Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Apple Cup Memory?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,217
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
We've all got them. Favorite games, favorite moments in the parking lot, favorite moments in the stands. Here are a few of mine.

Don James' first Apple Cup, 1975. Huskies trailed 27-14 with 3:00 left. The Cuogs had the ball on the UW 7-yard line. WSU coach Jim Sweeney was beign urged by his players to score again and rub the Huskies' faces in it. So Cuog QB threw the ball, and it was picked off by Al Burleson and returned 93 yards for the TD.

UW kicked off and held WSU to a three-and-out. Huskies got the ball back. Warren Moon dropped back to pass in the rain, and threw a deep ball to Spider Gaines. The ball was tipped by a Cuog defender, and into the arms of Gaines, who galloped the rest of the way for the 73-yard scoring toss. UW won 28-27. (Note: I was four years old and did not attend this game, but started going to games the following year).

Marques Tuiasosopo leading UW past the Cuogs 24-14 in 1999. Paul Arnold had a 90-yard TD run in the downpour, back when we thought he was going to be the next Billy Sims. The next season, Tui led UW to the Rose Bowl Championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do9-xvoJg2Y

3 OTs... and the Dawgs knock off Top 5 Cuog

Corey Williams is engulfed by teammate Khalif Barnes, after catching the game-winning pass from Cody Pickett in the 2003 Apple Cup. The Huskies had trailed 19-14 in the fourth quarter, but this TD followed by the pick 6 by the late Marquise Cooper, sealed the deal on the 27-19 win. As Cooper crossed the goal line, I happened to be standing behind the end zone next to Jim Lambright. I grabbed him and gave a big bear hug. He just turned and glared at me with his piercing blue-eyed stare. I let go and said with a grin, "Sorry coach!"

Myles MF Gaskin goes off in the Pullman snow as the UW running back is named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week. The Dawgs won this 2018 Apple Cup for the ages. My friendly acquaintance Jim Moore later penned, "I paid $600 for four tickets, lost $170 in three bets with Husky fans, froze my rear end off for nearly four hours, then spent three hours on snowy and icy US 95 during a white-knuckle, 85-mile drive from Moscow to Couer d'Alene, drenched to the bone.

"... I did not enjoy it."

So, what are some of your favorite Apple Cup memories?

Comments

• Options
    Mad_Son said:

pawz said:

1) 1990 I'm in 6th grade and one of my 2 dads takes me to Pullme and the Apple Cup. First, he didn't want to walk around the Student line to get in the Field house, so he took me through the student line decked in P&G. One of the cuog fathful let me know I was personally #1.

I go into the stadium early and someone calls in a bomb threat. PA announcer instructs everyone already in the stadium to look under their seats and if they see anything suspicious to stand up and raise their hands over their heads. The entire student sections stands and raises their hands up. The PA announcer "this is not a joke"

Lastly at Martin Stadium for players to get to the field from the locker room they had to cross the concourse in plain view of all. At the half, I stopped Mark Brunnel and get an autograph. That he stopped for 11 yo me is me and signed my ticket stub is a moment I will never forget.

2) Picket to C Williams. Sheer pandemonium in the stadium. Indelible moment..

3) In Pullme with the 2000 Rose Bowel team. Cold. As. Fuck. Up 4 or 5 scores at the half, peace out bitches. Apparently a WSU player felt the same and packed up his locker at the half, never to return. I seem to recall @dnc will know that famous WSU player's name who should be enshrined with a statue at Montlake.

I know Derek already listed this game, but this specific play always stands out to me. I will never forget how that felt.
    I remember, in that moment, hoping Corey would be the next Reggie. Sadly, he never panned out that way.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Mad_Son said:

pawz said:

1) 1990 I'm in 6th grade and one of my 2 dads takes me to Pullme and the Apple Cup. First, he didn't want to walk around the Student line to get in the Field house, so he took me through the student line decked in P&G. One of the cuog fathful let me know I was personally #1.

I go into the stadium early and someone calls in a bomb threat. PA announcer instructs everyone already in the stadium to look under their seats and if they see anything suspicious to stand up and raise their hands over their heads. The entire student sections stands and raises their hands up. The PA announcer "this is not a joke"

Lastly at Martin Stadium for players to get to the field from the locker room they had to cross the concourse in plain view of all. At the half, I stopped Mark Brunnel and get an autograph. That he stopped for 11 yo me is me and signed my ticket stub is a moment I will never forget.

2) Picket to C Williams. Sheer pandemonium in the stadium. Indelible moment..

3) In Pullme with the 2000 Rose Bowel team. Cold. As. Fuck. Up 4 or 5 scores at the half, peace out bitches. Apparently a WSU player felt the same and packed up his locker at the half, never to return. I seem to recall @dnc will know that famous WSU player's name who should be enshrined with a statue at Montlake.

I know Derek already listed this game, but this specific play always stands out to me. I will never forget how that felt.
    I remember, in that moment, hoping Corey would be the next Reggie. Sadly, he never panned out that way.
    Another James Johnson
  • Options
    GaearGrimsrudGaearGrimsrud Member Posts: 82
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Photogenic
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

My Dad still talks about 1975. He stayed until the end while many had already left to the bar. When he got to the bar to meet up afterwards his buddies thought he was making it all up

Which dad?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,564
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021
    2016 it was around 28-0 in the 2nd quarter.

Next morning on shitty local Pac 12 show Gesser was throwing a tantrum claiming Colorado was going to beat us down in P12CG while Cam Cleeland was laughing right next to him. Lot of unintentional comedy on that show which had a chucklefuck from each of the 4 schools every week.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Two come immediately to mind, my first was the 1991 game. My first attended game ever. I got a free 100 years of Husky football poster which I still have to this day. Our Dwags destroyed the Coug and roses covered the field. Amazing. Two, I happened to get AC tickets to the Pickett to Williams game. Being of age for that one I was quite drunk. I remember wandering around the stadium because I'd lost my seats. I came out of a random tunnel and started partying with a small portion of the band that had popped up on my side of the field, shared a shot of my flask with a drummer and trumpet player and then celebrated with and hugged a gaggle strangers that I didn't come with or sit with all because I was too drunk to find wherever the fuck I was sitting when the pass was completed. Unreal.

Aside: Does the Husky band still send out pockets of the band to play in different sections? Used to love that as a kid.

i forgot about that. it was great. that was Bill Bissell. perhaps @MelloDawg can provide some inside baseball
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Marquis Cooper #88 bringing back the INT. Husky Stadium was shaking as hard as ever.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Helped rush the field in Pullman….twice

Jumping up and down with Patrick Reddick…him yelling at people on the goalposts. “TEAR THAT MOTHERFU**ER DOWN!”

Getting SWAT lined up and getting me off the field was fun too a few years later
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Corey Williams touchdown at the 2003 Apple cup. I was 10, It was my first Apple cup. My dad and I have been to a lot of awesome football games and Apple cups together since but that game kicked off my Husky fandom and is part of the reason I went to Uw for undergrad.
  • Options
    CougzzCougzz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 279
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Although my Cougs lost the ‘89 AC in Seattle I was thoroughly entertained when police maced UW students rushing the field. ‘We’ had a lousy team and lost by a ton, but the post-game cops v. kids scrimmage was heart-warming.
  • Options
    bluechipuwrecruitsbluechipuwrecruits Member Posts: 394
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    2016 and 2018 clinching the pac 12 north was fun.