Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

MotoGP legend announces he will retire.

PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,487
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
I know most of you DGAF about motorbike racing (except for @1to392831weretaken), but Valentino Rossi did so much for the sport. He was a good ambassador for MotoGP and inspired many of the current young riders, like Fabio Quartararo.

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/valentino-rossi-announces-retirement-from-motogp/6642490/amp/

Grazie Vale!

Comments

• Options
    Founders Club
    I totally fucked up tagging @1to392831weretaken in that poast.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The guy's a spoiled brat like the rest of them, I'm sure, but at least he doesn't act like there's something shoved up his ass sideways publicly. I think his genius is in being the greatest in the world at something for the majority of his career while also coming across as "normal."

I think his swan song hasn't been very graceful, and I lost a lot of respect for him in the wake of some on and off-track moves he made as he started losing his grip on the top spot in the series, but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't a big reason I became a huge fan. It was impossible to watch the documentary Faster and not become a Rossi fan. That was my introduction to the sport and the reason that--at a very late age of 25--I bought my first motorcycle and learned to ride! "Holy shit... this exists!?"

Rossi/Stoner, Rossi/Lorenzo was the golden era of MotoGP. It got boring when Marquez came in, acted like he owned the track, used every other rider as his personal berm, but then wiped the floor with the field. Sports are less fun when the asshole is steamrolling and it's not competitive. I think the racing's gotten interesting again since Marquez' injury, as the winner of every race is now actually in doubt. Not as much passing at the front lately, though.

I think fans of normal team sports would probably have a hard time understanding just how huge of an impact losing this guy will have on this sport. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more Rossi fans than MotoGP fans. Seeing how the series handles his departure will be interesting.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I know most of you DGAF about motorbike racing (except for @1to392831weretaken), but Valentino Rossi did so much for the sport. He was a good ambassador for MotoGP and inspired many of the current young riders, like Fabio Quartararo.

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/valentino-rossi-announces-retirement-from-motogp/6642490/amp/

Grazie Vale!

What are you talking about? I’m all over it!

https://gaycarboys.com/10-sexiest-motogp-riders-and-their-stats/motor-cycles-reviews-news/motogp/amp/
  • Options
    Founders Club

The guy's a spoiled brat like the rest of them, I'm sure, but at least he doesn't act like there's something shoved up his ass sideways publicly. I think his genius is in being the greatest in the world at something for the majority of his career while also coming across as "normal."

I think his swan song hasn't been very graceful, and I lost a lot of respect for him in the wake of some on and off-track moves he made as he started losing his grip on the top spot in the series, but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't a big reason I became a huge fan. It was impossible to watch the documentary Faster and not become a Rossi fan. That was my introduction to the sport and the reason that--at a very late age of 25--I bought my first motorcycle and learned to ride! "Holy shit... this exists!?"

Rossi/Stoner, Rossi/Lorenzo was the golden era of MotoGP. It got boring when Marquez came in, acted like he owned the track, used every other rider as his personal berm, but then wiped the floor with the field. Sports are less fun when the asshole is steamrolling and it's not competitive. I think the racing's gotten interesting again since Marquez' injury, as the winner of every race is now actually in doubt. Not as much passing at the front lately, though.

I think fans of normal team sports would probably have a hard time understanding just how huge of an impact losing this guy will have on this sport. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more Rossi fans than MotoGP fans. Seeing how the series handles his departure will be interesting.

You don't get to that level by not being somewhat of an arrogant asshole. But, like you said, he's definitely not a stick in the mud. Vale made things fun... yes, mostly when he was winning.

Marquez comes across as a fake. He's a machine... a bit of a robot. Great rider and a huge risk taker, but he's not exactly inspiring.

Quartararo brings the fun to the sport and maybe Jack Miller to a certain degree.

It'll be interesting to see what VR46 does in the coming years.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sunday's race (Austria #2), was the craziest shit I've ever watched on two wheels. Even if you're not a motorcycle racing (or motorsports in general) fan, you should find a way to watch that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Primer:

1.) MotoGP races are "sprints." There are typically no pit stops, just a ~45 sprint to the checker. There is an exception for changing weather conditions. If a race starts dry and rains (or starts wet and dries up), riders can come into the pit and swap for their second bike as long as it's shod with different tires (swap a bike with slicks for a bike with rains or vise versa). These are called "flag to flag" races.

2.) Every track is different, based off the length of the pit lane, but pitting to swap bikes takes between 35 and 50 seconds. Coming in to swap bikes is always a gamble. The rider has to assess how many laps are remaining in the race, how much time per lap is being lost to being on the wrong tire, and do the math to see if the time swapping bikes is worth it. There is no team radio. Riders are out there on their own making these decisions.

3.) Rain tires are amazing. These guys run a pace in the rain that I couldn't match in the dry on slicks. It must be fully wet for them to work, though, as they overheat in as little as a single lap in the dry and start throwing tread blocks.

4.) Slicks are similarly amazing... on a dry track. They are WORTHLESS in the wet. Not only are there no sipes to clear water from the tire compound, but it's also a temperature thing. I once crashed on slicks just from being held at track entrance for seven minutes. The difference between fresh off the warmers and seven minutes removed from the warmers was enough to basically turn them into ice skates. Now picture pouring down rain.

5.) If you're some kind of godlike rider who can stay upright on slicks in the rain, the next challenge is brakes. In the dry, these bikes run carbon-carbon composite brake rotors. Not only do they handle infinity-high temperatures, they weigh basically zero, so less rotating mass and therefore better bump compliance and quicker steering. The downside to that high-temperature operating window is the same as with slick tires: They HAVE to be hot to work. At all. In the rain, these bikes run iron rotors for this reason. A rider's second bike will be setup with rain tires and iron rotors in case of rain.

6.) The suspension setup is also different between a wet bike and a dry bike. In the dry, these bikes run super stiff suspension to handle the crazy braking and cornering loads. In the wet, they run softer setups for better traction.

With all of these things taken into account, what Brad Binder pulled off in the last three laps of this race is fucking impossible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz260KqjDHQ
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Thanks for the insights, @1to392831weretaken.

I'll watch the race when I have some free time.