Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

5-star QB's usually suck

Hugh Millen was talking about 5-star QB hit rates the other day in terms of actually data, not opinion. Let's just say that the odds of Sam Huard being worth a shit or even finishing his degree at UW are slim.

He took the 12 guys rated directly above Huard since 2000 (because the assumption would be that those guys should all be more likely than Huard to have successful careers). Huard is rated 19th overall out of the 45 total 5-star QB's since these ratings began.

This is off of memory, but it was:
- 8 or 9 of the 12 transferred from their original school and none of them ever became more than a middle of the road starter. And this is before the transfer portal so these guys had to actually try to leave.
- One of them won a NY6 game.
- Only five of the twelve won any kind of bowl game.

There were a couple other data points he mentioned that I don't recall, but they all were logical tie-ins to what you would assume a successful college QB would achieve and none of the data sounded good.

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    dnc said:

He is so jealous we took Damon's kid over his.

If you were him, you would be bitter too. Don’t blame him
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    FireCohen said:

dnc said:

If you were him, you would be bitter too. Don’t blame him
    I would never name my kid Lettuce so your hypothetical doesn't work.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,246
    dnc said:

Probably, but them are the facts.

Might as well not even recruit a 5 star

I don't think that's the moral of the story.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    dnc said:

One of them won a NY6 game.

Have done zero research but this 100% can't be true. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields both won playoff games and they were both top 3 overall in their class (top 2 I believe).

Tua as well.

Might as well not even recruit a 5 star

I don't think that's the moral of the story.
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Probably, but them are the facts.
    They're facts but it's still slanted.

Did he takes the ones higher than Huard because they are the ones more likely to have a better career, or because they are the ones that fit his narrative better?

It would make far more sense to look at all 45 5 stars than a subset of 5 stars. It's already a very small sample, no need to reduce further.
    His retort to that was that if the guys rated below Huard weren't successful people would just say "well they're rated lower than him so who cares?" By looking at the guys who were projected as more likely to succeed, and seeing that they did not, it doesn't bode well.

ATBS, it could be that the 12 below Huard all won natties or something and that wouldn't fit his narrative.
    dnc said:

Have done zero research but this 100% can't be true. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields both won playoff games and they were both top 3 overall in their class (top 2 I believe).

Those guys weren't the 12 directly above Huard. Hugh's numbers were based on #'s 7 - 18. He decided to toss them out because the top 5 guys are generational recruits.
    I'm not going back and researching every 5 star QB (or every 5 star QB ranked above Huard) but I'll go through every NC winning QB. 2017 and 2014 get asterisks as the winning QB didn't start the year as the starter so you can figure out how you want to score them. Won't change the conclusions any.

2021 - 2 star
    2020 - 3 star (Saban)
    2019 - 4 star (transfer)
    2018 - 5 star (higher than Huard)
    2017 - 5 star
    2016 - Extremely high 4 star (42 overall)
    2015 - 4 star (Saban)
    2014 - 3 star
    2013 - 5 star
    2012 - 4 star (Saban)
    2011 - 4 star (Saban)
    2010 - 5 star (higher than Huard)
    2009 - 3 star (Saban)
    2008 - 5 star
    2007 - 4 star
    2006 - 5 star (higher than Huard)
    2005 - 5 star (higher than Huard)
    2004 - Extremely high 4 star (58 overall)

Go back any further and the NC winning QB's don't have 247 composite ranking profiles.

So of the 18 NCs, 7 of them were won by the extremely small pool of 5 star QBs including 4 of them with higher rankings than Huard. If we count all 38 five star QBs not listed as those who didn't win NCs (unfair since many of them are still playing) that's 7 out of 45 NC winning five stars, or 15.5% of five star QBs who won NCs.

Good luck getting anything close to that with non five stars.

Either Millen's full of shit (probably) or you are misrepresenting what he said wildly.

Perhaps both.
    dnc said:

I'm not going back and researching every 5 star QB (or every 5 star QB ranked above Huard) but I'll go through every NC winning QB. 2017 and 2014 get asterisks as the winning QB didn't start the year as the starter so you can figure out how you want to score them. Won't change the conclusions any.

2021 - 2 star
    2020 - 3 star (Saban)
    2019 - 4 star (transfer)
    2017 - 5 star
    2015 - 4 star (Saban)
    2014 - 3 star
    2013 - 5 star
    2012 - 4 star (Saban)
    2011 - 4 star (Saban)
    2009 - 3 star (Saban)
    2008 - 5 star
    2007 - 4 star

Go back any further and the NC winning QB's don't have 247 composite ranking profiles.

So of the 18 NCs, 7 of them were won by the extremely small pool of 5 star QBs including 4 of them with higher rankings than Huard. If we count all 38 five star QBs not listed as those who didn't win NCs (unfair since many of them are still playing) that's 7 out of 45 NC winning five stars, or 15.5% of five star QBs who won NCs.

Either Millen's full of shit (probably) or you are misrepresenting what he said wildly.

Perhaps both.

I'm not misrepresenting.

Were the 5-stars who won within the top-6 of the total list of 5-star QB's? If yes (Lawrence, Tua), those guys are not in the 12 directly ahead of Sam.
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Those guys weren't the 12 directly above Huard. Hugh's numbers were based on #'s 7 - 18. He decided to toss them out because the top 5 guys are generational recruits.
    Lawrence and Fields were absolutely above Huard in both positional ranking and composite scores. As was Can Newton. And Vince Young

Chris Leak was behind him positionally (13 to 12) but ahead of him in composite score which is how 247 compares recruits across multiple classes.

And if Hugh was using a different ranking system he's still not finding one that put Huard above Lawrence and Fields (or Newton or Young).

Brody Croyle also ranked well above Huard and won a NY6 bowl. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

This data is super flawed.

EDIT: I misunderstood you. So he eliminated the guys above Huard who disprove his premise and the guys below Huard (like Tebow, Tua and Winston) who disprove his premise so he could focus on a super narrow set of rankings that supposed to prove something?

W.

JW.

Holy fuck Hugh
    Yes

dnc said:

2021 - 2 star
    2020 - 3 star (Saban)
    2019 - 4 star (transfer)
    2017 - 5 star
    2015 - 4 star (Saban)
    2014 - 3 star
    2013 - 5 star
    2012 - 4 star (Saban)
    2011 - 4 star (Saban)
    2009 - 3 star (Saban)
    2008 - 5 star
    2007 - 4 star

Perhaps both.

I'm not misrepresenting.

Were the 5-stars who won within the top-6 of the total list of 5-star QB's? If yes (Lawrence, Tua), those guys are not in the 12 directly ahead of Sam.
    Taking 12 out of 45 five star QBs is such flawed data collection I'm legitimately blown away. Don't recruit 5 star QBs! Unless they're generational. Or unless they're ranked below the 5 star QB we recruited.🤦
    I will say that the context of the conversation was around who the more likely starter will be between Huard and Penix. KJR ran a doog twitter poll and I think a lot more people on there than here believe Huard will be the guy. Hugh was trying to say that history is not kind to those who assume 5-star = star player.

Did he have some other motivation behind cherry picking numbers? Maybe. I don't know enough about his kids, his feelings about UW skipping them, etc.

I will say that the context of the conversation was around who the more likely starter will be between Huard and Penix. KJR ran a doog twitter poll and I think a lot more people on there than here believe Huard will be the guy. Hugh was trying to say that history is not kind to those who assume 5-star = star player.

Did he have some other motivation behind cherry picking numbers? Maybe. I don't know enough about his kids, his feelings about UW skipping them, etc.

If he's simply saying "5 star QBs aren't guaranteed to succeed" then that's an accurate (if obvious) take. Most QBs fail.

I think Penix is more likely the starter based on his experience in the system (and experience in general). I don't trust him to stay healthy though. I imagine we'll see plenty of both QBs this year.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,363 Swaye's Wigwam
    Long story short, don't put your hopes on Huard being a savior for the Huskies. Even if he does live up to his ranking, it will be really hard to be a great QB if the pieces around him aren't there.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,719 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Lawrence and Fields were absolutely above Huard in both positional ranking and composite scores. As was Can Newton. And Vince Young

Chris Leak was behind him positionally (13 to 12) but ahead of him in composite score which is how 247 compares recruits across multiple classes.

And if Hugh was using a different ranking system he's still not finding one that put Huard above Lawrence and Fields (or Newton or Young).

Brody Croyle also ranked well above Huard and won a NY6 bowl. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

This data is super flawed.

EDIT: I misunderstood you. So he eliminated the guys above Huard who disprove his premise and the guys below Huard (like Tebow, Tua and Winston) who disprove his premise so he could focus on a super narrow set of rankings that supposed to prove something?

W.

JW.

Holy fuck Hugh.
    I guess the analysis was more about the lowest 5*s than all 5*s.