Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tony Dungy wouldn't have taken Michael Sam

2»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,517
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Looks like the thought police win again.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    He might have a bit more credibility if he hadn't coached Marvin Harrison for years. Coaching a gay player should be easier than coaching a murderer. IMHO.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

He might have a bit more credibility if he hadn't coached Marvin Harrison for years. Coaching a gay player should be easier than coaching a murderer. IMHO.

Was there a media circus surrounding Harrison?

I think that's what Dungy was getting at here.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2014

A future hall of fame WR and a guy who hopefully can be a situational pass rusher. There lies the difference.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Lol yes because Marvin Harrison came out before the draft and said "I have killed somebody". Great comparison.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lol yes because Marvin Harrison came out before the draft and said "I have killed somebody". Great comparison.
    That would have been courageous if he did...
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    What Dungy said in the follow-up makes sense to me. You don't want OWN cameras hovering around training camp.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Now Dungy is sticking his foot in his mouth. I initially sided with him because it's common sense that a pro football organization doesn't want a media circus around a 7th round pick. In his follow comments, he admits he doesn't agree with Sam's lifestyle. I would have to think that his beliefs played a part in his comments. If I was Sam and Dungy reached out, I'd tell him to fuck off.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/23/tony-dungy-michael-sam-comments
  • Options

Now Dungy is sticking his foot in his mouth. I initially sided with him because it's common sense that a pro football organization doesn't want a media circus around a 7th round pick. In his follow comments, he admits he doesn't agree with Sam's lifestyle. I would have to think that his beliefs played a part in his comments. If I was Sam and Dungy reached out, I'd tell him to fuck off.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/23/tony-dungy-michael-sam-comments

"I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not."

People know he is a devout Christian so him not agreeing with the lifestyle was pretty much already assumed with the outrage.

Again the point is he was asked a question whether he would draft him, and he gave his honest answer. If he would have said "no comment" their still would have been an outrage. So his only angle would to blatantly lie.

I do agree that the follow up interviews to clarify his comments usually just end up hurting the person more and should probably just refuse to do them.... but he would eventually get cornered by some member of the media sooner or later and would have to answer.

Sam had a shitty combine and pre draft work outs and dropped miserably down the ranks of draft charts because of that. So now the question is a 6th/7th round talent who will get more media coverage than maybe only Johnny Manziel worth it? Rams thought so, good for them. Maybe Sam turns out to be a fantastic NFL player... then a lot of teams who thought about drafting him but also wanted to avoid the distractions (and if you believe for one second that a bunch of teams didn't do this you are either extremely naive or just a fucking moron) will get a big slap in the face.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Dungy's comments have fueled the fire and will create more potential distractions for the Rams.

As I stated before, Dungy's got a platform to express his opinions and he's going to use it. Nothing wrong about that. A more savvy individual would have stepped around the Sam issue and still made his point about dealing with off the field distractions.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No one was talking about Mike Sam until Dungy had to get his cunt in a twist this week. There's your distraction.
  • Options

No one was talking about Mike Sam until Dungy had to get his cunt in a twist this week. There's your distraction.

He was asked a fucking question. He didn't go to the nearest newspaper with a megaphone and yell "I want this to go on the record...".
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I must live a #blessed life to have missed this latest shit storm.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

He was asked a fucking question. He didn't go to the nearest newspaper with a megaphone and yell "I want this to go on the record...".
    Dungy's comments have fueled the fire and will create more potential distractions for the Rams.

As I stated before, Dungy's got a platform to express his opinions and he's going to use it. Nothing wrong about that. A more savvy individual would have stepped around the Sam issue and still made his point about dealing with off the field distractions.