Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This Day in Music June 14

1931 - Junior Walker
American soul singer and multi-instrumentalist Junior Walker. He had the 1966 US & UK Top 20 single 'How Sweet It Is', and the 1969 US No.4 single 'What Does It Take, To Win Your Love'. Walker also played sax on Foreigner's 1981 hit ‘Urgent.’ He died of cancer on 23 November 1995 aged 64.

1943 - Spooner Oldham
Spooner Oldham, American songwriter and session musician, organist, best known as part of the studio backing band known as the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section of Alabama. He played on many hits including, Percy Sledge (When a Man Loves a Woman), Aretha Franklin (Respect,, Wilson Pickett (Mustang Sally) and worked with Bob Dylan, Delaney Bramlett, Willy DeVille, Joe Cocker, the Hacienda Brothers, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, the Everly Brothers, Dickey Betts, Cat Power, J. J. Cale and many others.

1945 - Rod Argent
English musician, singer, songwriter, composer, and record producer Rod Argent who was a member of The Zombies who had the 1964 UK No.12 single 'She's Not There' and went on to form the band Argent Argent who had the 1972 UK No.5 single 'Hold Your Head Up'.

1949 - Alan White
English drummer and songwriter Alan White, best known for his tenure in the progressive rock band Yes. In 1969, he joined the Plastic Ono Band after John Lennon invited him to play at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival festival. This led to drum work on Imagine and "Instant Karma!" for Lennon and All Things Must Pass by George Harrison.

1961 - Boy George
George O'Dowd, (Boy George), English singer, songwriter, DJ, fashion designer and photographer. As lead singer of the Grammy and Brit Award winning Culture Club, he scored the 1983 UK No.1 & 1984 US No.1 single 'Karma Chameleon' and global hits 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me', and 'Time' (Clock of the Heart). As a solo artists George had the 1987 UK No.1 single 'Everything I Own'. He became a coach on The Voice UK in 2016.

1961 - Patsy Cline
Patsy Cline was seriously injured in a car accident. During her two month hospital stay, her song "I Fall to Pieces" gave the singer her first Country No.1 and also became a huge country-pop crossover hit.

1974 - Ray Stevens
Ray Stevens was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Streak' a song about the latest British craze of streaking, (running naked in a public place).

1980 - Billy Joel
Billy Joel started a six-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Glass Houses', his second US No.1 album. The album features Joel's first song to peak at No.1 on Billboard's Pop Singles chart, 'It's Still Rock and Roll to Me.'