Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Was at the grocery store this morning at 5am

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Got into a conversation with a checker. She said her manager is telling them that a massive aluminum shortage is coming, which will reflect in things like energy drinks going up by 50-100% in retail cost

Comments

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,719
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Hey, I recycle cans

part of the solution, not the problem
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Shouldn’t drink that shit anyways.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter
    This was starting back in 2020:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/07/15/aluminum-can-shortage-beer-soda-coca-cola-pepsico-covid-19/5443308002/

I put part of the blame on @Pitchfork51:

“Ball spokesperson Renee Robinson said the company experienced increasing demand for aluminum cans before COVID-19 from a surge of interest in hard seltzer and sparkling water.”
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2021
    The big issue is the rationing of energy taking place in China... the largest aluminum producer... that and the fact that the number 2 precious producer used to be Brazil but they have closed a lot of their plants ~ again about energy... Capacity has shrunk and has long since moved off shore so here we go with plastics again and jacked up profit margins because of "unexpected shortages" for the remaining few producers.

We have offshored so many "critical" industries under the guise of socio political agenda when it was really about market control and price fixing, and its now coming back to bite us in the butt... congress and the administrations have been bought off [both parties] and consequently unnatural consolidation has taken place and the remaining handful of producers have been allowed to close and offshore critical capacity which was preciously multiply redundant because of enough competition to maintain a healthy level of excess capacity.

This "above board" payola used to be referred to as racketeering and is now through legislative reform [legal changes written and paid for by big business] a perfectly legal maneuver. FMFYFE. This is a good example, and represents the unseen shell game genesis of the decline and fall of America as we knew it.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter

The big issue is the rationing of energy taking place in China... the largest aluminum producer... that and the fact that the number 2 precious producer used to be Brazil but they have closed a lot of their plants ~ again about energy... Capacity has shrunk and has long since moved off shore so here we go with plastics again and jacked up profit margins because of "unexpected shortages" for the remaining few producers.

We have offshored so many "critical" industries under the guise of socio political agenda when it was really about market control and price fixing, and its now coming back to bite us in the butt... congress and the administrations have been bought off [both parties] and consequently unnatural consolidation has taken place and the remaining handful of producers have been allowed to close and offshore critical capacity which was preciously multiply redundant because of enough competition to maintain a healthy level of excess capacity.

This "above board" payola used to be referred to as racketeering and is now through legislative reform [legal changes written and paid for by big business] a perfectly legal maneuver. FMFYFE. This is a good example, and represents the unseen shell game genesis of the decline and fall of America as we knew it.

I will again take this opportunity to plug @GrundleStiltzkin’s book recommendation - energy is vital:

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I'm so glad that I've kept all of my Zima cans from over the years.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @DerekJohnson leaving the grocery store at 5:10:

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

@DerekJohnson leaving the grocery store at 5:10:

I wondered who was in that car trailing me at 5MPH