Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Arizona DB coach punching air right now.

His tape is pretty good, certainly a playmaker. Would like to know measurables of course. Not too much info about him, looks like he wasn't really recruited out of hs, maybe he grew a lot in the last couple years.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Not watching the video at this point …

But having to go the JuCo route in DB recruiting is pretty damn telling
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Telling of what? I mean, I probably know most of what you'd say, but am curious for your full take.

One concern it immediately raises for me is that they're not feeling too good about the db room, specifically the corners, behind Gordon and McDuffie. I read somewhere earlier that Elijah Jackson and Powell were the guys standing out behind the starters. That caused me to raise an eyebrow, now this offer increases my suspicions about what that means.

I haven't watched so I don't even know, but I assume he's a corner.
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

Tequilla said:

Telling of what? I mean, I probably know most of what you'd say, but am curious for your full take.

One concern it immediately raises for me is that they're not feeling too good about the db room, specifically the corners, behind Gordon and McDuffie. I read somewhere earlier that Elijah Jackson and Powell were the guys standing out behind the starters. That caused me to raise an eyebrow, now this offer increases my suspicions about what that means.

Terrence and Whillup just went 1 for 16 on DB targets (from HS) this cycle. They are having to scavenger the juco ranks because no one from the hs ranks want to play for us
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,925
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Again, we're competing with Zona, Beavers, and Colorado for our recruits.

Just fucking roll the dice and see if you can win some games and use that to your advantage in recruiting. Filling up our commit list with guys Willingham would have taken, at this point, is not a sound strategy
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Tequilla said:

Terrence and Whillup just went 1 for 16 on DB targets (from HS) this cycle. They are having to scavenger the juco ranks because no one from the hs ranks want to play for us
    Well duh, but offering a JC corner and whiffing on HS guys probably points to different issues. One is about the very near future, specifically next season, while the other is about a few years down the road.

There's an assumption that there is talent already on hand to maintain or even improve the overall level of play at UW for a couple of years before the shit recruiting becomes apparent. Going after JC guys, whether they're WSU/Arizona caliber guys or not, is a sign that the staff isn't so confident.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    chuck said:

Tequilla said:

I think it’s a combination of reasons

Missing out at a staggering level of your targets has you dipping further and further to find someone to say yes … we got a guy for LAST YEAR’s class this summer … so this isn’t a new issue

Just reading reports you’ve heard some of the players competing for spots talking about transfers … for example, bringing in Bookie likely pushes someone back in the pecking order for playing time … tough pill to swallow when you’ve been hiding your time and honing your craft to then have the right pulled right out from under you

Finally, you get a compounding impact when you aren’t getting your top targets that those you get either need more time to develop and/or frankly aren’t good enough

By and large, UW doesn’t recruit at the JuCo level … when we do there’s a targeted reason like with Moore where it’s a local kid that we’d have taken out of HS if he would have qualified

This isn’t one of those situations … this is you have coaches that can’t recruit out of a wet paper bag
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    Expecting attrition in the DB room which is why it's a JUCO DB.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Tequilla said:

Well duh, but offering a JC corner and whiffing on HS guys probably points to different issues. One is about the very near future, specifically next season, while the other is about a few years down the road.

There's an assumption that there is talent already on hand to maintain or even improve the overall level of play at UW for a couple of years before the shit recruiting becomes apparent. Going after JC guys, whether they're WSU/Arizona caliber guys or not, is a sign that the staff isn't so confident.
    I think Terrence and whillup are just getting desperate at this point. Whatever they are selling, PSAs are not buying.

The juco and transfer portal cannot be sustainable long term as the margin of error gets that much smaller due to it alienating younger players and not having a lot of time of the juco and transfer guys to get them up to speed or develop them.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,925
    Standard Supporter

Smith and Asa have been absent from camp. I wouldn't be surprised if either or both of them left
  • Options

Smith and Asa have been absent from camp. I wouldn't be surprised if either or both of them left
    Is asa hurt? I would laugh if he ended up at notre dame lol
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Seems likely. Smith was a huge reach to begin with.. Pretty obvious that Turner had no hold at all on a starting spot going into this camp. They want Irvin and Hampton out there. I'm glad. Cook and Williams are pretty solid backups with tons of game experience. Asa really is no loss unless you believe he grew a penis in the offseason.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,298
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,147

Scott went to Liberty in NV for a couple years

“Beyond blessed to be offered by the ducks.”
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I watched the film. No expert but he looks pretty athletic and diagnosed a lot of routes and run plays and seemed to seek out putting the ball carrier on the ground. Looks like a playmaker at that level. Snow is a good jc so I don’t hate it but hard to say without seeing the low lights as well.