Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bend man catches possible world record trash fish

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Those are bitch ass perch. Worthless.

Fuck perch.

Perch are imvasive water rodents and live in warm cesspools. Whitefish are rugged, respectably large, and live in cold, swift mountain rivers, side by side and in harmony with those fish you named. The hate makes no sense.

Coho (silvers) are soft fighting, marginally decent eating, and have lockjaw 99% of the time. They're trash fish everywhere south of British Columbia in my book. I wish I never had to see one again. I'd rather go nymphing for whitefish than waste my time targeting them.
    Ironically, the only salmon I've ever caught on a fly rod, was a Coho.

Off the beach in Mukilteo.

The midget fish fucker, clam digger @dflea seems to have them dialed in.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Perch are imvasive water rodents and live in warm cesspools. Whitefish are rugged, respectably large, and live in cold, swift mountain rivers, side by side and in harmony with those fish you named. The hate makes no sense.

Coho (silvers) are soft fighting, marginally decent eating, and have lockjaw 99% of the time. They're trash fish everywhere south of British Columbia in my book. I wish I never had to see one again. I'd rather go nymphing for whitefish than waste my time targeting them.
    Ironically, the only salmon I've ever caught on a fly rod, was a Coho.

Off the beach in Mukilteo.

The midget fish fucker, clam digger @dflea seems to have them dialed in.
    @dflea lives in river rodent central from what I've gathered. Satsop river, no?

I've caught a couple of big males that looked cool, ate OK, but fought like a shoe just like every other coho in the columbia. I was glad. The best ones I've ever seenbor caught were on the peninsula...Queets, John and Soleduck. We used to do a week long slog up there in mid October every year. Camping and clams at Kalaloch and drift boating those three. Nicer coho up there than in the Columbia even when they aren't bigger. They hit better and fight better. Better genetics.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

Fuck perch.

I think chuck's drunk or needs to catch more b-run coho on the peninsula. They aren't soft fighters - well, they can be, but that's not their reputation anywhere I've been. A fresh buck coho is an excellent eating fish, and coho are only lockjawed until the water cools and gets moving, then they destroy anything you put in front of them, with only occasional periods of lockjaw. I've eaten whitefish a number of times - it doesn't compare to saltwater-caught or late-season coho, IMO.

Rugged? You can find coho in every little trickle of a creek way the fuck out in the middle of the woods because they bust their asses up every creek and stream that will hold them.

I'm an oncorhynchus guy. What the hell is a prosopium? Fish with a stupid face?

Fly guys. They just talk crazy sometimes.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

I think chuck's drunk or needs to catch more b-run coho on the peninsula. They aren't soft fighters - well, they can be, but that's not their reputation anywhere I've been. A fresh buck coho is an excellent eating fish, and coho are only lockjawed until the water cools and gets moving, then they destroy anything you put in front of them, with only occasional periods of lockjaw. I've eaten whitefish a number of times - it doesn't compare to saltwater-caught or late-season coho, IMO.

Rugged? You can find coho in every little trickle of a creek way the fuck out in the middle of the woods because they bust their asses up every creek and stream that will hold them.

Note my other post where I granted that the peninsula has some respectable coho. All my scorn really should only be directed at the Columbia.

Coho are pussies about barriers. They go into headwaters areas in low gradient systems. Whities are way up there above them. As far as getting over falls and through rough canyons, coho rank ahead of chum and pinks only. Even big, fat bodied chinook jump and climb better.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Note my other post where I granted that the peninsula has some respectable coho. All my scorn really should only be directed at the Columbia.

Coho are pussies about barriers. They go into headwaters areas in low gradient systems. Whities are way up there above them. As far as getting over falls and through rough canyons, coho rank ahead of chum and pinks only. Even big, fat bodied chinook jump and climb better.
    ISAFNRC
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022
    dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Coho are good to eat. But they are not big dick fish.

I’ve been having the most fun in the past few years catching Kokanee.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022
    I don’t normally agree with ChuckHIV, but he’s right here re:whitefish.

Disagree on that Coho are marginally good eating unless you’re a total fuck up at cooking.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,258
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think the Covid was scrambling @chuck brain for a minute, looks like he recovered nicely with the comments about Coho. I grew up fishing Coho on light gear, wee dick nite spoons on the Snohomish, those fuckers will tear it up. Line burning runs with some aerials and good eating too. I don't mind white fish they are indeed an indicator of a healthy river system, i would never target them, but would never throw them on the bank either
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

The Throbber drinks Kokanee

Fishing is boring.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Kokanee are cool and delicious but that's one I've never tried fishing for. More of an old man pursuit or one for when there are no salmon or steelhead to be had.

So thats what I should be doing with my time now...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Disagree on that Coho are marginally good eating unless you’re a total fuck up at cooking.

You should try it more often. Some of my ideas aren't too bad.

1. Spring chinook
    2. Sockeye
    3. Summer chinook
    4. Summer steelhead
    5. Fall bright chinook
    6. Coho
    7. Pink (only very close to saltwater)
    8. Winter steelhead

I think that's how I'd rank them for eating quality on the columbia. I exaggerated before. A nice fresh coho is still good and maybe should be #5. It just doesn't measure up to the best in my opinion.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

You should try it more often. Some of my ideas aren't too bad.

1. Spring chinook
    2. Sockeye
    3. Summer chinook
    4. Summer steelhead
    5. Fall bright chinook
    6. Coho
    7. Pink (only very close to saltwater)
    8. Winter steelhead

I think that's how I'd rank them for eating quality on the columbia. I exaggerated before. A nice fresh coho is still good and maybe should be #5. It just doesn't measure up to the best in my opinion.
    I’ve always felt like every things is a distant 2nd to good King salmon. Copper River sockeye ain’t shit compared to the best king with all its fatty goodness.

The prime rib of fish.
  • Options
    If we're going to snob out, spring Chinook is the only fish on that list to talk about. They're so far superior to everything else on the list, that the others could be listed together. Except humpies and chums - I just won't talk to people that would eat them.

I used to catch a fair number of springers every year. Now I'm lucky to scratch out a fish or two. I'll eat salmon for days in a row when I catch a springer though, and I don't even like salmon or trout that much.

• Options

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Fishing is boring.

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Kokes - ILTCTK - are tasty little buggers. Where do you do your kokanee fishing?

Kokanee and winter blackmouth are both things I'd like to get dialed in better.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

If we're going to snob out, spring Chinook is the only fish on that list to talk about. They're so far superior to everything else on the list, that the others could be listed together. Except humpies and chums - I just won't talk to people that would eat them.

I used to catch a fair number of springers every year. Now I'm lucky to scratch out a fish or two. I'll eat salmon for days in a row when I catch a springer though, and I don't even like salmon or trout that much.

I haven't caught or eaten a springer in five years.

Summer chinook can be hard to distinguish from springers. They get bigger and can eat about the same. Rare to come by unless you buy from a native though. The Klick has some. They're really just spring/fall hybrids, or sprummers.

I love sockeye too, even in the columbia. It's not greasy like springer but the taste and texture are still amazing.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022
    dflea said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Fishing is boring.

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Kokes - ILTCTK - are tasty little buggers. Where do you do your kokanee fishing?

Kokanee - Yale/Merrwin reservoirs.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022

dflea said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Fishing is boring.

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

dflea said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Fishing is boring.

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Did you give some to @haie ?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022

dflea said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Fishing is boring.

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Ive spent a lot of time on the Lewis above Swift, but not much below at all. I have been to the main spawning trib once when the kokanee were in. That's really cool. There must have been a million of them in there...miniature sockeye in full spawning colors and doing their thing.

Edited because, for some reason, I didn't feel good about naming the creek that they all spawn in. There are shady people here, or, should I say, there are few non-shady people here.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,447
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Fishing is boring.

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

dflea said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Fishing is boring.

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

I'm given more salmon and elk meat than I know what to do with most years.

I guess elk has been bad in WA (disease) so my relatives went to Idaho this year.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Fishing is boring.

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

dflea said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

Fishing is boring.

dflea said:

chuck said:

Fuck perch.

No