Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

guys who drive Subarus

2»

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,628
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

The compact snow and ice on the roads around my house the past few days has been pretty sketchy. First thing in the morning, when it's been cold out and not too many people have ventured out yet, it's been pretty easy to get down the road to where they have the roads plowed and sanded. But in the afternoon, with more fucktards on the roads, that 3-4 mile stretch got to be a big problem.

Yesterday, I was about 5 cars/trucks behind a box van that started spinning out on the ice trying to get up a hill you don't even notice unless it's covered in ice, and then everyone behind him went full retard and started going about 5 mph trying to get up the hill. I could see at least 2 of them weren't going to make it. I was trying to check up on the downhill approach to the hill they were all fucking up, but the buttmunch behind me got all crossed up with his brakes locked and looked like he might slide right into me. So I quick threw it into 4wd, got on the gas, and passed everyone still crossed up on the hill, narrowly missing one guy that looked motivated to spin it out completely, and then slowed back down. 3 miles, 2 minor hills - and almost clipped twice by people that just didn't look like they should be out on roads like that.

I'm ready for this shit to turn back to rain. I can go to the snow if I want it. It doesn't need to come here.

I live two miles up a pretty steep hill. They usually plow the lower mile by mid morning, but either wait another day to do the mile long road I live on or don't do it at all. So, for three straight days I've had to break my own trail through 8-12" of fresh snow.

This morning it was the heavy, wet stuff sitting on top of the packed snow that never melted yesterday. Its treacherous.. Downhill in this shit can be pretty terrifying. Uphill in 4wd is a piece of cake but I really should throw a couple of chains on to get down. I limped part of the way in first gear this morning but still couldn't have stopped if I had to.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AOG said:

TXDawg said:

There were some years that your could get a Subaru with a fully mechanical non-interference engine and a manual transmission that never died. Buddy of mine put something like 400k on his. It was built like a brick shithouse. After that, they went the way of Europeans and have expensive maintenance at regular intervals.

In the last four years, I know of only three people who have faced major, expensive auto repairs. The first was me, with a Honda Odyssey that needed it's engine rebuilt three times and both axles replaced by 70K. Now, I have two friends that are/were looking at $9K repair bills: A 2014 F150 Ecoboost that needed a complete timing rebuild and both turbos replaced, and a 2017 Fusion Energi that needs a new transmission (he's since found an independent shop that'll throw in a reman for $5K).

Honda, Ford, Ford. (And the only reason I got my F150 for $3500 was that the engine was blown at 140K miles, like thousands upon thousands of other 3-valve Ford modulars of that vintage.) My BMW was far cheaper and more reliable by comparison. I think it's a crapshoot these days. Everything is built incredibly precisely, so it's just a matter of whether there's a design flaw.

As for Subarus, the the VRI up at Western consulted on the cylinder head design when they went to DOHC 4-valve heads. The boxer design has challenges with oiling and whatnot, but both they and Porsche have been making it work for a while. I test drove an Outback a bit over a decade ago when looking for a wagon, and I was shocked that any car of that vintage would actually struggle to get up a steep hill, but it was the 4-cylinder with the CVT, so maybe that's just too weak of a combo for the weight it carries.
    What the fucking fuck??? Hey, change your oil or something
    Or, you know, don't buy poorly designed vehicles. Wish I would have known. Honda knew they fucked over thousands. They still refused to take responsibility and issue a recall. They were sued, lost, and had to extend the warranty to people whose engines met the symptoms of the TSB.

Thing is, it was all on me. Had I not plugged in a code reader, taken the codes to the forums, and found out there was a lawsuit and TSB, I would have been out of pocket for all of it due to being just out of warranty (39K) at the time of the first rebuild (re-ring three cylinders and reprogram the ECU). The dealer had no idea there even was a TSB and was going to bill for it all until I printed out the TSB and handed it to them. It was right about then that first one CV, then the other, started knocking when turning at slow speed. Dealer said they'd just watch it until the next major service.

At 70K, the engine started throwing codes again. Troubleshooting went as far as remote realtime monitoring from Torrance. Even they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They were going to replace the cylinder heads (what I wanted), then, at the last minute, they found the problem! One of the VTEC oil piston springs was slightly out of spec! $20 part was going to fix the whole problem!

I said, "This van said 22/28 mpg on the window sticker. We've been averaging 17 over the its lifetime. Parts wear on parts. You mean to tell me you're going to replace that $20 spring and everything's going to be magically durable? I want new cylinder heads."

Nope. Spring goes in, they replaced both axles while they were at it, and (three weeks after dropping it off) my wife goes to pick up the van ("we drove it all weekend, and it's all good as new!" they said). She calls me on the way home to say that it sounds funny, but she's not sure. I ask her to rev the engine and tell me if the sound follows the engine revs or follows the wheel speed. She can't tell, so I figure I'll just have a look when she gets home. She pulls into the driveway, I can already hear there's a huge problem from inside the house. Immediately get back in the van, drive it back to the dealer, park it right up against the service office door so the ruckus really echoes around, leave it "idling" and walk in to the counter. "Hey guys, thanks for the free diesel upgrade!"

Confused, the service manager opens the door and immediately yells, "OH MY GOD, SHUT IT OFF! SHUT IT OFF!"

I'm not exaggerating that it sounded like a diesel. I don't know how they drove it for three days and didn't catch that. But back into the shop for another two weeks it went. This time, the magical $20 part they found was a single valve rocker that was bent a little. It was going to be good as new again after that rocker was replaced!"

"Fuck you guys, take this POS back."

They wouldn't. American Honda even refused to make me a fair deal on a trade-up. When I questioned their shortsightedness on this, the rep in Torrance told me VERY smugly, "Oh, I think Honda's reputation will be juuuuust fine."

So fuck them. I'm done.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    digits said:

I learned how to drive in the snow in Idaho when I was a kid, it's not that hard. The shit you see on the roads when it snows in the Puget Sound region is truly mind-boggling.

Pretty sure there are less Asian in Idaho
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,628
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Update...two more feet plus overnight. JFC I hate winter. I live here to not get this shit.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022
    I have an Audi Q7 with 200k on it. Had to replace some normal things. Rocker arms, shocks, water pump…but whatever. It might go another 200k. Interior is still like new.

I think Subarus are reliable and last a long time. That’s what I’ve been led to believe.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have an Audi Q7 with 200k on it. Had to replace some normal things. Rocker arms, shocks, water pump…but whatever. It might go another 200k. Interior is still like new.

I think Subarus are reliable and last a long time. That’s what I’ve been led to believe.

I said rocker arm, meant suspension control arm. Duh!