Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Russian Generals dropping like flies

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

War crime update: the scale is unfathomable. Russians never expected to retreat from the occupied areas. Western media holds back the worst of it, and the brutality is everything that was expected and then some. Makes the Yugoslav wars seem like a miniature version with restraint. In the last 24 hours 400+ civilian corpses found just between two liberated suburban towns by Kyiv with a combined prewar population of ~60,000.

Mass graves, people with their hands tied and shot, people hiding in basements blown up with hand grenades or set in fire, children dead from bleeding caused by gang rapes, thousands of women subjected to sexual violence, stomach turning torture, people killed just for fun, civil leaders and officials slaughtered with their families. Old people saying that the German blitzkrieg and occupation was nowhere near this horrific.

Human Rights Watch is fairly mild, but I figure for the gentle American consumer this is more appropriate versus other sources: https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/04/03/ukraine-apparent-war-crimes-russia-controlled-areas

It's almost like the American founders with the 2A had a plan other than being slaughtered and raped.
    I don’t think my guns would help me against a Russian battalion tactical group. With my rifle I could probably take out a fair number of red coats before they could reload their smooth bore muskets for a second volley, but a T-72 tank might be another matter.
    2A Allows you to have a T-72 tank.

HTH.
    If you have one it might not help. Tanks don’t usually battle other tanks. Tanks are more of an attack spearhead type of thing to support infantry, so unless there’s two head on assaults occurring that’s very unlikely. A Russian tactical battalion will have two anti-tank groups for each tank group. So what you’d need to counter that is something more along the lines of an RPG. Or the much more effective and costly guided anti-tank weaponry we see being used now: Javelin (US), NLAW (UK), Stugna (Ukraine). Another effective weapon has been the John Deere tractor.

This is actually a SAM system, but it looks close enough to a tank for most people.

Russians have been running out of fuel, breaking down too far past their lines, or just plain abandoning their shit, from Howitzers to BTRs to this very expensive thing. Ukrainian farmers love them some John Deere.

Anyway, unsurprisingly, you missed the point. 2A isn’t germane to the discussion at hand, so I’m guessing the person who brought that up was just looking for any reason to bring it up - relevance be damned. I wasted time on the current state of tank warfare, might as well if we’re just saying what we feel like. I wish you luck in your pursuit of a T-72, but if that fails and you’re interested in a tank that can bypass NFA as an antique then I’d recommend the 1916 Renault FT. With diesel prices being what they are this thing allows for much more economically efficient war crimes, and can fit in most garages.

I laffed.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,883
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Neither the Ukrainians nor the Russians are telling the truth.

• Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    Putin does not give one fuck about these generals dying. They lied to him about the readiness of their forces and he's making them live with the consequences of their lying. Russians, even back to the Tsar, will throw a STACK of bodies at a conflict and not blink an eye. Watch out for the next wave. The guys who will replace the dead generals will note the consequences before assuming their commands.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Sledog said:

Some on here prefer the rape.

I call it aggressive touching.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

War crime update: the scale is unfathomable. Russians never expected to retreat from the occupied areas. Western media holds back the worst of it, and the brutality is everything that was expected and then some. Makes the Yugoslav wars seem like a miniature version with restraint. In the last 24 hours 400+ civilian corpses found just between two liberated suburban towns by Kyiv with a combined prewar population of ~60,000.

Mass graves, people with their hands tied and shot, people hiding in basements blown up with hand grenades or set in fire, children dead from bleeding caused by gang rapes, thousands of women subjected to sexual violence, stomach turning torture, people killed just for fun, civil leaders and officials slaughtered with their families. Old people saying that the German blitzkrieg and occupation was nowhere near this horrific.

Human Rights Watch is fairly mild, but I figure for the gentle American consumer this is more appropriate versus other sources: https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/04/03/ukraine-apparent-war-crimes-russia-controlled-areas

It's almost like the American founders with the 2A had a plan other than being slaughtered and raped.
    I don’t think my guns would help me against a Russian battalion tactical group. With my rifle I could probably take out a fair number of red coats before they could reload their smooth bore muskets for a second volley, but a T-72 tank might be another matter.

HTH.
    If you have one it might not help. Tanks don’t usually battle other tanks. Tanks are more of an attack spearhead type of thing to support infantry, so unless there’s two head on assaults occurring that’s very unlikely. A Russian tactical battalion will have two anti-tank groups for each tank group. So what you’d need to counter that is something more along the lines of an RPG. Or the much more effective and costly guided anti-tank weaponry we see being used now: Javelin (US), NLAW (UK), Stugna (Ukraine). Another effective weapon has been the John Deere tractor.

This is actually a SAM system, but it looks close enough to a tank for most people.

Russians have been running out of fuel, breaking down too far past their lines, or just plain abandoning their shit, from Howitzers to BTRs to this very expensive thing. Ukrainian farmers love them some John Deere.

Anyway, unsurprisingly, you missed the point. 2A isn’t germane to the discussion at hand, so I’m guessing the person who brought that up was just looking for any reason to bring it up - relevance be damned. I wasted time on the current state of tank warfare, might as well if we’re just saying what we feel like. I wish you luck in your pursuit of a T-72, but if that fails and you’re interested in a tank that can bypass NFA as an antique then I’d recommend the 1916 Renault FT. With diesel prices being what they are this thing allows for much more economically efficient war crimes, and can fit in most garages.

TL;DR
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

HTH.

TL;DR
    Unless you have a spare ATGM laying around a tractor might be your best bet to prevent a tank from raping you.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Tomato tomato
  • Options

If infantry is going house to house rounding up civilians to rape and zip tie and slaughter then a AR-15 would be pretty handy. I'd rather be shot in a fire fight than be raped to death. But that's just me and plenty of other Americans.
    If a band of catalytic converter stealing tweakers has invaded, then yeah. If an elite VDV unit invaded then that doesn’t accomplish much beyond guaranteeing a more torturous death for anyone around you. I’ll agree that it’s better than dying while doing nothing. It just seems that people think they’re Rambo, when the reality is that civilians are basically helpless in this scenario.

Let’s say they killed ~10% of civilians in this town. What do you think would happen if they got to your house and you managed to empty a 30 round magazine into their detachment? The subsequent houses wouldn’t be treated as nicely, is my guess. You got to die on your own terms, in a blaze of glory. Everyone they encounter after you gets automatically slaughtered because they’re not going to risk a repeat. Those are rhetorical questions and something for an ethics class.

I’m named for a great-grandfather who was executed by the Germans for being a partisan. He did what he did knowing the German policy was to kill some number of civilians as retribution for every Nazi soldier killed by the partisans or every act of sabotage. The residents supported the partisans while being aware of the consequences. I’m fucking glad I don’t have to make choices like that.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,862
    edited April 2022

If infantry is going house to house rounding up civilians to rape and zip tie and slaughter then a AR-15 would be pretty handy. I'd rather be shot in a fire fight than be raped to death. But that's just me and plenty of other Americans.
    If a band of catalytic converter stealing tweakers has invaded, then yeah. If an elite VDV unit invaded then that doesn’t accomplish much beyond guaranteeing a more torturous death for anyone around you. I’ll agree that it’s better than dying while doing nothing. It just seems that people think they’re Rambo, when the reality is that civilians are basically helpless in this scenario.

Let’s say they killed ~10% of civilians in this town. What do you think would happen if they got to your house and you managed to empty a 30 round magazine into their detachment? The subsequent houses wouldn’t be treated as nicely, is my guess. You got to die on your own terms, in a blaze of glory. Everyone they encounter after you gets automatically slaughtered because they’re not going to risk a repeat. Those are rhetorical questions and something for an ethics class.

I’m named for a great-grandfather who was executed by the Germans for being a partisan. He did what he did knowing the German policy was to kill some number of civilians as retribution for every Nazi soldier killed by the partisans or every act of sabotage. The residents supported the partisans while being aware of the consequences. I’m fucking glad I don’t have to make choices like that.
    The founders were all well off white guys who didn't have to have a revolution. They risked everything and had large bounties oin their head. Freedom isn't free and it is not won by cowering in corners. The other guy doesn't want to die for his dictator. Make them pay in blood. Sitting around waiting to be rounded up and executed or shipped to a Gulag to be worked and starved to death isn't attractive to me. Remember that a few Jews with guns held the NAZI's out of the Warsaw ghetto for months because the soldiers were afraid of being shot.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

The founders were all well off white guys who didn't have to have a revolution. They risked everything and had large bounties oin their head. Freedom isn't free and it is not won by cowering in corners. The other guy doesn't want to die for his dictator. Make them pay in blood. Sitting around waiting to be rounded up and executed or shipped to a Gulag to be worked and starved to death isn't attractive to me. Remember that a few Jews with guns held the NAZI's out of the Warsaw ghetto for months because the soldiers were afraid of being shot.
    I was going to go with one of usual replies, which are much like my penis; too long for many and not intended for you. Instead I’ll try to be like the underwear I can’t wear, brief. Or to the extent that I can... Let’s just be grateful I’m not picking apart your suboptimal historical analogies or their incorrect details.

You have no idea how you would truly react or behave in any of those situations unless you have been in them previously.

If it helps you to imagine that you’ll fight to the death for your freedom, even in a scenario where you don’t know your freedom or life are in danger, then that’s great. Let’s be thankful we live in a country where that’s unlikely to ever be tested the way that Ukraine is seeing, and have compassion for those that are less fortunate in that regard.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,265
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Struggle snuggles.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,265
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

It doesn't take much training to defensively level the playing field combined with force multipliers like local knowledge of terrain.

Combine that with the numbers game of what it takes to raise offensive spec ops teams vs a reserves militia and things start getting uncomfortably even quickly.

There's a reason even the US lost to a bunch of goat fuckers.

That's not some red dawn Rambo fantasy, it's just the reality that armed populations are hard to oppress.
  • Options

It doesn't take much training to defensively level the playing field combined with force multipliers like local knowledge of terrain.

Combine that with the numbers game of what it takes to raise offensive spec ops teams vs a reserves militia and things start getting uncomfortably even quickly.

There's a reason even the US lost to a bunch of goat fuckers.

That's not some red dawn Rambo fantasy, it's just the reality that armed populations are hard to oppress.
    It just means more playing at home.

• Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,009
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

West Linn tuff. Obviously too pour to live in LO
  • Options
    I hate to besmirch the two twitter accounts that mirror the Russian governments stance on everything. Especially since the one that slips up and uses Russian language syntax every now then was just created last month, but -

A droplet of water on a windshield is not a moving arm: https://mobile.twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1510641101643919368

The other tweet doesn’t have any dead bodies because it’s a different street, in another part of the same town. As seen in the video posted at the link. It’s the English language version, and there are plenty of other dead bodies they do see: https://web.archive.org/web/20220402185448/https://en.lb.ua/news/2022/04/02/12441_special_forces_regiment_safari.html
  • Options
    Founders Club

I hate to besmirch the two twitter accounts that mirror the Russian governments stance on everything. Especially since the one that slips up and uses Russian language syntax every now then was just created last month, but -

A droplet of water on a windshield is not a moving arm: https://mobile.twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1510641101643919368

The other tweet doesn’t have any dead bodies because it’s a different street, in another part of the same town. As seen in the video posted at the link. It’s the English language version, and there are plenty of other dead bodies they do see: https://web.archive.org/web/20220402185448/https://en.lb.ua/news/2022/04/02/12441_special_forces_regiment_safari.html
    I think the broader point is it's hard to figure out what the fuck is going on over there to the casual observer because of all the disinformation campaigns. It would help a great deal if I could read signs and such. I trust the Ukranians more than the Russians but not by much. I like the Ukrainians a whole hell of a lot more than the Russians so I WANT to believe them. I was reading last night that some international organizations on the ground were reporting atrocities, so I assume with pretty decent certainty some seriously bad war crime type shit has gone on.
  • Options
    Neither the Russians nor the Ukraineans are telling the truth. It’s a propaganda war.

And they're both doing bad shit.

We only see what we're allowed to see.