Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Future of the DL (long)

Months ago when asked by Softy about recruiting worries, Petros scoffed and mentioned that Petersen built an SEC-like DL at Boise with no big time recruits. We know that the DL will be a strength this year but the future looks very strong as well. Validation of that will be through Petersen's coaching as well as these guys being in a real S&C program.

Elijah Qualls- FR- has earned good reviews so far, has a chance to be one of the breakout guys on defense
Joe Mathis-Soph- super talented, shouldn't have played last year, will benefit from S&C program, maybe too good to be RS this year
Cory Littleton- JR- 62 tackles, 10 TFL, 5 sacks, improved as year went on. A guy who should have been RS
Turpin/Wooching/Finau/Tupou- maybe one of these guys can emerge. Wooching would be my guess.

JR and RS sophs are weak because Sark whiffed but Petersen has brought in 5 guys who all have a chance to be major contributors. These 5 guys could all be RS this year and then have 4 to play 4 starting in 2015.

Vita Vea-Frosh- will take Shelton's spot next year, a guy that Tosh & Pete while at Boise really wanted
Greg Gaines-Frosh- 6'1 320, another DT. ranked #42 player in California, #37 DT, looked very good on film (@chuckhv insight)
Jaylen Johnson-Frosh- 6'2 254, #42 in California, #36 DE by ESPN. Passes look test
Kaleb McGary-Frosh, 6'7 291, 4*, could be a beast of a DE if developed properly, passes look test
Will Dissly- Frosh, 6'4 273, good size, Gatorade player of year in Montana, very productive as pass rusher and TE on offense. Only 2nd guy in Montana ever to be named to Parade team.

4 of the 5 are basically high 3* or low 4* prospects. These are the types of guys where coaching and S&C will make or break their careers. Under old staffs they'd probably end up being mediocre, average guys where maybe 1 becomes an all conference player. Under a championship head coach and proven S&C program these are guys who become starters on top 15 teams. Dissly is a 2* guy who might not have to play until his 3rd year in the program. He should also benefit from a real S&C program.

Sark/Tosh's great DL class is down to 2 guys and one wasted his first year. On paper that class looked great but now it basically is average at best. Contrast that with Pete's DL class. It has 4 guys who are solid recruits plus one project. TBS jerkoffs lauded Sark's class but gave Pete's class muted reviews. My prediction is Petersen is going to have a very good DL this year and a monster DL in a few years.

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,069
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Good write-up. The players are there. They just need coaching. Not rah rah bullshit Facebook friend faggotry.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited August 2014

Months ago when asked by Softy about recruiting worries, Petros scoffed and mentioned that Petersen built an SEC-like DL at Boise with no big time recruits. We know that the DL will be a strength this year but the future looks very strong as well. Validation of that will be through Petersen's coaching as well as these guys being in a real S&C program.

Elijah Qualls- FR- has earned good reviews so far, has a chance to be one of the breakout guys on defense
    Joe Mathis-Soph- super talented, shouldn't have played last year, will benefit from S&C program, maybe too good to be RS this year
    Cory Littleton- JR- 62 tackles, 10 TFL, 5 sacks, improved as year went on. A guy who should have been RS
    Turpin/Wooching/Finau/Tupou- maybe one of these guys can emerge. Wooching would be my guess.

JR and RS sophs are weak because Sark whiffed but Petersen has brought in 5 guys who all have a chance to be major contributors. These 5 guys could all be RS this year and then have 4 to play 4 starting in 2015.

Vita Vea-Frosh- will take Shelton's spot next year, a guy that Tosh & Pete while at Boise really wanted
    Greg Gaines-Frosh- 6'1 320, another DT. ranked #42 player in California, #37 DT, looked very good on film (@chuckhv insight)
    Jaylen Johnson-Frosh- 6'2 254, #42 in California, #36 DE by ESPN. Passes look test
    Kaleb McGary-Frosh, 6'7 291, 4*, could be a beast of a DE if developed properly, passes look test
    Will Dissly- Frosh, 6'4 273, good size, Gatorade player of year in Montana, very productive as pass rusher and TE on offense. Only 2nd guy in Montana ever to be named to Parade team.

4 of the 5 are basically high 3* or low 4* prospects. These are the types of guys where coaching and S&C will make or break their careers. Under old staffs they'd probably end up being mediocre, average guys where maybe 1 becomes an all conference player. Under a championship head coach and proven S&C program these are guys who become starters on top 15 teams. Dissly is a 2* guy who might not have to play until his 3rd year in the program. He should also benefit from a real S&C program.

Sark/Tosh's great DL class is down to 2 guys and one wasted his first year. On paper that class looked great but now it basically is average at best. Contrast that with Pete's DL class. It has 4 guys who are solid recruits plus one project. TBS jerkoffs lauded Sark's class but gave Pete's class muted reviews. My prediction is Petersen is going to have a very good DL this year and a monster DL in a few years.

The only one that will be an all american is the one TAMU bought for 100g. Qualls has a good chance to be all pac12, Mathis? Maybe. Hall is going to be all SEC at a minimum. He looked killer in spot duty. That one stings. Oh I forgot...cook it bitch!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Good chit chestbeater
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good post Chest. Petersen pulled in a monster DL class that will end up substantially better than Tosh's monster 2013 class. Bowman is another guy who is a lower ranked prospect, but could end up solid. He already has great size. I'm most excited about McGary. I wanted him to play tackle, but he's fucking mammoth. With good coaching, he should be a monster in 2 years. I like Dissley too. At 273, he could end up at DT in a year or two if he adds another 10-15 pounds.

Next year's DL:

DE: Mathis/McGary/Dissley/Bowman
    NT: Vea/Gaines
    DT: Qualls/McGary/Tupou/Dissley
    OLB/DE: Littleton/Johnson

Looks pretty good to me with the potential to be great in 2016 and 2017. Our interior depth problems will be fixed after this year. Farria's departure does create the need for a couple pass rushers in this class which I assume will be addressed in this year's class.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    DL=Most Important Part of the Team. If Mathis has any desire, he should become an absolute terror.

Strong first post. Please keep visiting our site.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    RD55 53 seconded me re Bowman. It pains me to lose Farria, but there still remains a strong corps of talented young DLs.

McGary is going to be a stud wherever he ends up. With a redshirt season under his belt, I imagine he could easily replace Hatchie at LT and basically end my worries about the 2015 OL. I'm hoping the coaches decide over the next two weeks that Vea + Gaines + Qualls look good enough at DT to try McGary on offense.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Free pub.

I've been fooled by HS film of DL prospects more often than not. We can't all be as good as PLSS. Gaines better bring my average up to a respectable level. He looked like a big, quick, mean dude to me. Either way it'll be interesting.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Revisiting Sark's awesome 2013 DL recruiting:

JoJo Mathis DE - In the rotation; thus far, good
    Elijah Qualls DT - In the rotation; thus far, good
    Marcus Farria DE - Expected to be in the rotation; dismissed; lots of chatter about his talent
    Andrew Basham DT - Did not qualify; apparently loved starbucks
    Jaime Bryant DL - Grey shirted; career ending injury;
    DeDe Hall DE - Sark's best recruit; helped win off-season recruiting rankings; A&M enrollee

Seems like Sark gets a huge amount of credit recruiting for very little actual return. I know results mean little to recruitniks, but even this is startling. Dawgman, et al., were singing his praises (still do) for what? Two guys who have yet to play extensive minutes.

• Options
    FingaPopYaElbowFingaPopYaElbow Member Posts: 8
    Testing 1 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    Sark is one of the most overrated recruiters around. The percentage of guys that came in with big time hype and didn't do a damn thing for us is staggering. College fball is all about development anyway, many of these guys that recruitnik douches love have maxed out their potential playing high school ball, see Heaps, Jake Hasty, JR and Montana, Nick just to name a few.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,924
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    AEB said:

Marcus Farria DE - Expected to be in the rotation; dismissed; lots of chatter about his talent
    DeDe Hall DE - Sark's best recruit; helped win off-season recruiting rankings; A&M enrollee

Seems like Sark gets a huge amount of credit recruiting for very little actual return. I know results mean little to recruitniks, but even this is startling. Dawgman, et al., were singing his praises (still do) for what? Two guys who have yet to play extensive minutes.

The handwringers who moan about the loss of Sark the recruiter are not as interested in the players he actually brought into the program, but rather the ones that appeared in Tard's recruiting blogs but went elsewhere. "When Sark was here we were in on a bunch of high level guys. Things sure have changed"
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

AEB said:

The handwringers who moan about the loss of Sark the recruiter are not as interested in the players he actually brought into the program, but rather the ones that appeared in Tard's recruiting blogs but went elsewhere. "When Sark was here we were in on a bunch of high level guys. Things sure have changed"
    Upvoted for now just shortening it to "Tard".
  • Options
    beelzebubbeelzebub Member Posts: 361
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Testing 1 5 Up Votes
    U might be the biggest PAK (petersen ass kisser)on this board. Yeah talk up that all world guy from Montana with no decent offers, same with Gaines.
    U best hope dline performs this year, not much in cupboard when kikha and shelton bail
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    beelzebub said:

U might be the biggest PAK (petersen ass kisser)on this board. Yeah talk up that all world guy from Montana with no decent offers, same with Gaines.
    U best hope dline performs this year, not much in cupboard when kikha and shelton bail

Poor reading comprehension of chest beaters breakdown...

Give reasoning or hit briks fucko