him to go to a $75,000 a year private college and wants the dad to pay for it. She is suing him over some sort of "adult support" law. My buddy has been willing to split costs on public in-state tuition, but this isn't good enough for the ex.

Tough if the settlement offer isn't reasonable. Especially is a small family business is involved. The actual value is pretty transitory and often largely rests on the personal services of the husband. Then like in this case custody issues arise. $75,000 for Stanford might make sense. $75,000 for Reed College doesn't. Don't know much about "adult support" law in Washington. The actual requirement should be pretty clear if the kids are over 18. Mom sounds crazy. But, the end of a marriage can be pretty emotional for anyone, especially a PMS housewife who doesn't have much of a life after her kids and husband leave.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,915
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

Sounds like college is a human right.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834
    46XiJCAB said:

Dad needs to take the 20 y/o out to lunch and explain life in the real world. Wills and shit like that. Then make the 20 y/o pay for the lunch.

I hear Pullman is very pretty in the fall.

"Kid, I'll agree to pay off at least half your student loan up to $x. After that it's on you and the woman I took from behind to create your damned self. And every dollar that I have to spend on attorney fees will be reduced on my loan pay off offer".

Ts & Ps to your homey, Stalin. Get him on the 90 in 90 days program fucking everything in site so he can move on with his life.

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I have 2 friends who each dropped well over a million. One case lasted 2 years and the other 3. I never understand why the woman would want $500k less when both men were willing to give their ex millions? In each case, the woman was responsible for the divorce. I guess every woman is Bi?
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    USMChawk said:

The secret to private colleges is they have huge endowments and use them to offset the high tuition if you’re smart, talented, or athletic. If you’re not, you pay full rate. If the kid has to pay full rate, then state university is the only reasonable choice. Both my girls chose Pepperdine and I am solidly middle class. They are both A students and have almost full rides. If they didn’t, then they’d be at some State U somewhere.
    Pepperdine, is there a better college campus?
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    USMChawk said:

The secret to private colleges is they have huge endowments and use them to offset the high tuition if you’re smart, talented, or athletic. If you’re not, you pay full rate. If the kid has to pay full rate, then state university is the only reasonable choice. Both my girls chose Pepperdine and I am solidly middle class. They are both A students and have almost full rides. If they didn’t, then they’d be at some State U somewhere.
    USD gave my daughter nothing and she had a 4.0. TBF, we never pushed the issue and asked.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

USMChawk said:

Pepperdine, is there a better college campus?
    It is spectacular. Makes me feel like an idiot for all those times I walked into Kane Hall, soaking wet from the rain.