Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jake Haener

Comments

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,101
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Prepare your asshole

• Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

UW was only a functioning scheme and QB away from 1 or 2 losses last year. It's not a rebuild.

The team went 4-8, will have back-to-back mediocre recruiting classes, and a decent amount of talent leave the program; it's a rebuild.
    We'll pull as much talent out of the portal as we lose into it.
    100000% agree it's a rebuild. Swiss cheese has less holes in it than this roster.

WSU put on tape if you want to make it a 30-40 minute game instead of winning by 10 in the end how to throw on UW defense who won't have their 3 best corners, but will have all our safeties (minus Cook) back.

Disagree on ever pulling meaningful amount of talent out of the portal. The guys who are talented and playing don't enter it.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2021
    This whole year was coaching malpractice. Plenty of talent on the roster and depth issues can be supplemented by the portal anyways.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

UW was only a functioning scheme and QB away from 1 or 2 losses last year. It's not a rebuild.

The team went 4-8, will have back-to-back mediocre recruiting classes, and a decent amount of talent leave the program; it's a rebuild.
    Covid eligibility actually helped UW a lot during this transition in keeping the roster stuffed. Plus the 2021 class ranked #3 in the Pac-12 in terms of average rating of recruits and though the current 2022 class only has 9 commits, it is actually a little higher in terms of average rating.

There aren't many starters moving on and I suspect we won't see many players hit the portal because they will be enjoying a better staff than they previously would have had. In other words, I don't see any starters hitting the portal except for maybe Jalen McMillan. Hopefully Bynum comes back and Kyler Gordon comes back (McDuffie gone).

https://ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/washington/92453

So the worst I see DeBoer doing next year is 7-5 (losses to Michigan at home, ASU on the road, Oregon on the road, UCLA on the road, and WSU on the road). That is a decent first year and primed for a big jump in his 2nd year, just like he had at Fresno State and Sioux Falls.

And he just said "reloading" in his kick-ass presser so that settles it ;)
    That big jump in 2023 includes getting SC and Utah back on schedule replacing CU and one of the Arizona Schools I believe.

Right at the time the two shitty/undersized classes should become the backbone of your team.

Brakes = Pump

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

It's not like we are contending next year, so why not start building with Sam? And worst case, what if Sam leaves?

Haener would have 1 year, he wouldn’t be coming over with 3 years of eligibility left. I doubt Huard leaves because of that and if he does well fuck him then.

Not contending? So we should just throw the season away and not try to get a better draft pick? I’m confused.
    If Jake Haener can't win the Mountain West, how in the world do you expect him to win the Pac-12? The whole point of hiring him was that he can develop talent. Well then develop, Sam, that's why you were brought here.
    Pac 12 was .500 vs Mountain West this year. 16-24 since 2016 and 13-12 against them in bowl games. Let’s not pretend like the Pac 12 is a juggernaut conference in comparison.
    I'm not saying that at all, but I'm being realistic about where Washington stands in terms of talent. I don't think we are talented as we seem and that this needs to be torn down and rebuilt back up with a culture change which takes time.
    Can do both at the same time … the beauty of the portal

Also the last 2 classes while below standards combined basically equate to one class in size … the COVID eligibility rules are going to make things interesting for the next few years
    Most good transfer portal players go to the top programs. For every Bookie, Washington will get three Matins and Giles Jackson's.
    You could not be more right on the transfer portal and ratio of hits to misses: 3 to 1 is average across board
  • Options
    HuskyHalfBrainHuskyHalfBrain Member Posts: 1,160

So if Huard doesn't want to compete then fuck him he can leave

We'll bring back the guy that didn't want to compete and left

HRYK
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

godawgst said:

dnc said:

100000% agree it's a rebuild. Swiss cheese has less holes in it than this roster.

WSU put on tape if you want to make it a 30-40 minute game instead of winning by 10 in the end how to throw on UW defense who won't have their 3 best corners, but will have all our safeties (minus Cook) back.

Disagree on ever pulling meaningful amount of talent out of the portal. The guys who are talented and playing don't enter it.
    Jameson Williams and Kenneth Walker are All Americans and maybe even Heisman Finalists, but still.

There are tons of impact starters that were in the portal. Catch up my man.
    Cropper is going to put up numbers here
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,416
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    godawgst said:

dnc said:

Hi!

• Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

It's not like we are contending next year, so why not start building with Sam? And worst case, what if Sam leaves?

Sam sucks. Sorry, but if he was any good at all he would have beat out Morris. If he leaves we get a QB that is actually good.
    Haener left rather than compete. Fuck him
    Why not bring over the entire Fresno roster and almost beat Oregon, again?
    I was just kidding.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Sam sucks. Sorry, but if he was any good at all he would have beat out Morris. If he leaves we get a QB that is actually good.
    I was just kidding.
    We’re not. we are going to give the kids a standing O when they lose by 7 in Autzen.
  • Options
    FSDogs1FSDogs1 Member Posts: 33
    5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

I was just kidding.
    We’re not. we are going to give the kids a standing O when they lose by 7 in Autzen.
    Wait until that season ends... Benedict Arnold will jump ship for a B10 job.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    FSDogs1 said:

I was just kidding.
    Wouldn’t blame him. That would be on the AD which is very possible.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FSDogs1 said:

I was just kidding.
    Thats the one risk of starting low

He leaves in the middle of the night with no chance to match
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club

Pretty sure Haener would have to come in as a grad transfer? You can't just switch teams twice.

He would which means he would have to be accepted into a graduate program which isn't a guarantee
    Sir, I would like to introduce you to the Foster School of Business, where we make football players entrepreneurs for life.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,987
    Founders Club

He did compete. I'll bet anything that he outperformed Eason in fall camp. And Pete still gave the job to Eason in the 11th hour. I don't blame Haener at all for leaving. And by the way, he competed his ass off this season to the tune of 3,810 yards and 32 TDs / 9 ints.
    If he beat him he'd win the job

I hate Petersen but not as much as many of you

I'm surprised
    You used to tout coaches choosing the wrong QB all the time. You love to argue but you have no consistency and are arguing simply to argue.

Haener is better than we have. He knows the offense. Whoever said they would rather have Rattler, I agree, but it’s close. Haener coming back would not be a bad thing.
    Petersen chose skinny. Wasn't forced by Dennis or anyone else. Right or wrong.

There's a dozen qbs at least that will transfer

The Haener love is bizarre but we're a mountain west school now and the fans love it

I've never changed my tune on Haener
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,987
    Founders Club
    FSDogs1 said:

Well you've decapitated our program.

I have no problem with DeBoer poaching Haener. But Haener entering the transfer portal BEFORE our bowl game strikes me as incredibly selfish.

It's a shitty move. I don't like it.