Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Defensive Scheme

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,107
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

chuck said:

LawDawg1 said:

chuck said:

Houhusky said:

doogville said:

Will never understand Kwat hitching his wagon to Sark. Dude could have gone to any number of big-time programs.

Perplexing to say the least.

Simple. Jimmy is/was that bad.

Imagine doing all the work for your your subordinate only for him to get promoted to equal "co-DC" and then get a massive HC bag when you know he doesnt know shit, hasn't learned shit, and never did any of the actual work. I dont blame him.
    Same feeling here. I have to admit that Kwat probably made the best choice. He damaged his reputation but that will fade and he made a fuck ton if money doing it. He got away from Jimmy which must've felt like the most important thing to him.

I dont know that I'd want him back. His success was with Petersen as HC. Pete's assistants, for the most part, overperform.
    Say again?
    His assistants are better under him than they do without him. Jonathan Smith is the only example I can think of that doesn't fit.
    Same with James. We chased his assistants for a decade or more

Gilby was the exception then as an assistant not head coach. Could always coach the O line
    Pinkel was the exception, and Mora Sr if you want to go back that far
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

LawDawg1 said:

chuck said:

Houhusky said:

doogville said:

Will never understand Kwat hitching his wagon to Sark. Dude could have gone to any number of big-time programs.

Imagine doing all the work for your your subordinate only for him to get promoted to equal "co-DC" and then get a massive HC bag when you know he doesnt know shit, hasn't learned shit, and never did any of the actual work. I dont blame him.
    Same feeling here. I have to admit that Kwat probably made the best choice. He damaged his reputation but that will fade and he made a fuck ton if money doing it. He got away from Jimmy which must've felt like the most important thing to him.

I dont know that I'd want him back. His success was with Petersen as HC. Pete's assistants, for the most part, overperform.
    Say again?
    His assistants are better under him than they do without him. Jonathan Smith is the only example I can think of that doesn't fit.

Gilby was the exception then as an assistant not head coach. Could always coach the O line
    Yes sir. But I was thinking assistants
  • Options
    CH0PwarlordCH0Pwarlord Member Posts: 224
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    DeBoer wanted Nevada’s DC but he chose Cuogs according to football scoop. Apparently both schools will now run the 4-2-5
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

DeBoer wanted Nevada’s DC but he chose Cuogs according to football scoop. Apparently both schools will now run the 4-2-5

Losing out to Nevada's defensive coordinator is always special. Seriously though, WTF? Not a good sign, if true.
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    digits said:

Losing out to Nevada's defensive coordinator is always special. Seriously though, WTF? Not a good sign, if true.
    Maybe he didn’t want to share DC duties with Donte. Or maybe he just likes the rolling hills of the Palouse
  • Options
    OreDawg said:

digits said:

Maybe he didn’t want to share DC duties with Donte. Or maybe he just likes the rolling hills of the Palouse
    Article seems to indicate he will have more autonomy at Cuog and less of an already established staff.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,987
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Why wouldn’t he just bring his dc vs hiring Nevada’s?I don’t even think Nevada was good on defense. Maybe I am wrong.
  • Options
    digits said:

Why wouldn’t he just bring his dc vs hiring Nevada’s?I don’t even think Nevada was good on defense. Maybe I am wrong.

Football Scoop must've had bad info. or some shit because they have since removed any mention of UW interest.
    It also said some weird shit about DeBoer and Nevada’s DC being best friends or something.

• Options
    PasadenaHuskyFanPasadenaHuskyFan Member Posts: 611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

You mean BYU? Because WSU doesn't have a defensive coordinator listed on their website. Their DC was just promoted to head coach.
  • Options
    PasadenaHuskyFanPasadenaHuskyFan Member Posts: 611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Here is the scoop on Nevada's DC Brian Ward:

"A veteran defensive coach who has worked at all levels of college football, Brian Ward enters his second season as the Wolf Pack's defensive coordinator in 2021 Ward will also undertake his first season coaching Nevada's defensive tackles after overseeing the linebacker corps in 2020.

Five members of the Wolf Pack defense earned All-Mountain West recognition in 2020, linebacker Lawson Hall being named to the Second Team. Also named to the Second Team were defensive linemen Sam Hammond and Dom Peterson, while defensive backs Berdale Robins and Tyson Williams were each voted All-Mountain West Honorable Mention.

Hall paced the Wolf Pack defense in tackles (65) and tackles-for-loss (8.5), while also racking up 3.0 sacks. As a unit, the Nevada defense ranked 36th in the FBS in rushing defense (138.1 yards per game), and averaged 2.56 sacks per game. The Pack's defensive showing was highlighted by a standout effort at the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, in which it recorded eight sacks and intercepted three passes in the 38-27 victory over Tulane.

Ward comes to Nevada after a four-year stint at Syracuse with the Orange, where he coached two-time All-ACC selection and current Indianapolis Colts linebacker Zaire Franklin. He was hired as defensive coordinator in 2016 and added the role of linebackers coach in 2017. The rise of the Syracuse defense played a large role in the Orange’s win over No. 2 Clemson in 2017 and its 10-3 season in 2018 where the Orange finished the year ranked 14th in the nation and defeated No. 15 West Virginia in the 2018 Camping World Bowl.

Ward’s defenses at Syracuse were nationally relevant, including back-to-back seasons (2017 and 2018) in which the Orange led the nation in turnovers forced in 2018, forced more turnovers in 2017 and 2018 than any other FBS team in the nation, and finished in the top 15 in third-down defense. Syracuse was also top-six nationally in 2018 in turnovers gained, interceptions, fumbles recovered and sacks, while also setting the school record for sacks. He helped develop a quintet of players into All-Atlantic Coast Conference selections during his time with the Orange.

Before joining the Orange, Ward served as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for Bowling Green in 2015. He oversaw a defense that improved in several statistical categories from the previous year and featured two All-MAC selections at linebacker, including first-team honoree Austin Valdez. Ward also served as Bowling Green’s head coach for the 2015 GoDaddy Bowl versus Georgia Southern.

Ward was a nominee for the Broyles Award – given to the nation’s top assistant coach – in 2017 at Syracuse and he was one of three FBS finalists for Linebackers Coach of the Year from FootballScoop.com in 2015 while at Bowling Green.

Ward’s defensive improvements were a major factor in Bowling Green winning the 2015 Mid-American Conference (MAC) title. The Falcons surrendered 4.6 fewer points and nearly 76 yards less of total offense per game than they did in 2014. In addition, Bowling Green moved up the NCAA statistical rankings in passing defense (up 44 spots), rushing defense (up 20 spots), scoring defense (from 106 to 84) and total defense (from 115 to 86). Bowling Green finished 13th nationally in turnovers gained (27) and eighth in interceptions (20). Valdez was the leader of the unit, racking up 144 tackles and ranking 10th in the FBS in tackles per game (10.3).

From 2012-14, Ward was the defensive coordinator at Western Illinois where he molded the Leathernecks into one of the top defenses in FCS football. Ward’s 2013 unit ranked seventh in the nation in total defense (305.3 ypg) and third nationally in passing defense (149.0 ypg). The next year, the Leathernecks put on one of the most impressive defensive displays of the season against Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon. Western Illinois held the Heisman Trophy finalist to 38 yards on 17 carries (2.2 yards per carry).

Before joining Western Illinois, Ward was the defensive coordinator at Drake in 2011 where he helped the Bulldogs to a 9-2 record and the Pioneer Football League championship.

Ward’s other previous coaching stops include: McPherson College (1997, 2007-09), Glendale Community College (1999-2000), Wabash College (2001-04), Missouri Southern State (2005) and North Dakota State (2010). He spent the 2006 season as the defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Tulsa Union High School in Oklahoma.

A 1997 graduate of McPherson College, Ward served as the head coach of his alma mater for three seasons from 2007-09, compiling a 17-14 (.548) record. In his final season, he led the Bulldogs to a 9-2 mark, the program’s first berth in the NAIA national playoffs, and was named CollegeFanz.com Sports Network NAIA Coach of the Year. During his head-coaching tenure, the Bulldogs boasted seven All-Americans, two Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC) Players of the Year, seven NAIA Scholar-Athletes and 39 All-KCAC selections.

Ward holds a bachelor’s degree in history from McPherson and a master’s degree in organizational management from the University of Phoenix. He is married to the former Amy Brandseth. The couple has three children – Travis, Ellie and Erin.

The File on Brian Ward
    Born: May 22, 1973
    Hometown: Glendale, Ariz.
    Family: Wife – Amy; Daughters – Ellie, Erin; Son – Travis
    Education: Bachelor's, McPherson College, 1997

Coaching Experience
    2020-present: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Nevada
    2016-19: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Syracuse
    2015: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Bowling Green
    2012-14: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Western Illinois
    2011: Defensive Coordinator/LBs, Drake
    2010: Assistant Coach/DBs, North Dakota State
    2007-09: Head Coach, McPherson College
    2006: Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Tulsa (Okla.) Union HS
    2005: Asst. Head Coach/Co-Defensive Coordinator/Special Teams Coordinator/LBs, Missouri Southern State
    2001-04: Asst. Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator/Secondary, Wabash College
    1999-2000: Defensive Coordinator/Secondary, Glendale CC
    1997: Defensive Coordinator/Special Teams Coordinator, McPherson College

Playing Experience
    McPherson College (1994-96)"

Nevada did beat CAL this year.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

chuck said:

LawDawg1 said:

chuck said:

Houhusky said:

doogville said:

Say again?

USC is finally done with the Pete Carroll tree.
  • Options
    BonedogBonedog Member Posts: 650
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I gives a damn what defense DeBoner runs! Just Asa in the portal
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Why would he go from Syracuse to Nevada for the same job titles/duties?
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I have heard Lake pushed out Kwat, said there wasn't room for him after the 2020 season.

And I agree, I was sick of seeing the 2-4-5 in too many situations when the down and distance didn't call for it.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

I have heard Lake pushed out Kwat, said there wasn't room for him after the 2020 season.

And I agree, I was sick of seeing the 2-4-5 in too many situations when the down and distance didn't call for it.

So why do the exact same shitty defense after pushing him out then?