Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

5-star QB's usually suck

2»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,405
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Turned into an interesting thread

This Millen stat was debunked

His stat on Ty after 3 years wasn't although a lot of folks wanted it to be
  • Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I think a lot of you are missing the point, which is that 5* QBs aren’t a sure thing and there are too many people expecting that Huard is going to be Cam Newton simply because he’s a 5*. It doesn’t work that way.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don’t really care, but Huard does suck. Any guy that plays that bad and can’t beat out Morris isn’t great.

I know the response will be about coaching, but it’s also doogish hope to expect him to be any better than above average at his peak.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022
    Good thread but the entire premise is so "thanks captain obvious" that I wonder just how bored Millen is right now.

Nobody GAFabout Huard's star rating. It's the way he throws the football that led to that rating that keeps hope alive.

It's not new news that good prospects fail all the time. I'd say good try, but shit like this is really equivalent to the old man yelling at the cloud meme many of us have posted here. He's trying to make a point in an imaginary argument.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

dnc said:

One of them won a NY6 game.

Have done zero research but this 100% can't be true. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields both won playoff games and they were both top 3 overall in their class (top 2 I believe).

Those guys weren't the 12 directly above Huard. Hugh's numbers were based on #'s 7 - 18. He decided to toss them out because the top 5 guys are generational recruits.
    Lawrence and Fields were absolutely above Huard in both positional ranking and composite scores. As was Can Newton. And Vince Young

Chris Leak was behind him positionally (13 to 12) but ahead of him in composite score which is how 247 compares recruits across multiple classes.

And if Hugh was using a different ranking system he's still not finding one that put Huard above Lawrence and Fields (or Newton or Young).

Brody Croyle also ranked well above Huard and won a NY6 bowl. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

This data is super flawed.

EDIT: I misunderstood you. So he eliminated the guys above Huard who disprove his premise and the guys below Huard (like Tebow, Tua and Winston) who disprove his premise so he could focus on a super narrow set of rankings that supposed to prove something?

W.

JW.

Holy fuck Hugh.
    I guess the analysis was more about the lowest 5*s than all 5*s.
    But that's not it at all. Of the 45 5 star samples in the field, he's dropping the top 6, keeping the next 12 (Huard is 19), and dropping the next 26.

It's an "analysis" of upper middle 5 stars.

Which is far too specific of a sampling to worth anything when the samples directly above and directly below directly contradict the conclusion he wants to provide.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,522
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

Good thread but the entire premise is so "thanks captain obvious" that I wonder just how bored Millen is right now.

Nobody GAFabout Huard's star rating. It's the way he throws the football that led to that rating that keeps hope alive.

It's not new news that good prospects fail all the time. I'd say good try, but shit like this is really equivalent to the old man yelling at the cloud meme many of us have posted here. He's trying to make a point in an imaginary argument.

I pretty much agree, but I do think that he is also attempting to inform Doog Nation that Huard is likely not going to be the savior (or he's just being a bitter asshole). But think about how stupid our fanbase is, led by people like Kimmie who ask how much of a hard-on the head coach has for the players' stars.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I pretty much agree, but I do think that he is also attempting to inform Doog Nation that Huard is likely not going to be the savior (or he's just being a bitter asshole). But think about how stupid our fanbase is, led by people like Kimmie who ask how much of a hard-on the head coach has for the players' stars.
    You're right. I do forget how stupid fans are and doogism is its own thing altogether.

Huard was apparently a project. It's not that surprising. I feel like hope is pretty slim thst hell be good given how bad it was for him last season. Penix is almost certainly going to win the job unless he breaks down in camp. If there is any competition whatsoever between Morris and Huard then we'll know for sure.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,114
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Isn’t this an outdated argument anyway?

You don’t need to hit with your qb croots anymore. The portal renders it mute. Just grab a mercenary off the pile every year and pay him🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    The real "U" had that 5* kid out of Danville who was "can't miss", and miss he did. I now want Miami to avoid 5* QBs because Huge Mellon deductive prowess.

Just giving you shit Bleached. Although this does smack of someone trying too hard to make a point.

In football recruiting, as in life, all any of us can do is make the best decision we can with the information at hand. If a kid has enough visible talent to draw interest from many top-tier programs, and you see it too, and he wants to play for you, then you take him. Fuck the rest of it.

Nobody is going to know how the kid's brain will work at the next level until he drops back and makes decisions at game speed in the actual ... you know, game. Supposably that was the issue with the Swede. That and accuracy. But otherwise, ....
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

FireCohen said:

dnc said:

He is so jealous we took Damon's kid over his.

If you were him, you would be bitter too. Don’t blame him
    I would never name my kid Lettuce so your hypothetical doesn't work.
    Holy shit, I retract my a statement. Who the fuck would name their kid a lettuce
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Probably, but them are the facts.
    They're facts but it's still slanted.

Did he takes the ones higher than Huard because they are the ones more likely to have a better career, or because they are the ones that fit his narrative better?

It would make far more sense to look at all 45 5 stars than a subset of 5 stars. It's already a very small sample, no need to reduce further.
    It’s classic selection bias. If he tried to write a scientific paper based with that data, his editor would laugh him out of the building.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    Standard Supporter
    It's pretty tough to make a prediction on Huard. He was a true frosh who started the last game of the season with an interim OC, a subpar OL, and middling RBs.

DeBoer's offense sure sounds like a better fit for him, the OL should be better, and the RB room is more promising with Aaron Dumas and Emeka Megwa in the fold.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022
    Anyone who knows for sure that Huard is a flameout saw a lot more than I did to make that determination.

Judging any player based on the environment they had to work in last season is a sketchy proposition.

But hey, judge away.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's best for the program if Penix starts while Sam learns the new system.

Fuck a 2015 type season. Fucking win as many games as you can in year 1.
  • Options
    LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323
    Both of Hugh’s kids weren’t P5 worthy.

Baby Huey so far has proven less than Hero status.

Alabama can win with 5 star or 2 star QB

Trevor Lawrence was good in college

Old recruiting rankings somehow sucked ( no way)

Water is wet

Defensive and offensive lines win championships. Convince me otherwise
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    OreDawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Probably, but them are the facts.
    They're facts but it's still slanted.

Did he takes the ones higher than Huard because they are the ones more likely to have a better career, or because they are the ones that fit his narrative better?

It would make far more sense to look at all 45 5 stars than a subset of 5 stars. It's already a very small sample, no need to reduce further.
    It’s classic selection bias. If he tried to write a scientific paper based with that data, his editor would laugh him out of the building.
    It’s interesting because we want it to be interesting
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Same discussion as always when it comes to 5*s.

Instead of talking about the top 30 players I'd be be more interested in comparing players ranked 10-100. Seems like there will always be a handful of real freaks in the top 10 then a next level of your regular elite players that can still suck sometimes.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    QB recruiting is a shit show. Shocking.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kellen Moore couldn't beat out Taylor Tharp as a true freshman. The same Taylor Tharp that lost to Ty.
    As Huard has always been a better Moore comp than Lawrence I'll give it a year.