Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Annnnnnnd time

Comments

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Its wouldn't take the best salesman person in the world to sell some sort of partnership between Amazon, Microsoft, and the UW athletic department...

If only anyone in the UW AD actually cared.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,640
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2021
    Can someone educate me on whether or not NIL has kind of been a slight thud so far or is it just kind of now a public money laundering scheme for bags? For the most part to me, a lot of college athletes have most of their value coming out of high school for programs but aren't really valuable for NIL yet? By the time most are, they are gone to the pros and you have a lot of flameout in college sports. Like did anyone invest in DJ Uiagalelei? How's that going to go when he gets benched? What about making Thibodeaux the world's most bizarro rinky dink influencer? Does having promotion from some dude who has 75k followers on Instagram resonate for anything when almost any above average girl can put her ass on there and get to 100k?

Still seems to me like the rare valuable NIL opportunities will be the generational guys like Manziel/Tebow who are back with a full season be promoted and those guys are beyond rare.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Can someone educate me on whether or not NIL has kind of been a slight thud so far or is it just kind of now a public money laundering scheme for bags? For the most part to me, a lot of college athletes have most of their value coming out of high school for programs but aren't really valuable for NIL yet? By the time most are, they are gone to the pros and you have a lot of flameout in college sports. Like did anyone invest in DJ Uiagalelei? How's that going to go when he gets benched? What about making Thibodeaux the world's most bizarro rinky dink influencer? Does having promotion from some dude who has 75k followers on Instagram resonate for anything when almost any above average girl can put her ass on there and get to 100k?

Still seems to me like the rare valuable NIL opportunities will be the generational guys like Manziel/Tebow who are back with a full season be promoted and those guys are beyond rare.

It's definitely much more risky. But imagine a company being able to buy Peyton Manning's services as a freshman at Tennessee for a 4 year $2 million dollar deal, when his NIL market value before the draft would probably be $10-$15m annually.
  • Options

Houhusky said:

Its wouldn't take the best salesman person in the world to sell some sort of partnership between Amazon, Microsoft, and the UW athletic department...

If only anyone in the UW AD actually cared.

I'm sure people at the UW AD do care, whether they're competent enough for that to matter or not. The problem is that Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, insert-multinational-Seattle-based-megacorp-here don't give a fuuuuuuuck about local college football. They care about their shareholders and bottom line.

Oregon is lucky because not only is a sports-focused megacorp semi-local, but its founder and richest/most influential stakeholder happens to be an Oregon grad who sees his alma mater winning a natty as a worthwhile vanity project. It takes all of those ingredients. It's not that they have Nike, it's that they have Knight. There is no Phil Knight at Microsoft. There is no Phil Knight at Amazon. There is no (longer a) national brand like Alabama or Ohio State that sells itself to some national marketing firm for paying the new quarterback Jack Hasntthrownapass a million bucks.

UW's path to even marginal NIL success is, unfortunately, exactly what they're trying: getting a relatively large number of small to medium sized businesses owned/run by big time Husky fans to buy in.

T. Boone Pickens ain't walking through that door.
    Maybe, I think that some of these Seattle megacorps would love to have flatbeds full of college athletes they can parade around and a financial (and political) partnership with UW and it's athletes inside Seattle might be more effective, cheaper, and controllable than trying to navigate and pay off the rotating buffet of political charlatans and dawgmatic (SWIDT) ideologues that currently run the city/state.

Nike has a more direct sports line, but Nike also has to get away with slave labor so their program has a few more rails to grease.
  • Options

If I'm dropping a few mil into some dumbfuck high schooler I'm also dropping enough money to the coach/program to ensure "my guy" is starting and being showcased. Just sayin.
  • Options
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    HuskyJW said:
    2/3rds of those chicks look like dudes.

Wouldn't.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,476
    Bagmen in the SEC will still bag for the superstars
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,640
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, basically money laundering bags is what I think all the build up leads up. My thought was the only way NIL would really work is if set up a situation where money is distributed evenly between teammates, conferences, divisions, sports, in some capacity, otherwise, yeah, it's just a sketchy recruiting tool - and I'm not old school dodging on that like it's dirty.

My hopes would be more focused on things like yearly stadium/field/video game/general licensing agreements being shared with all members of a team or an AD. Same with jersey/merch sales and even coach bonuses for wins/achievements. Some of these is where UW could work some of those corporate advantages being in a big market as opposed to the weirdo shit we're seeing now.

With the Oregon stuff, I would assume they could have just already dropped bags and the NCAA wasn't enforcing that shit anyway so maybe it doesn't actually make that much of a difference. I'm sure those Nike connections get played up a lot in the recruiting process but the truth is Nike is smart enough that you're not going to get any advantage from that you don't earn or bring value to them from. Case in point, GOAT LaMichael James runs some sort of burger place in Oregon, he's not a VP at Nike. Even NFL studs like Ngata and Buckner, aren't getting some Nike connection unless it's a value to Nike.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,325
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

With the Oregon stuff, I would assume they could have just already dropped bags and the NCAA wasn't enforcing that shit anyway so maybe it doesn't actually make that much of a difference. I'm sure those Nike connections get played up a lot in the recruiting process but the truth is Nike is smart enough that you're not going to get any advantage from that you don't earn or bring value to them from. Case in point, GOAT LaMichael James runs some sort of burger place in Oregon, he's not a VP at Nike. Even NFL studs like Ngata and Buckner, aren't getting some Nike connection unless it's a value to Nike.

The difference is that now they can market their services to recruits openly, write it off at tax time, and actually derive some benefit for it off the field. The pool of money can climb, too, as there's no way an entity the size of Nike was dropping bags on players. They'd have had to use middle men like AAU coaches and whatnot to keep their noses clean. Now they don't need to.

I can see NIL being a huge blow to the bottom line of prep coaches.
  • Options
    Queery do players who sign substantial NIL deals count against scholarship numbers? Why even put them on scholarship at all? Is it possible to field an entire Alabama national championship team full of multi millionaire "walk-ons"?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

Just too tempting for the feds to keep their hands off. I hope the "kids" have good financial advisors

Welcome to Biden's America.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,046
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

HuskyJW said:
    One final attempt to buy a Natty he dies. Gonna throw a fat party for him when he croaks. RIP ya old bitch.
    One of my favorite doog memories is the rout at Autzen 42-14 where I met yella and Stan

Phil's luxury box opened that day and Dan Fouts broadcast from it

42 to 14 DAWGS

Watched it on the VCR lol when I got home

No natty Phil
    My favorite all time day as a Husky fan.