Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Fucking [Redacted]

dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,704
5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
Swaye's Wigwam
https://www.espn.com/soccer/concacaf-nations-league/story/4401690/usmnt-mexico-nations-league-final-halted-for-anti-gay-chant-by-fans

Wasn’t so much the chant but throwing bottles. Mine as well have been piss in bags.

But in the end they can suck my American cock.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=570981

The USMNT is actually fun to watch again.
Tagged:

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The USMNT has a ton of talent but major coaching deficiency. The defense is crazy porous. Having watched the Swiss loss (which really should have been something like 1-5), one of the major problems is that Dest is the best player we? have, but they play him at fullback even though he is completely worthless at defending. How can you be a defender when you spend 3/4 of your time on the other team's side of the pitch and fuck up half the time you are actually asked to defend? Brooks is also not great on his own.

USA has some amazing individual players, but they still haven't figured out how to put it together as a team. This is supposed to be USA's "big chance," but it seems more like my UW football thoughts thoughts pre-2019...

*I watch 10 times as much soccer played by 10 and 8 year old players than by international pros, but how in the fuck is Dest a starting defender for Barca? He has incredible talent, but you'd think a team with actual coaching would put him somewhere that masks his deficiencies and amplifies his strengths. To the soccer nerds: Is he actually a good defender for Barcelona?
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,704
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I didn’t catch the swizz game. I like most of Gregg’s tactical decisions but didn’t know he was playing dest out of position.

This is going to sound like every other doog fan but I truly believe this team will be special... in the ‘26 WC. The upcoming World Cup might be too soon but kids are starting to play real minutes for real clubs and once they figure out how to play together it will be great.

Yea, defense was suspect a lot. Glad the keeper who sounded like he was from Fargo came up so big.

In the end the W was great especially when it comes at the expense of el tri.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Gregg is a fucking moron. US won despite really, really dumb coaching.
    1) Weird lineup confused the players resulting in giving up a goal in the 1st 2 minutes and let the Mexicans get behind the American defense despite having 5 fucking defenders.
    2). Gregg finally adjusted, leaving slow, old Tim Ream as LB in the 2nd half which was an easy target...they subbed a young fast player out there and it only took a couple minutes to score.
    3) Despite all the offensive talent on the US they did not score in the run of play...scored on 2 corner kicks and a dubious pk.

Horrible outcome for the US because it will extend this train wreck of a situation longer...
    edited June 2021

The USMNT has a ton of talent but major coaching deficiency. The defense is crazy porous. Having watched the Swiss loss (which really should have been something like 1-5), one of the major problems is that Dest is the best player we? have, but they play him at fullback even though he is completely worthless at defending. How can you be a defender when you spend 3/4 of your time on the other team's side of the pitch and fuck up half the time you are actually asked to defend? Brooks is also not great on his own.

USA has some amazing individual players, but they still haven't figured out how to put it together as a team. This is supposed to be USA's "big chance," but it seems more like my UW football thoughts thoughts pre-2019...

*I watch 10 times as much soccer played by 10 and 8 year old players than by international pros, but how in the fuck is Dest a starting defender for Barca? He has incredible talent, but you'd think a team with actual coaching would put him somewhere that masks his deficiencies and amplifies his strengths. To the soccer nerds: Is he actually a good defender for Barcelona?

Dest is being played out of position (LB) and told by shitty coaches to play like that. He’s an average player for Barca but that should be more than good enough for us.

Brooks is good but slow...has to be paired with a much quicker CB (not Tim Ream) and preferably one that does not pass it regularly to the other team...
    Swaye's Wigwam

1) Weird lineup confused the players resulting in giving up a goal in the 1st 2 minutes and let the Mexicans get behind the American defense despite having 5 fucking defenders.
    2). Gregg finally adjusted, leaving slow, old Tim Ream as LB in the 2nd half which was an easy target...they subbed a young fast player out there and it only took a couple minutes to score.
    3) Despite all the offensive talent on the US they did not score in the run of play...scored on 2 corner kicks and a dubious pk.

Horrible outcome for the US because it will extend this train wreck of a situation longer...

Dest is being played out of position (LB) and told by shitty coaches to play like that. He’s an average player for Barca but that should be more than good enough for us.

Brooks is good but slow...has to be paired with a much quicker CB (not Tim Ream) and preferably one that does not pass it regularly to the other team...
    So two things right off the bat:
    1.) All of my opinions are based off of 90 minutes of soccer against higher-ranked Switzerland. It's like forming an opinion of Brandon McKinney by only watching the Ohio State game...
    2.) I was unable to watch USA/Mexico because--and this still amazes me--I was unable to find a single pirate stream, and CBS wanted me to sign up for a trial streaming membership in order to watch. How the fuck does a championship game between USA and Mexico not have 42 streaming links out there to choose from!? I went to be thinking it was a 2-2 tie, as Google told me that was the final score ("Weird that they would allow a tie in a championship game, but this is soccer, after all, and I guess this is a lame tournament...").

From the perspective of a USA soccer fan (which is how one can experience what it's like to be a Coug...), everything about this game was embarrassing. Not only was the stadium packed with Mexican fans, and not only was there no live stream outside of CBS, but all of the highlights I was able to find in-progress on YouTube were awesome so long as you speak Spanish. The massive disparity in support was quite obvious.

Anyway, one thing I was able to see in the Mexican YouTube highlight video (because the names were printed on the screen) was that the formational change that Gregg made seemed specifically designed to play Dest at a more natural position. In fact, it's exactly what Taylor Twellman was calling for after the Swiss humiliation. Against Switzerland, they played a four-man back line, with Brooks and Dest on the left. You're right about Brooks: he's a giant dude who wins 1v1s but is terrible in space. Dest, theoretically, is the fast guy who protects him back there. Instead, Dest spent the whole game on the Swiss side of the field, and Switzerland worked the ball down our? left flank over and over and over and over and over again, and the only thing saving five or six goals was that the Swiss striker was terrible at putting the ball in the back of the net. On the few occasions Dest was actually back to defend, he lost 1v1s, committed penalties, and gave up a PK with a hand ball (that last one not really his fault, but shit happens). The commentary after the game was that Dest needed to be moved forward so that he could continue to create and be a problem up front without being such a liability on the back end--that the four-man back line wasn't working when one of the four was never there and two of the others are slow.

They're going to have to figure it out. I'm not sold on Sargent, Reyna seems overrated at this point, and I'm not sure what Brenden Aaronson even does out there, but Dest, Pulisic, McKennie, Musah, and Lletget seem legit up front. The defense, though? Ouch.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    There needs to be some kind of tag developed for thread titles so that the American men who post here know when a thread is about soccer.
    edited June 2021
    Couple problems with US coaching on Dest.
    1) He's a RB playing LB...they do that because they don't have a great LB option and because they want to get Yedlin on the field. But then why not play Yedlin on the left out of position and let Dest (the better player) play his much more natural RB?
    2) With Barca they aren't depending on him going forward as part of the attack. He does every once in a while, but lets be honest no one there is counting on him to set up goals. With them its you are a defender first...if you see an opportunity to go forward great. With Berthalter its the opposite...they are telling/forcing him to roam up and worry about defense 2nd.

The 5-2-3 formation (have you ever seen that before in a competent game? Its worse than Arena's 3-6-1 craziness...) was dumb...in reality he was trying to be cute with a 3-4-3 formation (with 2 tortoises and a deer in the headlights playing defender) but all it did was confuse the entire backline...how in the world did Mexico keep getting behind our defense the entire first half if you have "5" defenders.

Ream shouldn't be on the field...Sargent is ho-hum...Reyna is good but young so he will have games like this...a lot of average play with a few special moments. Mark McKenzie should have given up at least 3 goals...he was scary. Sebastian Lletget shouldn't see the field again in a major competition but I'm sure he will be out there.

Do hope this game helps Horvath get in a better club situation...

Swaye's Wigwam

There needs to be some kind of tag developed for thread titles so that the American men who post here know when a thread is about soccer.

You make a good point. Most American men don't have brains that work fast enough to follow a game in which actually fit people run fast and do physical things. Baseball and golf are more at our? tough, manly speed.

Couple problems with US coaching on Dest.
    1) He's a RB playing LB...they do that because they don't have a great LB option and because they want to get Yedlin on the field. But then why not play Yedlin on the left out of position and let Dest (the better player) play his much more natural RB?
    2) With Barca they aren't depending on him going forward as part of the attack. He does every once in a while, but lets be honest no one there is counting on him to set up goals. With them its you are a defender first...if you see an opportunity to go forward great. With Berthalter its the opposite...they are telling/forcing him to roam up and worry about defense 2nd...

...Ream shouldn't be on the field...Sargent is ho-hum...Reyna is good but young so he will have games like this...a lot of average play with a few special moments. Mark McKenzie should have given up at least 3 goals...he was scary. Sebastian Lletget shouldn't see the field again in a major competition but I'm sure he will be out there.

I did not know any of these guys existed until I started getting bombarded with YouTube videos announcing the coming of this new wave of US nationals that are going to take the skwaad back to the promised land. Finally, US players are not only making but starting and playing for top level European clubs. I've watched quite a few highlight reels of all of those guys playing for their club teams, and the highlights suggested Dest comes forward and creates on offense quite a bit. Again, though, that's just highlights. How bad he was defending against Switzerland makes me wonder how in the hell he can start at defense for a club like Barcelona regardless of what side of the field. Clearly, what he does best is everything you want in a midfielder: Amazing dribbling, great passing, fast, etc. It's just weird to me that he's a defender.

Not high on Lletget, huh? I know nothing about him other than he seems to score goals when he's in. A goal every other cap over the last two years, it seems, which puts him right up there with Pulisic from a goal scoring perspective. What's the problem with him?
    No chance we do a whole lot...the top teams have serious depth and several world class players which we are still far, far away from. Pulisic and Reyna may get there but the best teams have their engines in center midfield and a world class defender or 2...we have nada coming up the pipeline.

Dest started 23 games for Barcelona in La Liga and subbed an additional 7...out of that he had 2 goals and an assist. Also have to consider the team...having good outside backs that go forward require good center backs...look how exposed Alexander-Arnold (a much better player than Dest) was at Liverpool once van Dijk went down. Having your outside backs roam forward when Tim Ream is you covering Centerback is asking a bit too much against good competition.

Lletget is a good MLS player...big step between that and being competitive against top 20 national teams. He couldn’t see the field at West Ham so he came to MLS. He’s scored 6 or 7 goals for the US, but with the exception of the Switzerland goal they have been against Central American teams and most of which were in blowouts games. He’s serviceable, but if he’s in the rotation the idea we have a top 20 National team is probably out the door.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Damn Houston. I use to really follow soccer and thought I knew my shit. Reading your stuff I realize I haven’t kept up as much as I use to.

Damn Houston. I use to really follow soccer and thought I knew my shit. Reading your stuff I realize I haven’t kept up as much as I use to.

I’m a soccer nut...my better half lets me disappear a couple weeks every 4 years to go to the World Cup. Nothing like it. And Covid has only fed my addiction...

Use to have seats behind the bench for the Dynamo but gave them up a while back...it’s hard watching MLS (esp the Dynamo...) when you watch a decent amount of soccer.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The whole game was absolutely wild. I knew once Gooch told the Mexican female announcer he would choke her out it was gonna be a wild day. This game was about as concacafy as it gets in a way I personally find pretty entertaining.

1) I’m not necessarily on the fire Gregg train yet but these last two games didn’t really make me more confident even though they won. The glass half full perspective is it’s a young team that hadn’t had a lot of time together, and the resiliency they showed last night only bodes well for the future. Glass half empty is Gregg might be a stubborn moron who forces his team to play out of the back even when it fucks them.

2) Tactically he fucked it, and then adjusted leaving Ream as a LB when Gregg had Ream’s club teammate who started 28 Premier league games at left back on the bench. Sure leave the fast guy on the bench and let Ream get toasted all game.

3) People forget if Sargent doesn’t clear that ball off the line versus Honduras they probably aren’t even playing in the final.

4) I also wasn’t a fan of the selections. Ream really shouldn’t be near the field. He’s not good enough. No Musah again, which was a bummer. Acosta was whatever to me, rather have him out there than Yueill. Llget over Musah makes no sense to me.

5) They really need to get Tyler Adam’s healthy and Chris Richards back to see what he can do next to JAB. Adams especially is sorely needed to provide cover for Dest. Speaking of Dest, like yea your a Barca player and you have sauce, but want to put in defensive effort like he has the last two games and guess what you can get your ass benched too.

6) Sargent hasn’t done enough to lockdown the forward spot, Dike/Sieb starting scoring somewhat consistently and it will be their job. Goalie should also be an open competition.

7) I wanted Tata as the USA coach but he also fucked up today, how do you not start Diego Llanez, Ariel Untena is simply not on his level. Probably would have won the game had Llanez started from the jump.

Honestly other than the mentality to come back multiple times and now they know they can beat Mexico wasn’t a whole lot of positives other than Mckennie who is making a strong case to be my favorite current player. But, to be frank I was just happy to see a win over Mexico and a competitive game even if it was just dumpy nations league, 2013 is a long time.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

No chance we do a whole lot...the top teams have serious depth and several world class players which we are still far, far away from. Pulisic and Reyna may get there but the best teams have their engines in center midfield and a world class defender or 2...we have nada coming up the pipeline.

Dest started 23 games for Barcelona in La Liga and subbed an additional 7...out of that he had 2 goals and an assist. Also have to consider the team...having good outside backs that go forward require good center backs...look how exposed Alexander-Arnold (a much better player than Dest) was at Liverpool once van Dijk went down. Having your outside backs roam forward when Tim Ream is you covering Centerback is asking a bit too much against good competition.

Lletget is a good MLS player...big step between that and being competitive against top 20 national teams. He couldn’t see the field at West Ham so he came to MLS. He’s scored 6 or 7 goals for the US, but with the exception of the Switzerland goal they have been against Central American teams and most of which were in blowouts games. He’s serviceable, but if he’s in the rotation the idea we have a top 20 National team is probably out the door.

I don’t know if I necessarily agree with you, I just think a lot of it is predicated on Tyler Adam’s being healthy. When he is on for Lepzig he is a pretty elite CDM. Pair that with Weston and Musah in the middle and you have a pretty dynamic ball winning box to box midfield. Maybe a little light on passing creativity but enough for a good creative coach to work with (not sure if that’s Gregg.). Chris Richards might be the big defensive player you say we need as well.

But yea depth is an issue. We are starting to produce some relatively good high level players, but if they go down their back ups aren’t on the same level. Contrast that with France, and it’s just a complete factory of talent. They have dudes getting bought for like 75 mil who cant get on the Euro squad.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don’t know if I necessarily agree with you, I just think a lot of it is predicated on Tyler Adam’s being healthy. When he is on for Lepzig he is a pretty elite CDM. Pair that with Weston and Musah in the middle and you have a pretty dynamic ball winning box to box midfield. Maybe a little light on passing creativity but enough for a good creative coach to work with (not sure if that’s Gregg.). Chris Richards might be the big defensive player you say we need as well.

But yea depth is an issue. We are starting to produce some relatively good high level players, but if they go down their back ups aren’t on the same level. Contrast that with France, and it’s just a complete factory of talent. They have dudes getting bought for like 75 mil who cant get on the Euro squad.
    I’m not into Soccer like I used to, but the lack of creativity and vision the US team has shown in the past always drove me nuts. Everything was so rigid compared to how the best teams played.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m not into Soccer like I used to, but the lack of creativity and vision the US team has shown in the past always drove me nuts. Everything was so rigid compared to how the best teams played.
    US gold cup team was shit and they didn’t play well together. Few bright spots but somehow found a way to win. That wasn’t as big of a B squad as the us’s b squad.

I like watching the A team play tbh. Lots of distain for formation and style in this thread. I’ll take it over the days that they just tried to withstand, withstand, withstand, and then counter against better teams.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is the Gold Cup a joke? The lineup seemed a bit strange for a tournament you actually care about.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pretty much. Mexico actually sent 9 guys that were at the last tourney that the us won as well.