Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jimmy Lake's Name Popping Up On Wish List For Some Pac 12 Teams As DC...

SI https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/fired-not-quite-a-week-lakes-name-pops-up-for-job-opening

Fired Not Quite a Week, Lake's Name Pops Up for Job Opening

Former Husky coach placed on wish list for Pac-12 defensive-coordinator opening.

The Arizona Wildcats need a new defensive coordinator after their current guy, Don Brown, who's known as "Dr. Blitz," on Monday was hired as the head coach at Massachusetts.

A wish list of defensive coordinator candidates popped up almost immediately and no one should have been all that surprised by the first name thrown out there — Jimmy Lake.

While he's been fired as the University of Washington head coach for all of nine days for mismanaging his program in Montlake, Lake still is considered a sound defensive coach, especially in putting together a secondary.

Lake, 44, shouldn't have any trouble at all in finding work on someone else's college or NFL staff, though it might be a while before he's considered head-coaching material again.

He might even be motivated to remain in the Pac-12 and remind people that he was once this rising star in the conference.

As for Arizona, this idea is not all that far-fetched. Longtime UW basketball coach Lorenzo Romar made Tucson his first stop after he got fired in 2017 and he used the Wildcats to mend his reputation and return to the head-coaching ranks at Pepperdine.

At the same time, joining the Wildcats football staff might prove a little awkward for Lake. When he replaced Chris Petersen as the Husky coach two years ago, he fired tight-ends coach Jordan Paopao, who coaches in the same role at Arizona.

Lake and Ed Orgeron, who is fired and coaching out the string at LSU, were listed as big-name candidates to pursue.

Others with UW ties who were suggested as possible Arizona DC targets were Donte Williams, currently USC's interim coach and a one-time Husky graduate assistant; and Tosh Lopoi, former UW assistant coach now the defensive-line coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Urban Meyer.

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,527
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Hopefully the new Husky Staff looks at Donte Williams and Tosh Lopoi to bring back. Both are ELITE recruiters.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

Hopefully the new Husky Staff looks at Donte Williams and Tosh Lopoi to bring back. Both are ELITE recruiters.

I would say there is no chance, but Tosh did marry into Northwest ties.

Just get good coaches and recruiters. Tosh and Donte are far from the only ones. Not sure Donte can coach at all either.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

HFNY said:

Just get good coaches and recruiters. Tosh and Donte are far from the only ones. Not sure Donte can coach at all either.
    I doubt the AD wants to bring back a coach that was under investigation for paying a croot.
  • Options

Can’t wait to AZ in 2 high safety struggling to stop the run

This is so different from what they ran this year. It would be a weird hire.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

HFNY said:

I doubt the AD wants to bring back a coach that was under investigation for paying a croot.
    Kim is adamant there's 0 chance Tosh ever coaches at UW again. Too bad cause he married into the Pelleur family and probably would love to be back in Seattle.
  • Options
    OneNippleOneNipple Member Posts: 179
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

HFNY said:

He was ahead of the times......
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,998
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

HFNY said:

Kim is adamant there's 0 chance Tosh ever coaches at UW again. Too bad cause he married into the Pelleur family and probably would love to be back in Seattle.

New UW Coach announced Monday. Tosh announced as staff member on Tuesday confirmed.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

HFNY said:

New UW Coach announced Monday. Tosh announced as staff member on Tuesday confirmed.
    What connections does Tosh have to Tedford and Pete
  • Options

HFNY said:

What connections does Tosh have to Tedford and Pete
    Is this a serious question? He was Tedford’s D-line coach at Cal for a few years, before Sark hired him away.
  • Options
    coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Riley has never seen 2 high safeties against the run!
  • Options
    ChillyDawgChillyDawg Member Posts: 1,469
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

It's sad how much brain damage Reffett is suffering from.
    It does make a little bit of sense. I don't know what type of relationship Riley has with Lake if any but Lake is a solid DC just not a solid HC. And Lake knows the Pac 12 inside out. Jimmy would have to be willing to give up a lot of money though. I don't think that he will make close to 10 million as the USC DC. Lake may or may not want to get back right back into coaching at the college level he could have NFL aspirations as well. Time will tell.

• Options

Riley has never seen 2 high safeties against the run!

They went hard after kwat to be their dc at Oklahoma at one point. I could see it.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,031
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    gonna guess if jimmy coaches again (in between rounds of golf) he tries to get a nfl position job.

pretty clear he doesnt like to recruit.