Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Wilbur Hooks on Coaching Changes and The Husky Way

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302 Swaye's Wigwam
edited August 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
imageWilbur Hooks on Coaching Changes and The Husky Way

The former UW wide receiver recalls the coaching change from his era, and how it helped alter the team's culture.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Cal is higher than the Rick Neuheisel coaching tree
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Great stuff, Derek. Really good insights from Wilbur!
  • Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    I have a #7 jersey signed by Mr. Hooks.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,254 Founders Club
    Meh. This is just classic confirmation bias. It's telling because we want it to be telling. But these exact comments are made by players every single time there's a regime change. Sometimes they're telling, sometimes they're not. Time will tell.

Either way it will be interesting.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,632 Founders Club
    edited August 2014
    Wait, I thought you were a Doog if you criticized Rick?!?!?!?! He won a Rose Bowl!!!!!!!!!

I think he hit it right on the head. The second half of that 2001 season was the turning point. If there was a pinpoint, it was the Oregon State game.

In the 2002 and 2003 seasons, I remember thinking the team seemed really ordinary. They struggled with weak teams for a half or even a game, or they lost to them, & elite/some good teams just annihilated us. It felt wrong. I never dreamed they would only win 20 percent of the games over the next five years or whatever the hell it was, but that two to three year period definitely was the precursor.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,055 Standard Supporter
    When you UW lost 55-7 to Nebraska the Cornhuskers still gave us a classy ovation because those guys were bleeding purple and gold and had feces in their throat.
    And when they went to Notre Dame with one of the more talented UW teams and lost 54-20, you could tell that the golden domers respected UW because they were Lambo Tuff.
    And when Rick Neuheisel lead the buffs to an ass kicking performance over UW in the holiday bowl, you could still tell who the tougher team was.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,055 Standard Supporter
    edited August 2014
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
  • Rick proved to be a sub parr coach but hiring him was ballsy by babs
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320

The OSU game in 2001 was the death knell. We were soft, inconsistent, mentally weak and a bunch of pussies. Everyone knew it if they were paying attention. Rick should've been fired after '02.

Doogs blame Rick for Gilby & Ty's struggles... I don't. I blame Rick for being a pussy, pansy POS and making us soft.

The thing was, we needed some fun after Lambo had sucked the life out of the players.

It was pretty easy to understand. Lambo had made kids TUFFFFFFFFF, but sucked the interest and enjoyment out of football. Rick was all of that. While he had the TUFFFFFNESS we did great. Once that was gone, we sucked because he was a pussy, ultimately.

The end.

You need a coach who lets people enjoy things (see '91; in contrast, see punishing DeSaussure for saying shitty things about the Cougs), but also makes them tough.

Rick showed what he had.

However, Gilby and Ty's years... those are on Gilby and Ty. Rick didn't do irreparable harm. Both Gilby and Ty were fucksticks.

or UCLA and Miami, and Michigan in 02, etc. Just physically outmatched or else outcoached.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986

The OSU game in 2001 was the death knell. We were soft, inconsistent, mentally weak and a bunch of pussies. Everyone knew it if they were paying attention. Rick should've been fired after '02.

Doogs blame Rick for Gilby & Ty's struggles... I don't. I blame Rick for being a pussy, pansy POS and making us soft.

The thing was, we needed some fun after Lambo had sucked the life out of the players.

It was pretty easy to understand. Lambo had made kids TUFFFFFFFFF, but sucked the interest and enjoyment out of football. Rick was all of that. While he had the TUFFFFFNESS we did great. Once that was gone, we sucked because he was a pussy, ultimately.

The end.

You need a coach who lets people enjoy things (see '91; in contrast, see punishing DeSaussure for saying shitty things about the Cougs), but also makes them tough.

Rick showed what he had.

However, Gilby and Ty's years... those are on Gilby and Ty. Rick didn't do irreparable harm. Both Gilby and Ty were fucksticks.

A fucking chick (Hi, Seattle!) fired Lambo, hired Rick, and Title IX'd us into oblivion.

Whether you agree with the coaching changes or not is a very small piece of the story.

Simple fact
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club
    edited August 2014
    CaptainPJ said:

The end.

Rick showed what he had.

A fucking dick (Gerberding) fired the original OKG AD, hired a fucking chick (Hi, Seattle!), who then ran off Don James, promoted and then fired Lambo, hired and fired Rick, promoted Gilby, and Title IX'd us into oblivion.

Whether you agree with the coaching changes or not they are is a very small piece of the story.

Simple fact

Crisped
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

Those players were soft under Lambo too. They got their ass kicked plenty. They got Lambo fired for partying before losing bad in the Hawaii bowl to Air Force.

Just a bunch of excuses. Babs was right to fire Lambo. The problem wasn't that she fired Rick it was when she fired Rick and then letting Gilby take over.

Searching for some link to a non existent Husky Way was really stupid. That's what led to Ty. Then swing the other way to Sark. Swing back to Petermen.

If Petermen can coach which I think he can its a mute point irregardless. If he can't we'll swing back to a loose Sark Rick type. Its what losing programs do.

There was nothing right about firing Lambo Race. (Except maybe the shade of purple and no metallic on the helmets). Lambo would have won the rosebowl, prolly 2 with Tui.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

Those players were soft under Lambo too. They got their ass kicked plenty. They got Lambo fired for partying before losing bad in the Hawaii bowl to Air Force.

Just a bunch of excuses. Babs was right to fire Lambo. The problem wasn't that she fired Rick it was when she fired Rick and then letting Gilby take over.

Searching for some link to a non existent Husky Way was really stupid. That's what led to Ty. Then swing the other way to Sark. Swing back to Petermen.

If Petermen can coach which I think he can its a mute point irregardless. If he can't we'll swing back to a loose Sark Rick type. Its what losing programs do.

There was nothing right about firing Lambo Race. (Except maybe the shade of purple and no metallic on the helmets). Lambo would have won the rosebowl, prolly 2 with Tui.
    uh