Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sitting in the waiting room - three thoughts

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Waiting as my car gets an oil change. Eurooean soccer is on the TV. Saw a referee with a nose ring. Never seen that before. Not good or bad, just a first.

Hungary tied France 1-1 and received a 5 minute standing ovation from their fans. I can't wrap my head around that.

The studio hosts were in London. They were having a low-key, calm discussion about the match. It wasn't a bunch of morons shouting at each other like you'd see with ESPN and Stephen A Smith, etc. I must say its refreshing to watch.

Comments

• QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,060
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    How many timeouts did they call to dissect and review plays?
  • GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    You have to find the match thread. That’s where all the action is.
  • GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061

France's skwaad is ranked #2 in the world by FIFA. Hungary is #37. Ties happen in soccer (and can technically happen in football). If the Huskies went to five overtimes (or whatever it is) with Alabama and tied, the fans would probably rush the field.

Hungary tying France 1-1 is a massive result for them.

The more you know.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited June 2021
    Baseman said:

Women's soccer>Men's soccer. Men flop and act like little girls.

Girls play like men and beat the shit out of each other. No one gives a shot about soccer unless you have daughters that play (no pics).

Hope Solo obligatory

Another Emmy worthy gif production by Splitz
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,702
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Soccer was my sport growing up. 19 yrs pretty serious… then discovered drugs and alcohol. Love love watching it.

Still prefer a college or nfl football game.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,065

Waiting as my car gets an oil change. Eurooean soccer is on the TV. Saw a referee with a nose ring. Never seen that before. Not good or bad, just a first.

Hungary tied France 1-1 and received a 5 minute standing ovation from their fans. I can't wrap my head around that.

The studio hosts were in London. They were having a low-key, calm discussion about the match. It wasn't a bunch of morons shouting at each other like you'd see with ESPN and Stephen A Smith, etc. I must say its refreshing to watch.

ISAFNRC
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I worked with a bunch of brits and they convinced me to watch soccer with them for a World Cup - kind of good change of pace. I have watched a few of the bigger matches coming out this summer with the Euro and S American teams.

ESPN SUCKS they make a big deal out of feelings - they always try to get the up close and personal view of someone's injury, the social impacts, etc. Just show the effing game and keep the commentary to a minimum you fucks. Taylor TweetMan is a fag.

Anyway the soccer games are better than watching a bunch of NBA, NHL, and women's (or half men's) sports.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Hungary fans are Nebraska classy
    They don't call Nebraska the Hungary of the Midwest fer nothin.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nebraska classy.

That said, soccer is a good sport for little kids, girls, and boys who suck at sports.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Girls play like men and beat the shit out of each other. No one gives a shot about soccer unless you have daughters that play (no pics).

Hope Solo obligatory

My kids played and I didn’t give a shit about soccer. Some of the most miserable days of my life. At least I was about to skip a lot of the games and go to husky games. Back when college football was still fun. Now I’m not so sure what’s better, husky football or little kids running around in the rain.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Hope Solo obligatory

This gif will always receive a chin
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

Sounds boring as fuck
    edited June 2021

Baseman said:

Hope Solo obligatory

My kids played and I didn’t give a shit about soccer. Some of the most miserable days of my life. At least I was about to skip a lot of the games and go to husky games. Back when college football was still fun. Now I’m not so sure what’s better, husky football or little kids running around in the rain.
    Sounds like your kids sucked. When mine started playing during the Ty era, it made it that much easier to kiss my seats goodbye.

State Cup Championships. Western Region champs. The girls' soccer clubs cared more and did more about winning than UW football who can't win a NY6. Lots of girls have full rides to D1 schools and don't sit out championship or consolation games like Taylor Rapp.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Hope Solo obligatory

Sounds like your kids sucked. When mine started playing during the Ty era, it made it that much easier to kiss my seats goodbye.

State Cup Championships. Western Region champs. The girls' soccer clubs cared more and did more about winning than UW football who can't win a NY6. Lots of girls have full rides to D1 schools and don't sit out championship or consolation games like Taylor Rapp.
    Any Nattys?
    TommySQC said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Hope Solo obligatory

Any Nattys?
    No Natty.