Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Crime of the Century HBO

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,547
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Just watched part 1 of 2. Wow. Imagine being able to sell pills more addictive than heroin legally.

Nobody looks good in this. Big Pharma, Congress, the DOJ, Clinton, Bush, Chris Dodds, Rudy G.

Legal drug cartel raking in billions. I know this isn't new but I never really cared quite honestly.

I should have.

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I had a pretty major medical issue right on the eve of oxys being a thing. I got a lot of them for about a month. I get the allure. They’re pretty awesome, quite honestly.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was fond of vicodin
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,906

I was fond of vicodin

@BrettFavreDawg, true?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,909
    Had a former co-workers son die of an OD recently. Sad. But drugs on every corner and in vending machines will fix it.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Holy shit, the sales song.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,092
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Relative went to W-BY GOD-VU and got hooked and fortunately got off. Noted the amount of oxy's flooding Morgantown, and witnessed box trucks full of them being offloaded to be distributed around campus and the rest of the area.
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,366
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye said:

I somehow managed to avoid the Oxy thing, and also managed to get off the hard stuff. As we can see in my OCD bottle arranging picture the red mans poison is the only habit I can't kick. Firewater, why do I love you so?

You certainly have excellent taste in rum. Front left bottle is awesome. Can't find it anywhere here where I live.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Race's rec was enough. However to sweeten the pot for anyone else, it's an Alex Gibney joint. I got about an hour into it before nodding off, really good.

Another blast from past, 2002 news clip I think: "Rudy Giuliana has agreed to lend his considerable credibility to help Purdue Pharma..."
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Arguably the most perverse incentive structure we have in today's American economy. Rake in billions by pushing this shit and creating an epidemic, then say sorry by paying a few million in fines. Andrew Yang's proposal of jail time for the CEO and largest shareholder seems to be the only thing that could curb such a lucrative and devastating venture.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter
    “The only traditions of the Royal Navy are rum, sodomy, and the lash”. Winston Churchill
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,554
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Never taken a pain pill outside of tylenol or ibuprofen. Hope to never have to. Got a prescription for them once for wisdom teeth and I threw it away.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Cliff notes

Opioids designed for end of life cancer so it doesn't matter if you got hooked were repackaged with a time release coating and the FDA allowed language in the package that says addiction is unlikely and can be used for all pain.

The FDA guy that did that got a job with Big Pharm shortly thereafter. Sales force was unleashed to get doctors to buy buy buy. This was in 1995

Within a year everyone knew that it was highly addictive, people were dying and it was being sold on the street as well as from pill mills like you saw on TV in Justified

The DOJ finally gets a trial by 2007 and at this point the company had made around 10 billion dollars. The DOJ slapped their wrist with a 600 million dollar fine and no jail

Congressmen like Dodd and paid guys like Rudy blamed drug addicts not the company pushing the shit on patients and telling them it isn't addictive

That was part 1. Part 2 is Fentanyl

Probably the biggest mindblown.jif for me in Part 1, was seeing combines harvesting fields of poppies in Tasmania. I sorta had a thought in the last decade regarding the @Logistics of opioid production, thinking "Damn, that's got to be a lotta Afghani 3rd graders out harvesting with a razor blade." You know, old NatGeo stylee. Turns out, that was neanderthal thinking.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Cliff notes

Opioids designed for end of life cancer so it doesn't matter if you got hooked were repackaged with a time release coating and the FDA allowed language in the package that says addiction is unlikely and can be used for all pain.

The FDA guy that did that got a job with Big Pharm shortly thereafter. Sales force was unleashed to get doctors to buy buy buy. This was in 1995

Within a year everyone knew that it was highly addictive, people were dying and it was being sold on the street as well as from pill mills like you saw on TV in Justified

The DOJ finally gets a trial by 2007 and at this point the company had made around 10 billion dollars. The DOJ slapped their wrist with a 600 million dollar fine and no jail

Congressmen like Dodd and paid guys like Rudy blamed drug addicts not the company pushing the shit on patients and telling them it isn't addictive

Probably the biggest mindblown.jif for me in Part 1, was seeing combines harvesting fields of poppies in Tasmania. I sorta had a thought in the last decade regarding the @Logistics of opioid production, thinking "Damn, that's got to be a lotta Afghani 3rd graders out harvesting with a razor blade." You know, old NatGeo stylee. Turns out, that was neanderthal thinking.
    And baby soft Johnson and Johnson owned the poppy fields and supplied all the manufacturers

The Mexican Cartels are small tim compared to the full might of American Corporations and Government

We have all this regulation, allegedly, of the greedy corporations who only care about money but who is regulating the regulators? Congress was bought off as usual
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Cliff notes

And baby soft Johnson and Johnson owned the poppy fields and supplied all the manufacturers

The Mexican Cartels are small tim compared to the full might of American Corporations and Government

We have all this regulation, allegedly, of the greedy corporations who only care about money but who is regulating the regulators? Congress was bought off as usual
    Trust the experts.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,206
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2021
    Most people won't become addicted. Some people even become nauseated by these drugs. But for those with the unlucky genetics (ballpark 10% of the population), they are life altering.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Didn’t watch whole clip yet, but first few minutes are indistinguishable from interviews in Crime. Just a different drug.