Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Kyle Seagar (Seattle Mariners) Announces Retirement

2»

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

Seager is a run producer, and run producers are 1. hard to find and, 2. very expensive. Lot of smoke about Kris Bryant coming here. According to Baseball Reference calculations, they project Seags (if he were to play in 2022) with 27 HR and 84 RBI. Bryant's projecting 21 HR and 62 RBI, with a most recent salary of $19.5mm.

The last few years Seager's BA dropped, but his run production increased. Agree about avoiding the payout, but they are gonna pay (or go without) one way or another. Expecting Toro to replace that production is a big reach, as is anyone replacing it in the immediate for under $20mm+...I've told my players for years, "Talk is cheap; runs are expensive"...

I would stay away from Bryant. It’s not talked about much, but most baseball players are just about done by the time they reach free agency. Most the time the big contracts are a waste.

The new 2B and Toro for much less than Seager is a net win IMO.
    I'm not a fan if signing Bryant to a long, bloated contract for maybe two good years.

I dont know if it's at all possible, but the Ms top targets right now both play for the As in my mind. I'd be fully on board with risking a couple of good prospects and a regular like Toro if it could bring Chapman and Olson from Oakland. That could be a win now move that doesn't kill the farm system or the payroll.

3rd base is the only position they can add someone without disrupting the direction of the roster as I see it. Adding an outfielder creates a log jam in the event that Kelenic and Haniger continue where they left off, Lewis gets healthy, and Rodriguez proves ready.

Olson only costs about $12 mil per for two years and Chapman something like $18 for one iirc and Oakland wants to get rid of them. That's barely more than they would pay someone like Story or Bryant, for way more production, and neither would stand in the way of the young talent on the roster or in the system. Olson and France could platoon DH/1b. It's beautiful.

Spend any remaining free agent money to upgrade depth or just save it. This roster desperately needs more run producers and the two best fits are not free agents.
    Olson would be great. Chapman is good too but the bat is a little too streaky. It’s never too wise to count on young guys but Julio should be a legit bat from day 1. Of the service time aspect changes with the lockout, he needs to be in the lineup opening day. Otherwise, bring him up the first day possible.

I think Kelenic is more of a AAAA player than a quality big leaguer but he will hit 25+ HR’s. The problem is he will probably hit .200 and strike out a ton too.

Mariners have a decent team but they are still the Mariners. A typical Mariners team finishes under .500 after last year’s record. We’ll see.
    I still think Kelenic will exceed your expectations.

Chapman would be a rental. Olson has two years of club control and who knows? Maybe he could be extended?

They aren't quite there but they're still in a position to build both for right now and the long term if they do it right. The key is to not get saddled with any aging has-beens for the long term.
    I think one day Kelenic will be a solid big leaguer. I don’t have high hopes for him in a Mariners uniform. He was really bad last year. .181 over 300+ at bats isn’t a fluke.
    Kelenic had two fifferent seasons. His last month plus was beyond solid for a rookie. .248 and a 39HR pace over 162 games. Almost all of those games were tight with high stakes too.

You may end up right, but his ceiling is light years better than you're saying and he's already flashed it.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    He made adjustments, and probably started to buy in to the mental approach required of an every day MLB player. If he can hit .250-.260 and hit 25+ a year he will be considered a success, imo…
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

He made adjustments, and probably started to buy in to the mental approach required of an every day MLB player. If he can hit .250-.260 and hit 25+ a year he will be considered a success, imo…

Agree but he won’t hit .250.