Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Donte Williams on Twitter

Comments

• Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

chuck said:

Interesting.

I dont want him at UW. I'd rather have good coaches who realize that being great recruiters is now part of their job too. It's not hard, in fact it's way, way easier than being a great coach.

He’s probably one of the top 5-6 recruiters in the country. Get him.
    SC recruiting hasn’t been anything special the last two years and Oregon’s recruiting hasn’t dropped since he left.
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    He left Oregon to be closer to his family in SoCal. Believe one his parents has bad health. Maybe he gets the Fresno job.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,983
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2021
    Seadawg said:

We aint doing jack without guys like him. Sign him yesterday and look for a top recruiting DC.

Coordinators are not big recruiters most of the time. It’s dudes that know scheme and have their shit together and many times Are burnouts from the recruiting trail.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

chuck said:

Interesting.

I dont want him at UW. I'd rather have good coaches who realize that being great recruiters is now part of their job too. It's not hard, in fact it's way, way easier than being a great coach.

SC recruiting hasn’t been anything special the last two years and Oregon’s recruiting hasn’t dropped since he left.
    SC had the 7th ranked class in 2021 and was 64th in 2020. When was he hired at USC relative to the 2020 signing periods?
  • Options

chuck said:

Interesting.

He got Domani. He got Korey Foreman. He got Mykel Williams. He’s a great recruiter.
    I’m not here to bash The Daunt but, two of those kids live about an hour from SC.

Pretty much minimum requirements, that said, in a difficult situation.

• Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    I believe the recruiting services rank him as one of the top recruiters in the conference this year. For the 2021 class he was #1 in the PAC12 and #3 in the country.
  • Options
    dOgmaster said:

I believe the recruiting services rank him as one of the top recruiters in the conference this year. For the 2021 class he was #1 in the PAC12 and #3 in the country.

Yeah but still…
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited November 2021
    chuck said:

Interesting.

If that were true, everybody would be good at it. And everybody is not good at it, while EVERYBODY knows it's important. I'm not sure there are any coaches in the country who need to be forced into that realization.

The ones who aren't good it also don't like it. Maybe they're not good at it because they don't like it, or don't like it because they're not good at it.

Either way, there is nothing easy about it. It takes a lot of work and and ability to sell.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Interesting.

If that were true, everybody would be good at it. And everybody is not good at it, while EVERYBODY knows it's important. I'm not sure there are any coaches in the country who need to be forced into that realization.

The ones who aren't good it also don't like it. Maybe they're not good at it because they don't like it, or don't like it because they're not good at it.

Either way, there is nothing easy about it. It takes a lot of work and and ability to sell.

The Ines who take it seriously enough to work hard at it are good at it. It's hard to put in the work, I suppose.
  • Options

chuck said:

Interesting.

That's because Crisco is still there and teaches seminars in how to do it. Donte is a great recruiter in his own right.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

chuck said:

Interesting.

Disagree with the bolded.

Yes you want the best coaches possible who are great in every area, but elite recruiting is an intangible skill that very few people have. It's ultra-competitive sales.

Turnover rates at high-commission jobs are insanely high for a reason, the best and brightest on paper can't fucking hack it. I'm ok with having a hired gun on staff who specializes in this area, particularly early on when you still need to sell the vision.

Ideally, once the train gets rolling the program will start recruiting itself more.
    I question whether this ever really happens quite the way we imagine it does. Yes, once things get going the product being sold takes on more shine. But it's always competitive and somebody else always has something shiny to sell and 98% of recruits are open to more than one option. I say you always need it. You can only do so much with scheme and development.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    tvoie said:

The people shooting down Williams as a stud recruiter are silly! UW absolutely needs someone like him.

I'm not shooting him down as a stud recruiter. I'm questioning whether he's a good enough coach. I'm not of the opinion that you can sacrifice player development at UW for ace recruiting. It didn't work when Tosh was here.

There are guys out there who can do both. I dont believe you can have any guys in staff excused from recruiting. They should all be in to it and good at it. Same goes for coaching and development though.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Tosh was under Sark. It doesn't matter if you’re under a shit head coach.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    Time to bake a cake
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited November 2021
    Doogles said:

chuck said:

Interesting.

Disagree with the bolded.

Yes you want the best coaches possible who are great in every area, but elite recruiting is an intangible skill that very few people have. It's ultra-competitive sales.

Turnover rates at high-commission jobs are insanely high for a reason, the best and brightest on paper can't fucking hack it. I'm ok with having a hired gun on staff who specializes in this area, particularly early on when you still need to sell the vision.

Ideally, once the train gets rolling the program will start recruiting itself more.
    THIS

Recruiting is a different skill set all together. Being a great coach has a lot to do with schematics, development, making quick adjustments, timing, personnel management, analytics, etc. While recruiting is mostly about selling and being a social badass, which for some people is nearly impossible. Some coaches are great at one and not the other. Could you see Bill Belichick being a big time recruiter? Of course not, but he'd hire them.

You ideally want both. A great coach can get the most out of his players, but those players might not have a high ceiling because of the lack of recruiting. On the other hand, a bad coach might recruit well, but have underperforming blue chips. They most likely won't suck because the talent makes them have much higher floors. But in the end, both situations are not ideal.