Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jake Haener

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

It's not like we are contending next year, so why not start building with Sam? And worst case, what if Sam leaves?

Haener would have 1 year, he wouldn’t be coming over with 3 years of eligibility left. I doubt Huard leaves because of that and if he does well fuck him then.

Not contending? So we should just throw the season away and not try to get a better draft pick? I’m confused.
    If Jake Haener can't win the Mountain West, how in the world do you expect him to win the Pac-12? The whole point of hiring him was that he can develop talent. Well then develop, Sam, that's why you were brought here.
    This is dumb. If they don’t lay a dud against Hawaii they would have won the MWC. The reason to take him is that he is better than what we have.
    But you're going to get a few of that dud games from Haener that's just who he is. He's going to have a few of those games where he just throws a bunch of picks.
    How many pics did Huard and hid dad throw?

His Uncle beat him by 1 and is still the Apple Cup title holder for INT’s in a game. If they only counted extra pt INT’s, He could have joined his Uncle on the podium.

Maybe next year.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think @RaceBannon has the same philosophy on next year's starting QB as he does with the coaching search/hire: UW should have gone after Bryce Young in the portal, not Jack fucking Haener!

I think once a guy quits on you he's a quitter

Not that complicated

God forbid we did use the portal to get a great QB

WE CAN'T
    Oh I was just kidding on this one. My brain is telling me that it's better for Washington if Haener comes back. My left testicle is threatening to detach and run away if I agree, though. I'm on record that--far more than the playoffs, NIL, TV contracts--the transfer portal has ruined college football. I think it makes things fair for the players, and I'm happy they have it. I still hate it, particularly when used by a player who used it to leave to come back. If the constant traffic in the transfer portal in general isn't enough to convince you that players these days have zero loyalty to your program of choice, having a player transfer out and back in should rub it right in your face.

If you're a "win at all cost/hire Urban or Tosh/fuck OKG" kind of guy, you should embrace Haener transferring back; he's better than what we think we have and costs nothing if he ends up not being so. I'm a pussy "win the right way" guysm, though, so I fucking hate it.
  • Options
    MontlakeBridgeTrollMontlakeBridgeTroll Member Posts: 920
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited November 2021

I love Sonics but his take here is off. Haener is way better than Huard right now and we take him in a heartbeat.

Sonics also wasn’t a fan of DeBoner initially but has since come around. The same will happen with Haener and he’ll warm up to it.

If Sam portals because he had to sit out one year learning the system then good riddance

UW has a ton of soft players who think they are stars. If some transfer, good. Culture change.
    I agree

So enough of the hot Haener talk
    You’re showing your age. Old man.

Also go bears

Quitters never win. Winners never quit

That will never be old

Transferring isn't quitting.

And he sure looked like a winner when Fresno beat UCLA.

Looked more like a winner than Eason ever looked for us after he "quit" Georgia to come here.
    Sounds like you agree with me

If that was your takeaway you should adjust your dementia medication old man.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

Morris is hitting the portal so as of now we're going into spring ball with Sam and Stratton. We need to bring at least 1 portal QB anyways so why not bring a guy who is familiar with DeBoer's system? A lot of ppl here complained about Browning getting the job handed to him in 2015 but now we don't want Sam to have to compete? I want Haener back and I want Sam to beat him out straight up.

Yep.

I'm disappointed this is even a debate. Hmmm should we add a breakout star QB who plays in the literal exact offense we're installing hmmmm. Win the fucking games. Give Sam the opportunity to beat him out. Haener got a raw deal here too btw, I don't blame him for transferring. I still think that was a huge reason why Pete walked.

I actually agree with this take. Pete knew Haener was better but started the hometown savior anyways because WaShInGtOn2.0 fever had grown out of control.

I get what Race is saying, but if you beat someone on the field and are passed over anyways, fuck you i'm out.

Haener walked and proved it was a mistake to go with Eason. Not so coincidently the culture eroded that season and here we are.

Bring him back, if Sam wins the battle he'll be excellent, if Sam stays and learns he'll be better prepared, If Sam transfers? where the fuck does he go that's a better position and starting immediately?

It also doesn't hurt that Deboer can point to Haener as successfully developing a portal QB. He has a built in pitch for the next guy to come around. If not Haener i'm reaching out to some big guns.
    Why wouldn't Pete start Haener if he was better? Nobody told Pete who to play

If Sam quits I'd say the same thing

If he gets a better situation he should leave. You just don't come back

How to you build a culture of toughness when you're first act is to let a quitter come back? That's as bad as coddling Sam
    Yes and no. If you don't start Eason that year then DDY and the rest of the fanbase would have charged the office. Remember how nervous and angry the local media was getting when Eason wasn't named starter and they battled throughout camp?

Ultimately you're right, Pete could have played whomever, but I think he succumbed to the pressure of playing the hometown 5 star big dick gun slinger and went against his principles. Guarantee it kills him and he regrets it.

Not a defense for Pete, in many ways a knock, so fuck Pete for whimpering out and not sticking to his guns and making the hard decision he's paid for. But from Haener's perspective, if you truly believed you were better, proved it during the battle, and got told to fuck off in favor of the chosen one, you're immediately hitting the portal.
    I'm always in favor of ripping Pete but the idea of Pete giving a shit about DDY and his merry band storming the offices made me laugh out loud.

I think Eason was better. When he was good he was very good. There were structural issues that led to 8-5 and Eason played his roll. But we agree that Pete was the head big dick in charge

I have no issue with Haener quitting. The portal is very fair to players who think they can do better elsewhere. They should

Haener would have sucked here this year. No question. He made the right move

Now live with it

Hurts stayed at OU after being demoted and helped get a ring there. The OU transfers and Fields all won the conference and lost in the playoffs. Its a good system all the way around. I hope UW uses the fuck out of it
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

It's not like we are contending next year, so why not start building with Sam? And worst case, what if Sam leaves?

Haener would have 1 year, he wouldn’t be coming over with 3 years of eligibility left. I doubt Huard leaves because of that and if he does well fuck him then.

Not contending? So we should just throw the season away and not try to get a better draft pick? I’m confused.
    If Jake Haener can't win the Mountain West, how in the world do you expect him to win the Pac-12? The whole point of hiring him was that he can develop talent. Well then develop, Sam, that's why you were brought here.
    Pac 12 was .500 vs Mountain West this year. 16-24 since 2016 and 13-12 against them in bowl games. Let’s not pretend like the Pac 12 is a juggernaut conference in comparison.
    I'm not saying that at all, but I'm being realistic about where Washington stands in terms of talent. I don't think we are talented as we seem and that this needs to be torn down and rebuilt back up with a culture change which takes time.
    As far as a culture change goes I want players to think they have to come in and compete, not just given the red carpet treatment coming out of high school because of their recruiting ranking. It’s 2021 and I get that the QB position is different especially with the portal and if Sam had played this year and looked pretty good I could see your argument a bit better. But he wasn’t able to beat out Morris who likes to regularly throw into triple coverage and looked TERRIBLE in his first start. Yes the team gave up and played a part but he didn’t do anything well that game, at all. He shouldn’t automatically be handed the starting job if competition is brought in.

And again it’s one season IF it happens and if Huard isn’t willing to sit and learn for one more season behind a QB who has had success in this current offense then that says a lot about him and his mentality.
    Jake Haener couldn't beat out Jake Browning and Jacob Eason.
    I actually do think he’s a better college QB than Eason. Again, Huard threw 4 picks and couldn’t beat out Dylan fucking Morris.
    Players get better

Sam has gotten a raw deal development wise with a COVID year plus the malpractice of a staff he played for this year

The book hasn’t even started to be written about his future as a college football player
    This is all true, but the signs aren’t good. We’ll know once he gets some better coaching. Most, not all but most, really good players, play well no matter what.

It was a broken offense. I’m not unequivocally saying he’s gonna be a busy, but most QB’s are, and the early returns are really bad.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think @RaceBannon has the same philosophy on next year's starting QB as he does with the coaching search/hire: UW should have gone after Bryce Young in the portal, not Jack fucking Haener!

I think once a guy quits on you he's a quitter

Not that complicated

God forbid we did use the portal to get a great QB

WE CAN'T
    Oh I was just kidding on this one. My brain is telling me that it's better for Washington if Haener comes back. My left testicle is threatening to detach and run away if I agree, though. I'm on record that--far more than the playoffs, NIL, TV contracts--the transfer portal has ruined college football. I think it makes things fair for the players, and I'm happy they have it. I still hate it, particularly when used by a player who used it to leave to come back. If the constant traffic in the transfer portal in general isn't enough to convince you that players these days have zero loyalty to your program of choice, having a player transfer out and back in should rub it right in your face.

If you're a "win at all cost/hire Urban or Tosh/fuck OKG" kind of guy, you should embrace Haener transferring back; he's better than what we think we have and costs nothing if he ends up not being so. I'm a pussy "win the right way" guysm, though, so I fucking hate it.
    Haener and win at all costs don't belong in the same sentence

I'm all in favor of using the portal to get a QB whether Sam is good or he sucks.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I love Sonics but his take here is off. Haener is way better than Huard right now and we take him in a heartbeat.

Sonics also wasn’t a fan of DeBoner initially but has since come around. The same will happen with Haener and he’ll warm up to it.

If Sam portals because he had to sit out one year learning the system then good riddance

UW has a ton of soft players who think they are stars. If some transfer, good. Culture change.
    I agree

Also go bears

That will never be old

Looked more like a winner than Eason ever looked for us after he "quit" Georgia to come here.

You don't like quitters. Neither do I

No one takes them back. No one

If UW wants a QB why in the hell would they look to a guy who already walked? Its a big ocean out there with lots of quarterbacks. Some of who have had nice careers at the second or third stop

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I agree

Also go bears

That will never be old

If UW wants a QB why in the hell would they look to a guy who already walked? Its a big ocean out there with lots of quarterbacks. Some of who have had nice careers at the second or third stop

Because this one has played and excelled for your new coach in your new system.

If this was about taking Jacob Sirmon back I'd agree with you 100%. But Haener has a ton of built in advantages that don't have anything to do with what school he signed with out of HS.
  • Options
    LongDukDongLongDukDong Member Posts: 1,210
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

I agree

Also go bears

That will never be old

No. Your take is horrendous. Haener is so much better than anything we have. Stop going out on a limb with this weak take
  • Options
    LongDukDongLongDukDong Member Posts: 1,210
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    edited November 2021
    I thought oly bears were smart? Stop making us look bad
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I agree

Also go bears

That will never be old

No. Your take is horrendous. Haener is so much better than anything we have. Stop going out on a limb with this weak take

I thought oly bears were smart? Stop making us look bad

Check out a mirror

Sark is better than Ty

We can do better than both

Small minds small time program small results

Same as it ever was

You all probably believe your girl when she says she only cheated once because you're desperate to get laid

Shop around a bit guys

Our Savior Haener

• Options
    fouchpotatofouchpotato Member Posts: 53
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

Pac 12 was .500 vs Mountain West this year. 16-24 since 2016 and 13-12 against them in bowl games. Let’s not pretend like the Pac 12 is a juggernaut conference in comparison.
    I'm not saying that at all, but I'm being realistic about where Washington stands in terms of talent. I don't think we are talented as we seem and that this needs to be torn down and rebuilt back up with a culture change which takes time.
    As far as a culture change goes I want players to think they have to come in and compete, not just given the red carpet treatment coming out of high school because of their recruiting ranking. It’s 2021 and I get that the QB position is different especially with the portal and if Sam had played this year and looked pretty good I could see your argument a bit better. But he wasn’t able to beat out Morris who likes to regularly throw into triple coverage and looked TERRIBLE in his first start. Yes the team gave up and played a part but he didn’t do anything well that game, at all. He shouldn’t automatically be handed the starting job if competition is brought in.

And again it’s one season IF it happens and if Huard isn’t willing to sit and learn for one more season behind a QB who has had success in this current offense then that says a lot about him and his mentality.
    Jake Haener couldn't beat out Jake Browning and Jacob Eason.
    I actually do think he’s a better college QB than Eason. Again, Huard threw 4 picks and couldn’t beat out Dylan fucking Morris.
    Players get better

Sam has gotten a raw deal development wise with a COVID year plus the malpractice of a staff he played for this year

The book hasn’t even started to be written about his future as a college football player
    This is all true, but the signs aren’t good. We’ll know once he gets some better coaching. Most, not all but most, really good players, play well no matter what.

It was a broken offense. I’m not unequivocally saying he’s gonna be a busy, but most QB’s are, and the early returns are really bad.
    I think most running backs and receivers are good right away, this is why I never had any faith in Cam Davis or the Osborne/Spiker hype train.

quarterbacks not so much unless they are super elite Trevor Lawrence/Bryce Young types.

Like you said, most five star quarterbacks end up flaming out, just like most coaching hires, but I don't think you can say he's a bust given the situation this season. Don't think he'll be great, still a chance he could be better than average.
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,012

I agree

Also go bears

That will never be old

LOL at the idea that Heaner is a quitter

https://youtu.be/Ew4-p605xZ4
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 786
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    edited November 2021
    Can he run? No matter who the next QB is they need to be able to run. Pro-style offense in college football is a joke unless you play for a P5 team with elite talent.
  • Options
    coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The greatest service the university can now do is request the graduate school to deny his admission
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I agree

Also go bears

That will never be old

You would have said no to lebron rejoining the cavs. Haener is LBJ. I said it.
    Pressing beyond pressing

• Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,012
    RTD said:

Can he run? No matter who the next QB is they need to be able to run. Pro-style offense in college football is a joke unless you play for a P5 team with elite talent.

Watch the linked highlights above and you'll get the answer to your question.