Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Sneak Revisited

DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
Founders Club
I originally went back and watched "the sneak" again because I couldn't figure out how Wattenberg managed to get 3 yards downfield, still standing, while his QB was stacked up at the line of scrimmage in a giant pile. It just seemed physically impossible for the center to have escaped that mess and literally have time to turn around and watch his QB get stopped for no gain.

But, after watching it again, Wattenberg actually engaged his defender and moved him 3 yards downfield. He was the only lineman that actually got any push. The rest of the line ... horrifying to watch.

Our right tackle and right guard get off the ball slow, and then slant left. They never directly engage the defenders in front of them. The defenders get off quickly enough that they just shoot the gaps between the guard/center and tackle/guard. The d-linemen are already a yard deep in our backfield before our o-linemen engage with them, and then when they do engage with them they push them directly into the path of Morris (or, in the case of our right tackle, he whiffs entirely).

This explains how Wattenberg managed to get so far downfield, on a sneak, relatively unscathed by the pile. As he vacated and got push on the d-lineman in front of him, the vacancy gets immediately filed by the other d-linemen that our o-line pushes into that spot ... stopping Morris in his tracks.

Worse than all of that, is our left guard. He does not make contact with the d-lineman that is across from him until AFTER Morris is already stopped. That's how late he was getting off the snap. I know that Morris slanted away from our left guard, but it's still stunning to watch how slow our left guard gets off the snap. Of all of our lineman not named Wattenberg, only our left tackle seems to get off the ball with any urgency, and since the sneak went to the right, it made no difference.

Our linemen were incredibly slow off the ball ... and worse yet ... the entire blocking scheme seemed designed to push defenders directly into the path of the QB, rather than firing out straight ahead and getting a 1.5 yard push. It's a mess.

You can fast forward this video to 15:40 if you want to see it for yourself. Have a vomit bag nearby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPvtjo40UuY

Comments

• Options
    79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 710
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Not sure what blocking scheme other than a wedge do you expect on a qb sneak. Now getting off the ball with some anticipation is something to be desired.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,554
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    great detail - now can you do the same on Davis' fumble

Just kidding
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You don’t sneak from a full yard … that’s just fucking stupid
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    running that play with a qb like Eason who is 6'6" 230 pounds makes a little bit of sense. The guy can fall forward and get a yard. Dylan Morris 6'0" 200 pounds (maybe) is STUPID. Let's not forget our lesbian center who can't push his man forward 3 feet.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,101
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I don’t really even remember that play. I must’ve been pretty drunk by that time
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm surprised their safeties aren't 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Small issue, but why have the WR’s so far inside?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Going for it was the correct call.

QB sneak on a long 1.5 yards was fucking retarded.

Not understanding that it was a tie game late in the 4th, you have 3 time outs, your defense is shit, and the play was probably going to determine the game so you try to draw them offsides and then call a timeout and make sure everyone is on the same page for a pleasant/mcgrew handoff after the timeout is extra special retarded

Punting might have worked but it would have been too pussy of a move. It was a bit long for a sneak. Also, other than the 3rd down run by McGrew, we had been gashing them in the 2nd half.
  • Options

I'm surprised their safeties aren't 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Small issue, but why have the WR’s so far inside?
    It only makes some sense if you’re planning on running wide and looking to have the WRs seal the edge on a defense looking to over commit to a sneak or middle run
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

Not understanding that it was a tie game late in the 4th, you have 3 time outs, your defense is shit, and the play was probably going to determine the game so you try to draw them offsides and then call a timeout and make sure everyone is on the same page for a pleasant/mcgrew handoff after the timeout is extra special retarded

I think you’re spot on in regards to leveraging cadence and a timeout in that situation … the sneak is the wrong play call

I think if you’re efficient offensively then going for it makes sense and if you do then I’m probably looking to throw on some kind of run route or boot action … particularly given our tendencies

That said I don’t think going for it was a slam dunk … doing so IMO is an indictment on one’s thoughts on the defense to get a stop

Big picture is you can break apart in this single play all the different ways this team is poorly coached
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If they had run the wild Columbian and given to Bynum in the fly sweep he'd still be running. I was screaming at my TV for it, but I've been screaming for McGrew to hand off to the fly sweep for two games now.
  • Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

If they had run the wild Columbian and given to Bynum in the fly sweep he'd still be running. I was screaming at my TV for it, but I've been screaming for McGrew to hand off to the fly sweep for two games now.

I don’t think he’s allowed to. Probably get buried on the depth chart again if he tried to hand it off to the fly sweep receiver. I mean, I can only assume based on playing time being divvied out to favorites instead of based on merit at several positions.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

I think you’re spot on in regards to leveraging cadence and a timeout in that situation … the sneak is the wrong play call

I think if you’re efficient offensively then going for it makes sense and if you do then I’m probably looking to throw on some kind of run route or boot action … particularly given our tendencies

That said I don’t think going for it was a slam dunk … doing so IMO is an indictment on one’s thoughts on the defense to get a stop

Big picture is you can break apart in this single play all the different ways this team is poorly coached
    We haven't run a bootleg all season. With Morris' diminutiveness and deficiencies, the one thing he can do decently well is throw on the run. Amazing we haven't tried that, especially with our porous OL. Don is so fucking dumb. They're all dumb.
  • Options
    Beno4Life said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

We haven't run a bootleg all season. With Morris' diminutiveness and deficiencies, the one thing he can do decently well is throw on the run. Amazing we haven't tried that, especially with our porous OL. Don is so fucking dumb. They're all dumb.
    If you really want to be a run first team …

Then a lot of what you do has to be running stretch / off tackle that gets the defense flowing one way and susceptible to play action going the other way
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,015
    According to Lake it always "works in practice" so they'll keep doing it in games.