Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I was shocked how much academic research has been done on the subject. A quick look at a few pieces of data shows the following:

1. More people would like to see racial diversity in advertising than those who don’t care or want less. There’s your Madison Avenue motivation, because money. The desire for more diversity in advertising is +3% for whites, +34% Hispanic, +52% black, +38% black. Data from 2020.
    2. Black people and interracial couples are shown at a percentage higher than the population. Hispanics, Asians, and women are shown at a lower rate than proportions would dictate. I have a theory on this.
    3. The stronger someone’s racial identity is the more likely they are to respond positively to advertising showing people of their race.
    4. The most coveted age demographic for advertisers of big ticket items, 35-44, is at +20% for more diversity. While the 18-34 group is at +39%.

I have done about ~20 commercials, if I have the availability it’s definitely worth the time. Even a short add takes the better part of a day to shoot, and you’re compensated very well, and two times SAG minimum is standard. In the last two years I’ve only done two, but it’s me being unavailable as I’ve had to turn down quite a few. I’ve made fun of McDonald’s commercials looking like the UN, but I’ve never noticed over representations of any race specifically. If anything, I’m surprised there aren’t more commercials aimed at Hispanics but simultaneously don’t like it if YouTube has Spanish language commercials.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,024
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Whites are an endangered species on TV. Almost as much so as non mixed race couples.

What the fuck is going on? Weird.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,889
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I was shocked how much academic research has been done on the subject. A quick look at a few pieces of data shows the following:

1. More people would like to see racial diversity in advertising than those who don’t care or want less. There’s your Madison Avenue motivation, because money. The desire for more diversity in advertising is +3% for whites, +34% Hispanic, +52% black, +38% black. Data from 2020.
    2. Black people and interracial couples are shown at a percentage higher than the population. Hispanics, Asians, and women are shown at a lower rate than proportions would dictate. I have a theory on this.
    3. The stronger someone’s racial identity is the more likely they are to respond positively to advertising showing people of their race.
    4. The most coveted age demographic for advertisers of big ticket items, 35-44, is at +20% for more diversity. While the 18-34 group is at +39%.

I have done about ~20 commercials, if I have the availability it’s definitely worth the time. Even a short add takes the better part of a day to shoot, and you’re compensated very well, and two times SAG minimum is standard. In the last two years I’ve only done two, but it’s me being unavailable as I’ve had to turn down quite a few. I’ve made fun of McDonald’s commercials looking like the UN, but I’ve never noticed over representations of any race specifically. If anything, I’m surprised there aren’t more commercials aimed at Hispanics but simultaneously don’t like it if YouTube has Spanish language commercials.

I don't know where they did the research, but I do know commercials are woke cringe garbage.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Any white dude is usually a homo, or silent, or a geek, unless it's on fucking Newsmax or something and they're 75 hawking a questionable big pharm pill, scam reverse mortgages, or gold.

God forbid they bring back funny beer ads or chicks in bikinis. If people really want this, this country is done.

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,015
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

I don't know where they did the research, but I do know commercials are woke cringe garbage.
    I really don't get the TV advertising gig, but then I'm not much of an impulse buyer. I'm not buying a car because I like the Christmas bow on a Lexus. Or a battery because the bunny just keeps on going. Most of my commodity purchases are from Costco or generic brands at the regular grocery store. Occasionally I'll pick up something from Amazon that pops up on a website, like a 2000 amp car battery jumper that was on a lighting deal. I was thinking about getting one and then voila right price.

• Options
    Founders Club
    @MelloDawg with the passive aggressive down votes like clockwork
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,605
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    All commercials suck imo
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    You're such a fucking crybaby, Jill.

You and Sleddy ought to get another white power movement going - you know, because life's such a struggle for a white person these days with the lack of representation in commercials and stuff.

Crying about commercials. lol Do you have to look for things to cry about daily, or are you really so fucking fragile that you actually care about TV commercials?

Grow a fucking pair, Sally.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,276
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I can't do something unless I are someone who looks like me doing it. Then I know it's possible for me to do it.
  • Options
    SwisherSweetboySwisherSweetboy Member Posts: 563
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Jesus Christ. It's ESG in motion. Who fucking cares anyway, let whoever the fuck shill out the stupid products. I have noticed that there is a LOT of really good looking black women in commercials which I like. And good looking black men too. I like them. Where are the Asians? I like them too, not many in commercials though so far. BAD! ESG scores going down...
  • Options

Any white dude is usually a homo, or silent, or a geek, unless it's on fucking Newsmax or something and they're 75 hawking a questionable big pharm pill, scam reverse mortgages, or gold.

God forbid they bring back funny beer ads or chicks in bikinis. If people really want this, this country is done.

You want to see the following from commercials, if I read it correctly, or the country is done:

1. Young white guys who are straight, not mute, and not geeky.
    3. Chicks in bikinis.
    4. Beer ads that are funny.

For the first two I can point you towards some reruns of Baywatch. Not guaranteed that everyone will be heterosexual, it’s a TV show which is basically theater but with a ton of greasy fat guys setting up tracks for cameras and meal breaks every hour.

I personally don’t demand entertainment from my beer. If having entertaining commercials is a must, may I suggest Obolon? It’s very carbonated, light and refreshing with barely any piss flavor, and may not be available much longer due to world events. I can’t vouch for the sexual orientation of everyone in the commercial, especially the guy with the ponytail, but the really big guy has won the World’s Strongest Man competition - which is the least geeky thing I can think of other than burning books or bullying nerds. No one speaks, but I think it’s because they communicate in the manliest way possible - non verbally.

https://youtu.be/cWfkxbxoydA

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Commercials. I haven't watched one of those in ages.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,024
    dflea said:

You're such a fucking crybaby, Jill.

You and Sleddy ought to get another white power movement going - you know, because life's such a struggle for a white person these days with the lack of representation in commercials and stuff.

Crying about commercials. lol Do you have to look for things to cry about daily, or are you really so fucking fragile that you actually care about TV commercials?

Grow a fucking pair, Sally.

Now Stubby I do no such thing. I look at what the population is. I should see a representation of that population on TV etc. Right now I don't and I don't like it when they skew that for their political ends. Hell I even see short people occasionally on TV. Not as many Billy Barty's like you but maybe if you whine about it you'll land a job!
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    What I love are the commericials for alarm and home security companies who always depict the bad guys as white guys with five days of stubble and stocking cap.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

What I love are the commericials for alarm and home security companies who always depict the bad guys as white guys with five days of stubble and stocking cap.

My takeaway from this thread is that “I’m offended that my race is underrepresented in media. When they do show people of my race it is in an inaccurate, cartoonish, stereotyping portrayal as criminals.”

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

My takeaway from this thread is that “I’m offended that my race is underrepresented in media. When they do show people of my race it is in an inaccurate, cartoonish, stereotyping portrayal as criminals.”

It's a commentary on woke corporate pandering. Dumbass.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

That's nowhere my position on this but nice try.

The reality is that Asians, are hardly represented at all on TV. Blacks and gays are over represented especially when it comes to portraying them as professionals. My personal feelings is that if you're looking to the skin color or sexual orientation of people you see on TV to give you validation of your own self-worth in life you're already a loser.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

It's a commentary on woke corporate pandering. Dumbass.
    Really? Thank you for explaining it to me. Very astute observation by you, on that unique observation actually being commentary about race in commercials.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Come to think of it, no redskins on commercials anywhere!