Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Friends Reunion

13»

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,407
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I was a Seinfeld nerd and never got halfway through season 1 of Friends

Matt La Blanc was great on a Showtime series about a washed up actor. Played himself with a sense of humor

I don't think I got past two episodes of Friends, despite the allegations of @puppylove_sugarsteel
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,069
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I think I like sitcoms that most other people don't like. Arrested Development is my all timer. King of Queens. Northmen. Etc. I always thought Curb and Seinfeld were okay, but not the all timers everyone else did. Friends is utter shit. Only redeeming quality is Rachel and Monicas perkies.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,336
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I think I like sitcoms that most other people don't like. Arrested Development is my all timer. King of Queens. Northmen. Etc. I always thought Curb and Seinfeld were okay, but not the all timers everyone else did. Friends is utter shit. Only redeeming quality is Rachel and Monicas perkies.

I've always gravitated toward sketch shows or animated stuff, but when I think of live-action sitcoms, AD is definitely king shit of turd mountain. Married With Children was definitely my launching off point. Way underrated show, as somebody pointed out above. Friends always sucked to me. I liked Seinfeld, and there are some seasons for which it really pays off to watch in order (back before this was a thing with every show). I really got into Trailer Park Boys, but not sure if you could call that a sitcom. More recently, Ted Lasso was surprisingly great.

Have you seen Letterkenny? That's the latest for me. Letterkenny was pretty much made for Hardcore Husky.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,886
    Standard Supporter

Friends was recorded in front of a live studio audience.

In the same sense that the Dwags played in front of a live crowd at Husky Stadium in 2020, sure. I think for a real crowd of people to laugh in the exact same way for the exact same length of time with the exact same two or three people trailing off a little longer 957 times in 22 minutes is monkeys typing Shakespeare levels of coincidence.
    Most sitcoms in the 90s were filmed in front of a live studio audience. The laughter you hear in all these shows consists of real laughs from audience (fans who wanted to watch them film as well as some hired professional laughers), and then in post production they would strengthen them or soften them as necessary for the final cut. The only time the laughs were completely piped in were for scenes shot at locations that couldn't be filmed in front of audiences.

I just watched the first 7 episodes of Friends. Not once did I hear the same laughter twice, nor did it sound any more fake than any other sitcom I've seen in the 90s. But, since you seem to know the laugh track so well, maybe you're a bigger fan than me and I don't know what I'm talking about. If you have any examples, I'm down to check them out.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

I've always gravitated toward sketch shows or animated stuff, but when I think of live-action sitcoms, AD is definitely king shit of turd mountain. Married With Children was definitely my launching off point. Way underrated show, as somebody pointed out above. Friends always sucked to me. I liked Seinfeld, and there are some seasons for which it really pays off to watch in order (back before this was a thing with every show). I really got into Trailer Park Boys, but not sure if you could call that a sitcom. More recently, Ted Lasso was surprisingly great.

Have you seen Letterkenny? That's the latest for me. Letterkenny was pretty much made for Hardcore Husky.
    Nope haven't seen it I'll try to watch unless its on Hulu because I still don't have Hulu because I'm stupid I guess.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,765
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2021

Friends was recorded in front of a live studio audience.

In the same sense that the Dwags played in front of a live crowd at Husky Stadium in 2020, sure. I think for a real crowd of people to laugh in the exact same way for the exact same length of time with the exact same two or three people trailing off a little longer 957 times in 22 minutes is monkeys typing Shakespeare levels of coincidence.
    Most sitcoms in the 90s were filmed in front of a live studio audience. The laughter you hear in all these shows consists of real laughs from audience (fans who wanted to watch them film as well as some hired professional laughers), and then in post production they would strengthen them or soften them as necessary for the final cut. The only time the laughs were completely piped in were for scenes shot at locations that couldn't be filmed in front of audiences.

I just watched the first 7 episodes of Friends. Not once did I hear the same laughter twice, nor did it sound any more fake than any other sitcom I've seen in the 90s. But, since you seem to know the laugh track so well, maybe you're a bigger fan than me and I don't know what I'm talking about. If you have any examples, I'm down to check them out.
    If you watched 7 episodes of friends without killing yourself, you are as tenacious as a Viking Warrior.

But with very bad taste.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Bolded points one and two: So pretty much exactly like piped in stadium crowd noise over a small actual crowd like I compared it to?

Bolded point three: I'm not going to find examples for the same reason I'm not going to hit myself in the balls with a hammer to see how badly it hurts.

I was at a friend's house when I was in high school, and he was watching Friends. I went to the kitchen to make a sammich, so for five minutes I couldn't see the show but I could hear it. About three minutes in, I was never able to watch again. The sheer frequency of over the top laughter (at anything) and how same it was drove me nuts. No idea what season or episode, but that was the end for me.
    Swaye said:

Nope haven't seen it I'll try to watch unless its on Hulu because I still don't have Hulu because I'm stupid I guess.

It actually is on Hulu, but that's what VPNs and bittorrent were invented for. I don't have Hulu either. Here's a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDL4DjqI690

• Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,886
    Standard Supporter
    Neither of our statements contradict each other. It's a mixture. But it's not the exact same laugh every time, and the audience laughter fluctuates based on the strength of the joke. I don't always agree with the level of audience laughter...especially the jokes about ugly naked guy. Another thing i noticed is that often times the actors mics will be cut for the last few seconds of a scene after a joke while the laughter stays at full volume, which I'm not a huge fan of either.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I had to refresh and post my last post a second time, and a last second addition was cut off: This isn't a hill I want to die on, as I don't care what shows people do and don't like. If Friends is your bag, that's cool. I was just describing the moment that ruined it for me.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,068
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,076

Swaye said:

Letterkenny is pretty fucking funny. The Throbber does a shitload of bidness with Canadians and the guys from Alberta and Saskatchewan are just like that. Fuck Toronto/Ontario guys. They are arrogant pricks.

Another older Canadian sit com that's pretty funny is Corner Gas. It used to be on Prime for free. Google that shit yourself. One of the chicks had a nice rack.

• Options
    Founders Club

Bolded points one and two: So pretty much exactly like piped in stadium crowd noise over a small actual crowd like I compared it to?

Bolded point three: I'm not going to find examples for the same reason I'm not going to hit myself in the balls with a hammer to see how badly it hurts.

I was at a friend's house when I was in high school, and he was watching Friends. I went to the kitchen to make a sammich, so for five minutes I couldn't see the show but I could hear it. About three minutes in, I was never able to watch again. The sheer frequency of over the top laughter (at anything) and how same it was drove me nuts. No idea what season or episode, but that was the end for me.
    Swaye said:

It actually is on Hulu, but that's what VPNs and bittorrent were invented for. I don't have Hulu either. Here's a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDL4DjqI690

This looks worthwhile.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Is really good.

Why isn't there already a multi-page thread talking about it? That's weird.

😅 I’m so happy* that this did in fact turn out to be a multi-page thread.

*Not as happy as Joey EATIG jam though
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,559
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    my sitcoms were more on the silly side

for some reason I was able to relate to Reverend Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNmnroyJSzo