Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Do WE give Petersen enough shit for...

WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,398
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited June 2022 in Hardcore Husky Board
Being so uncompetitive in the Peach and Rose Bowls against teams that ended up being filled with a lot of busts and JAG at best guys in the league? Also, considering how well some of the Huskies on those teams have panned out.

I'm not saying they should have won either necessarily, especially since Saban/Urban>Pete, but the fact they didn't look like they belonged on the same field as those teams for five quarters of those games should be more damning in hindsight.

I always give the Penn State game a minor pass because defending a crazy generational talent like Barkley was so hard and because I think they at least kind of made a game of that one.

Comments

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,751
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Being so uncompetitive in the Peach and Rose Bowls against teams that ended up being filled with a lot of busts and JAG at best guys in the league? Also, considering how well some of the Huskies on those teams have panned out.

I'm not saying they should have won either necessarily, especially since Saban/Urban>Pete, but the fact they didn't look like they belonged on the same field as those teams for five quarters of those games should be more damning in hindsight.

I always give the Penn State game a minor pass because defending a crazy generational talent like Barkley was so hard and because I think they at least kind of made a game of that one.

In the end, Jen still hires Lake and tanks the program and it’s the same as it ever was.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    haie said:

He was going to lose close against Bama at best. His offensive scheme sucked too much and SC wrote the blue print.

Penn St he should have won. He had Vea and Pettis and it was him alone that shit the bed too hard in the first quarter.

Rose bowl should have been 50/50 or so but he went away from gaskin because he sucks ass on offense. Maybe he should have won that game.

He went 0/3 and was a B+ coach at best in the conference. Fuck him

Pettis was injured and basically didn’t play

Pretty sure Vita was on an effective snap count as he had already decided to leave but wasn’t the bitch like most are and skip the game entirely
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We have had plenty JAG NFL players off those teams too. Not sure where all the pro studs are off those teams. There are really just two. Vita and Baker.

There are a few more solid pros. And there are a few busts. We don’t have a single player that went on to be a true impact guy on offense from the 2016-2018 teams.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I also think we harbor some resentment toward him because he always looked so fucking miserable being a coach while not coming close to winning a NY6
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2022

It was the QB. You can blame Peterman for not upgrading that position for sure. But you need a QB to win those kind of games.

Throughout Jake’s tenure, He enjoyed a defense that gave up 20 or less in most PAC 12 games.

But that Defense wasn’t good enough to hold top 5 teams to that number. And Jake wasn’t up to matching them.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2022
    I don’t know

I’m probably way in the minority here but I remember growing up the entire goal is to win the Pac 10 and go to the Rose Bowl. To me still….everything else is gravy.

It is crazy disappointing to play those upper echelon teams and at times look like we don’t belong. tOSU Rose Bowl was brutal.

Penn State….didn’t “we” have the ball on last possession with a chance to win? Maybe I’m thinking of a different game
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HuskyJW said:

I don’t know

I’m probably way in the minority here but I remember growing up the entire goal is to win the Pac 10 and go to the Rose Bowl. To me still….everything else is gravy.

It is crazy disappointing to play those upper echelon teams and at times look like we don’t belong. tOSU Rose Bowl was brutal.

Penn State….didn’t “we” have the ball on last possession with a chance to win? Maybe I’m thinking of a different game

Chance to tie. We ran the hook and ladder with 15 seconds left and before running out of bounds and stopping the clock with a chance for a hail mary, Pettis threw it backwards to a PSU LB
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2022
    Or the restart of the Oregon streak in 2018. The game management on that final drive in regulation was horrible. Granted, the kicking game wasn't considered bad at that point in time, but still...
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Pete is dead and so is his hot shoot DC. Fuck ‘em
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,398
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

As opposed to what?

Getting railed by Jayden De Laura in the Apple Cup?

Losing to the mother of all JAGs in Marcus Mariota by an average of 25 a game?

I'll take a couple NY6 losses any day given what we've experienced over the bulk of the last 25 years.

This is why I always go back and forth on Petersen. For all of the bad, he's by far the best the program has been allowed post-Don James and there's a good chance he's the last coach to get UW above being a 7-9-win program at best, even in a shit program, till the end of time. He also recruited/developed a bunch of players who are fun to watch in the NFL for a while.

With the big games against blue bloods I think depth was a big difference. The best players from those UW teams could match up with the best from those teams but Bama and Ohio State had either young studs or talented players at least at the seams while UW had guys like Psalm, Bowman, etc, who could be exploited. UW also never had a true star on offense who could take over a game those years.

Or the restart of the Oregon streak in 2018. The game management on that final drive in regulation was horrible. Granted, the kicking game wasn't considered bad at that point in time, but still...

I don't think Petersen gets enough shit for sliding back into the abyss with the Oregon "rivalry." Same could be said for how shitty he was against Cal, Oregon and Stanford overall in the second half of his tenure.

Part of the Oregon shit and 2018 is on Cohen though. You have to tell the conference to fuck off when you see that they're sending you to UCLA the week before and giving Oregon a bye before that game. Legit programs in the Big 10/12 & SEC don't let that shit happen, especially in a year where it was clear momentum in the rivalry was going to be on the line.

If the shit about Oregon and Crisco calling Petersen and his shit racist is true he also sucks for not airing them out publicly and defending himself instead of just slinking away.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

He was going to lose close against Bama at best. His offensive scheme sucked too much and SC wrote the blue print.

Penn St he should have won. He had Vea and Pettis and it was him alone that shit the bed too hard in the first quarter.

Rose bowl should have been 50/50 or so but he went away from gaskin because he sucks ass on offense. Maybe he should have won that game.

He went 0/3 and was a B+ coach at best in the conference. Fuck him

Pettis was injured and basically didn’t play

Pretty sure Vita was on an effective snap count as he had already decided to leave but wasn’t the bitch like most are and skip the game entirely
    They are examples but that team should have won the conference, and should have won that game. They had Dissly and Gaskin (who housed it against them). It was there for the taking and Pete buried himself in the first quarter with dumbass drop back shit.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2022
    HuskyJW said:

I don’t know

Pete needs to be criticized for raising our expectations above his capabilities. Yeah, RB is the goal (without looking like a high school team when you get there).
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2015-18 when he had an opportunity to dominate the conference:

2-2 against Oregon
    2-2 against ASU
    2-2 against Stanford
    2-2 against Cal
    1-1 against USC

That's excusing him for 2014 and not including 2019.

But he took us to the playoffs!!!
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,958
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I also think we harbor some resentment toward him because he always looked so fucking miserable being a coach while not coming close to winning a NY6

The best coaches typically look miserable. As a young doog i always thought don James looked like a stressed out and miserable. So did lambo but he sucked ass.

Saban and urban look miserable and nobody cares. Win the game and it cures everything. Coaching 18-22 year old idiots that mess things up is stressful.
    Swaye's Wigwam

The best coaches typically look miserable. As a young doog i always thought don James looked like a stressed out and miserable. So did lambo but he sucked ass.

Saban and urban look miserable and nobody cares. Win the game and it cures everything. Coaching 18-22 year old idiots that mess things up is stressful.
    Winners are miserable because they're thinking about losing half the time.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Nothing lamer than a college coach who takes a shot at the big time NFL and fucks it up lol. Urban wouldve made a comeback but the nil makes the college game more like the pros.