Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Formula 1 Season Thread

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

dflea said:

Porsche has been absent from F1 for way too long. The McLaren-Porsche TAG turbos of the mid 80's were pretty cool cars - 1.5 liter twin-turbo putting out 1100 hp on the dyno. I'd love to see Porsche back in the mix.

I am a complete Audi/Porsche fanboy. I cannot wait for their return. Porsche did well in the early to mid-80's, then everyone figured it out and they got run out of F1 with their tail between their legs. All the years of big cylinder cars kept them out, but with this new 6 cylinder hybrid requirement, it's their wheelhouse moment. Porsche/Audi can flat develop hybrid 6s, so I am excited to see what they can do, and with whom. I don't know if they plan to go full ground up ownership like Mercedes, or the engine builder route like Honda/RedBull. I secretly hope it's engine builder route and they team with Haas so I can cheer for Gunther and Porsche together. That is boner inducing to me.
    You want Gunther running your favorite marque's F1 team. You are DEFINITELY a Husky fan!...
    It takes years to properly adapt to getting kicked in the balls, but once you get there, it's really all you want. I just love Gunther. I can't help but root for the goofy bastard. Can you imagine Haas good? Would also be great for an American team to finally do something in F1. And they have Schumacher Jr. Yeah, if Porsche/Audi come in Gunther probably gets fired tbh, but it's fun to dream. Reality might be P/A just do their own team from the ground up like Merc and Ferrari. I'm okay with either, but would slightly prefer the engine builder route so they don't get embarrassed for three seasons figuring shit out.
    Not with Gunther running the team!... I love the shit out of that guy, too, but the impression I get from him (and I'll admit that all I know of him is what I've seen on Drive to Survive) is that he's not the brightest F1 team boss, to put it as politely as possible.
    Yeah, he has seemed to me like a bit of a bumbling buffoon, but hysterical. He is basically what would happen if Peter Sellers had ever run an F1 team.

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    In today's sprint race, LeClerc got the jump on Verstappen at the start, but winds up without enough tire to protect himself in the closing laps of the sprint. Max wins the sprint, with LeClerc second, and Perez bringing home 3rd in the other Red Bull.

Magnussen brings home another championship point for Gunther and the Haas team by finishing 8th.

The Ferraris looked pretty good today, and so did the Red Bull cars. Hard saying how pit strategy will come into play in the race tomorrow, but it's going to.
    Verstappen steps right back into the WDC with a strong finish in Italy - bringing him to within 27 points of Charles LeClerc for the lead in the WDC. Perez finished 2nd and Lando Norris 3rd, with LeClerc back in 6th place.

Next up - Miami - May 6-8.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I watch a few laps when it's on and root for Louise Hamilton to come in last
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Watched my first ever complete F1 race today. Got paid to do it, too. Not a bad day.
    After another win in Spain, Verstappen takes the lead in the WDC by four points headed to Monaco for the Grand Prix of Monte Carlo.

Hamilton put in a great effort at the Spanish GP in the Mercedes, who look like they may have sorted some things out with their problematic car.

The Memorial Day weekend is always a great spectacle in motor racing.
  • SDCJRSDCJR Member Posts: 195
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Is there anything more pathetic than a Lewis Hamilton fan that’s in denial?
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    This thread is emblematic of F1 engagement in the DTS era. Lot of sizzle following new season releases followed by dwindling and/or dead engagement from their non-diehard fans (me). It’s an interesting sport…but probably got a COVID bump from lack of other options. Netflix show will continue to numbers because it’s entertaining. I think F1 would benefit from a Manning Bros-type simulcast for certain races for those of us that are interested in becoming a fan of a sport in which 75% of the programming is a foregone conclusion, but didn’t grow up inhaling gas fumes. It’s not too far from a fucking blue angels show, so if they can’t fix that, at least explain to me some of the basics in non-BritishWhisper.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This thread is emblematic of F1 engagement in the DTS era. Lot of sizzle following new season releases followed by dwindling and/or dead engagement from their non-diehard fans (me). It’s an interesting sport…but probably got a COVID bump from lack of other options. Netflix show will continue to numbers because it’s entertaining. I think F1 would benefit from a Manning Bros-type simulcast for certain races for those of us that are interested in becoming a fan of a sport in which 75% of the programming is a foregone conclusion, but didn’t grow up inhaling gas fumes. It’s not too far from a fucking blue angels show, so if they can’t fix that, at least explain to me some of the basics in non-BritishWhisper.

If you know someone who's a die-hard fan, it really helps get you interested. They can get you up to speed quickly. They can also share their steaming account...

Unless a race happens while I'm at work so I can watch it on the clock with said friend, I watch F1 the same way I watch nearly all sports these days: five minute highlight reels on YouTube. Not a bad way to go! I'll never be as into F1 as I am into motorcycle racing, for many reasons. A "close" finish in F1 is ten seconds. This last weekend at Phillip Island, the top 7 to cross the line in the MotoGP race spanned .8 seconds and there were multiple lead changes. World Superbike the last two years has been a full-contact sport and must-watch entertainment thanks mostly to Toprak Razgatliaglu and his giant balls.

Btw, my hawt takes early in this thread aren't in the least embarrassing. Red Bull was doomed...
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

If you know someone who's a die-hard fan, it really helps get you interested. They can get you up to speed quickly. They can also share their steaming account...

Unless a race happens while I'm at work so I can watch it on the clock with said friend, I watch F1 the same way I watch nearly all sports these days: five minute highlight reels on YouTube. Not a bad way to go! I'll never be as into F1 as I am into motorcycle racing, for many reasons. A "close" finish in F1 is ten seconds. This last weekend at Phillip Island, the top 7 to cross the line in the MotoGP race spanned .8 seconds and there were multiple lead changes. World Superbike the last two years has been a full-contact sport and must-watch entertainment thanks mostly to Toprak Razgatliaglu and his giant balls.

Btw, my hawt takes early in this thread aren't in the least embarrassing. Red Bull was doomed...
    I didn’t know I liked racing much until the pandemic and now basically down to watch any Motorsport race. I’m going to check out some MotoGP on YouTube. I watched a MotoGP doc on prime during Covid and can’t recall all the details thanks to the whiskey that evening, but remember being blown away at the topography of the track they were at.

Also read a lot of comments earlier this summer on here on the Shelton race. Wife’s family has a spot not too far away and to say I’m interested in getting a sunburn out there next June is an understatement. Couldn’t make it work this summer but hoping to next, sounded awesome.

I know nothing about F1 as said above but I was fully onboard with a Red Bull meltdown 😂
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    NASCAR was America's motorsport of choice with massive tracks, tons of tv exposure, etc. It's now basically dead and only the diehard rednecks care.

F1 will never take hold here. Indy cars were never really that big, either, outside of the Indy 500 (which nobody cares about anymore, either).

Car culture has been dying for awhile now. Bums me out because cars have always been my biggest hobby but it really isn't the same anymore. People are happy to sit at home and watch YouTube vloggers brag about their exotic cars which are bought and paid for by YouTube clicks.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333

F1 will never take hold here.

What does this mean?

I think there’s been over 50 F1 races in the US and, 2 this year. 3 next year.
    Founders Club

What does this mean?

And yet, NOC. Nobody watches F1.

What does this mean?

And yet, NOC. Nobody watches F1.
    WrongTrump.gif
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 3,996
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    I imagine having 3 permanent races on the calendar might drum up some more interest.
    I thought the racing this year was pretty good. The US races are commanding high ticket prices, and it doesn't look like they're having any trouble selling them, either.

Verstappen did a good job this season. I figured he'd win the WDC. He has to be the favorite next season as well.
    Founders Club
    F1 has been in the US off and on for a century. I personally don't think it catches on much more without some US talent in the field. In the list of sports, motorsports is least popular in the US and overall declining (NASCAR, NHRA, Indy) as car culture dies out. If F1 could grab the majority of those remaining viewers, plus add in some folks as new viewers from the reality show, I guess it could be a niche product here. Biggest problem is probably that the majority of the races are in time zones that don't fit viewing hours in the US. Nobody is going to watch races at 3 am or on tape delay after they see the race result on espn.
    Andretti and Cadillac look like they're going to get an F1 team together.

Can't wait.
    Who ya got in Bahrain?
    Red Bull front row for race 1.